• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Free Data plan!!!

Search This thread

john206

Oct 2, 2009
I recently discontinued my data plan for nexus one and my friend asked me to root his g1. I wasn't sure if it would work since I was using my simcard.

As I downgraded g1 to rc29, I had 3g!!! I thought may be wifi is on or something. but wifi was off.i searched market,web and I had fast connection!

later when i changed his rom to 2.1 eclair 3g was gone. Then I put my sim in nexus and I had again 3g for like 10 mins and it was gone. But i had 3g on g1 withr rc29 more than 2 hours.

I don't know if downgrading to different roms or radio may give everyone free data plan but I was curious if this might happen for anyone else and our incredible Developers have any idea about it.

Last edited:

evilkorn

Jun 10, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
Google Pixel 3 XL
What did you develop again?

This has to be due to the IMEI numbers or phone switch till the t-mo servers were updated. This could also cause data charges on the bill.

Data is HIGHLY regulated and they are sure to find out AND bill you for the usage of their service. This is the phone development section, not try to get away with free 3g.

jamezracer

Feb 21, 2009
evilkorn is right. When the tmo base stations see a new imei number they offer all services to make sure that you get data if you need it while they check the sim card against their servers. Once the figure that you don't have a data plan, they cut the data service. I'm afraid you will be charged for the data use.

john206

Oct 2, 2009
evilkorn you dont need to be too harsh one me :) of course im not a developer and just curious!

I thought it's ok to post it here. Well you guys know more than me. Im ok if i got charged. Thanks for replies :)

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
evilkorn you dont need to be too harsh one me :) of course im not a developer and just curious!

I thought it's ok to post it here. Well you guys know more than me. Im ok if i got charged. Thanks for replies :)

I would wait for the bill before you say you are ok with it. A while back I made some changes to my service in the evening and the next morning not quite 14 hours later I and had already built up 47 bucks in data charges because they had accidentally stopped my data plan. The kicker would be I did not use data myself and by that I mean browsing or using other data consuming apps during that time, it was just the phone downloading weather updates, email, etc. The charges add up scary fast man.

john206

Oct 2, 2009
I would wait for the bill before you say you are ok with it. A while back I made some changes to my service in the evening and the next morning not quite 14 hours later I and had already built up 47 bucks in data charges because they had accidentally stopped my data plan. The kicker would be I did not use data myself and by that I mean browsing or using other data consuming apps during that time, it was just the phone downloading weather updates, email, etc. The charges add up scary fast man.

I know what you are saying. but I just browsed market and web for like 5 min and turned it off. an hour later i turned it on and changed the rom. Btw my nexus is unlocked and it doesnt appear on tmobile website.They think I have a outdated motorolla lol

ps i asked them to disconnect data 2 3 days before that and its not my fault i got 3g :D even my tmobile doesnt show any data usage

cymru

May 24, 2007
If I didn't buy a data plan i could still go on 3G. Id just pay per MB rather than buy, say 500MB, at the start of the month on my monthly contract.

I don't get this thread at all. Just cos your not signed into a contract to get data, doesnt mean you cant use data....

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
I know what you are saying. but I just browsed market and web for like 5 min and turned it off. an hour later i turned it on and changed the rom. Btw my nexus is unlocked and it doesnt appear on tmobile website.They think I have a outdated motorolla lol

ps i asked them to disconnect data 2 3 days before that and its not my fault i got 3g :D even my tmobile doesnt show any data usage

i think you are really confused. Data has nothing to do with whether your phone is a registered t-mobile phone or not. they care that your sim is accessing their data. you WILL be charged for data per mb. You would see a 3G signal even if you had no data plan, you just wouldn't be able to connect.

john206

Oct 2, 2009
i do see 3g signal with my nexus right now and yes i cant connect.but when i changed phone to g1 and only on Rc29 rom i could access market and internet.when i upgraded to eclair 2.1 , 3g access was gone.again i downgraded and 3g was back. I also tried an att simcard(g1 was also unlocked) and no data. so that is why i assumed only on Rc29 3g was really working.

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
i do see 3g signal with my nexus right now and yes i cant connect.but when i changed phone to g1 and only on Rc29 rom i could access market and internet.when i upgraded to eclair 2.1 , 3g access was gone.again i downgraded and 3g was back. I also tried an att simcard(g1 was also unlocked) and no data. so that is why i assumed only on Rc29 3g was really working.

Tmobile has no idea what rom your phone is on. It probably has something to do with the IMEI changing. Expect a large bill.

john206

Oct 2, 2009
I also contacted Tmobile and asked if i used a retail nexus without data plan and no contract, am i able be to use the phone and not get charged? she said, u wont be able to connect to 3g even if it says 3g and no we wont charge you! and its ok not to have data plan.

john206

Oct 2, 2009
Tmobile has no idea what rom your phone is on. It probably has something to do with the IMEI changing. Expect a large bill.

i just temporarily took out my sim from nexus in order to root my friend's phone which is g1. as u know when you, u need to flash a basic rom(which is Rc29) and after u can flash any rom u want.

i did this a week ago and i called tmobile and no im not charged:)

john206

Oct 2, 2009

the reason i say im not worried is that i used g1 with my simcard for 5 mins.i turned the phone off.hour later i used it again and still had access,then i flashed a eclair and data was gone. so even if they charge me, i didnt use that much data in 5 min :).

ps i called them and im fine :D

cymru

May 24, 2007
Are you in the US? Your service providers are such balls. All I hear on these forums is problems with T-Mobile and AT&T 3G access and whatever.

Thank god for the UK where everything isn't sh!t :)

D

diversificationied

T mobile doesn't charge per megabyte of data, either you have data or you don't.

cymru

May 24, 2007
Thats stupid. In the UK if you don't have a data plan on your contract you pay per MB used or MB over your data plan allowance. On Orange anyway

john206

Oct 2, 2009
you are right. I did call them and they confirmed if you don't have data plan, you are not gonna get charged :)