• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Free bootloader Unlock key for Nokia 8.1

Search This thread

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
Disclaimer : I don't know Nokia fixed this or not and will this work for you guys but it worked for me and i want the developers to provide mass support for our Nokia 8.1 coz this is highly capable devices made stupid by HMD and fed up of lack of support by nokia

IMPORTANT: Do not verify your device on hmd unlocker app or it won't work for sure

step 1: go to website https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/bootloader sign in via Google(i did but don't think so it matters)

Step 2: Fill in required details asked and proceed directly on website and the website alone...do not verify ur imei on the nokia bootloader unlock app or this will not work 100%

Step 3: Agree all the terms and validate...u will get the unlock key from hmd global on email by which u signed in on Step 1

I am attaching the pics of the key i got...also it says it is the key for Nokia 8 but that's typo I guess but I assure u it works coz I unlocked my device also I relocked the bootloader and all the widevine works perfect after relocking the bootloader so no worries if you want to go back to stock also :D:D

I REQUEST ALL THE DEVELOPERS IF THIS WORKS FOR U GUYS PLEASE PLEASE SHOW CUSTOM ROMS AND RECOVERY SUPPORT FOR OUR NOKIA 8.1

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200622-151152.png
    Screenshot_20200622-151152.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 653

Kris Chen

Jan 10, 2013
Taoyuan
Is there any advice that ROM cannot be upgraded ? My condition is : I followed your steps to do but I couldn't flash unlock key. I returned system and found the "OEM unlock" cannot be enabled. That's why I cannot flash my unlock key.

dantemason

Jun 28, 2020
not working

Code:
# fastboot flash unlock unlock.key
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'unlock' (0 KB)...
OKAY [  0.003s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.007s

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
Is there any advice that ROM cannot be upgraded ? My condition is : I followed your steps to do but I couldn't flash unlock key. I returned system and found the "OEM unlock" cannot be enabled. That's why I cannot flash my unlock key.

Maybe its a possibility but low...although just found out yesterday that it depends on which production batch ur phone is made in....Nokia 8.1 manufactured in old batches have unlockable bootloader coz there imei is properly written

So its upon luck....which batch ur phone belongs to

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
not working

Code:
# fastboot flash unlock unlock.key
OKAY [  0.003s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.007s

Yea mate then its end for you...unfortunately but did u have the option to turn OEM unlock on developer options...

Last edited by a moderator:

dantemason

Jun 28, 2020
Yea mate then its end for you...unfortunately but did u have the option to turn OEM unlock on developer options...

Yes I have the OEM unlock on developer options, but it grayed out and not able to switch on.
And I watched the video in the telegram group you posted, executed the same command, but just didn't work.
Like you said, maybe it's end for me :crying:
Code:
$ fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
Yes I have the OEM unlock on developer options, but it grayed out and not able to switch on.
And I watched the video in the telegram group you posted, executed the same command, but just didn't work.
Like you said, maybe it's end for me :crying:
Code:
$ fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s

Well mine is also greyed out but I had enabled it in last update so it stayed on but grey

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
Disclaimer : I don't know Nokia fixed this or not and will this work for you guys but it worked for me and i want the developers to provide mass support for our Nokia 8.1 coz this is highly capable devices made stupid by HMD and fed up of lack of support by nokia

IMPORTANT: Do not verify your device on hmd unlocker app or it won't work for sure

step 1: go to website https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/bootloader sign in via Google(i did but don't think so it matters)

Step 2: Fill in required details asked and proceed directly on website and the website alone...do not verify ur imei on the nokia bootloader unlock app or this will not work 100%

Step 3: Agree all the terms and validate...u will get the unlock key from hmd global on email by which u signed in on Step 1

I am attaching the pics of the key i got...also it says it is the key for Nokia 8 but that's typo I guess but I assure u it works coz I unlocked my device also I relocked the bootloader and all the widevine works perfect after relocking the bootloader so no worries if you want to go back to stock also :D:D

I REQUEST ALL THE DEVELOPERS IF THIS WORKS FOR U GUYS PLEASE PLEASE SHOW CUSTOM ROMS AND RECOVERY SUPPORT FOR OUR NOKIA 8.1

THANKS IN ADVANCE

UPDATE: 5 guys successful unlocked with this method no need of enabling OEM unlock option just go ahead and follow the instructions of nokia gives after sending key.:D

Reactions: Nollie8969

sky0n3

Mar 10, 2012
I have an error:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
OKAY [ 0.000s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.015s
Any solution?
Thanks

simboy1234

Jul 1, 2011
i reached out to nokia care and below was the response
Nokia mobile care
I would like to inform you that unlocking the bootloader is not available at this moment

OKAY [ 0.000s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.016s

Dutchdeveloper

Jul 21, 2014
Hmmm, looks like site isn't working anymore.
I check the checkbox, but the log in to continue button stays greyed out, tried 3 different browsers.
Sadly, Looks like I have to pay for unlock. Am looking in lineageos development for this device. Too much free time after loosing job:p

mingkee

THANKS IN ADVANCE
It doesn't work with 8.3 (invalid IMEI)

Sanket Kalore

Jan 2, 2016
i reached out to nokia care and below was the response
Nokia mobile care
I would like to inform you that unlocking the bootloader is not available at this moment

OKAY [ 0.000s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.016s
Check 4th post

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

UPDATE: 5 guys successful unlocked with this method no need of enabling OEM unlock option just go ahead and follow the instructions of nokia gives after sending key.:D
    thx it did work on my phone.