Free Hot Spot/Tethering App. No Modifying needed.

Search This thread

teknowiz23

Jul 10, 2013
They have some sort of detection that has to with ip or mac addresses I think. I got a text msg on the iPhone 4 a year or two ago concerning tethering and warning me of a plan change and rate hike if continued. They make stealth tethering apps, just gotta do some research. Also from what I understand, a lot of the better roms include native/stealth hotspot creation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
They have some sort of detection that has to with ip or mac addresses I think. I got a text msg on the iPhone 4 a year or two ago concerning tethering and warning me of a plan change and rate hike if continued. They make stealth tethering apps, just gotta do some research. Also from what I understand, a lot of the better roms include native/stealth hotspot creation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

They really only go after people with the so called "unlimited" plans. However, some people on unlimited plans never get notified. I think it mostly depends on how many GB you use per month on unlimited. I think they start taking a good look around 3 to 5 GB for most people, but it still varies from person to person. If you have a set GB plan per month they are more than happy to let you tether and go over your plan amount so they can charge you extra & for the GB overage. And honestly, if you are willing to pay for the extra GBs it's none of the business how they were used.

Maybe others can reply with different experiences, but I've tethered with out a tethering plan many times and have never been notified about anything. Of course, I have the 2 GB per month plan and even with tethering have never gone over. But, like I said, others might have different stories to tell.

I think the bottom line is, if you are on an "unlimited" type of plan, you should probably be careful.

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH
I will not be upgrading my firmware until root and boot loader is confirmed to OK... But so far there are 2 users in that thread that mentioned they can no longer tether with ES File Explorer.

Personally we should have never been able to tether for free so I think it was a bug that ATT just squashed.

As for tethering detection by ATT... I've never been notified while on an android device. But when I tethered my iPad to my iPhone they called less than a day later. I do have unlimited data still.

The best scenario is for you to use a quality ROM because most of them bypass the carrier check for tethering. I personally think that If ATT really wanted to know if anybody is tethering they could but with the size of their clientele they only go for people that abuse their service. So the moral of the story is use it but don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

Oh and root and change your ROM to enjoy tethering provided through android OS instead of relying on an app :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

teknowiz23

Jul 10, 2013
They really only go after people with the so called "unlimited" plans. However, some people on unlimited plans never get notified. I think it mostly depends on how many GB you use per month on unlimited. I think they start taking a good look around 3 to 5 GB for most people, but it still varies from person to person. If you have a set GB plan per month they are more than happy to let you tether and go over your plan amount so they can charge you extra & for the GB overage. And honestly, if you are willing to pay for the extra GBs it's none of the business how they were used.

Maybe others can reply with different experiences, but I've tethered with out a tethering plan many times and have never been notified about anything. Of course, I have the 2 GB per month plan and even with tethering have never gone over. But, like I said, others might have different stories to tell.

I think the bottom line is, if you are on an "unlimited" type of plan, you should probably be careful.

Think you hit the nail on the head. I am grandfathered unlimited.. seems like they want to switch up people's plans or at least charge them extra for what they call abusing the unlimited. Oh well.. i very rarely tether anyways.. has been helpful when in a bind in the past though. I get throttled almost monthly anyway with the phone alone.

pdahiker

Dec 22, 2006
Northern California
I just confirmed this is still working at least on my phone - rooted Infuse running CM10 on ATT. :good:

Throughput seems to be pretty slow, but definitely usable for email.

joeybear23

Aug 4, 2010
Undisclosed
stores.ebay.com
Tethering with ES File Explorer still works with non-rooted I337 on MF3. At least two users have confirmed this.
Also it works the same for me on my rooted MF3.

When the 611 message comes up, just hit the home button. Then use the notification button for configuring it.

hovax615@hotmail.com

Jan 4, 2009
Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
Tethering with ES File Explorer still works with non-rooted I337 on MF3. At least two users have confirmed this.
Also it works the same for me on my rooted MF3.

When the 611 message comes up, just hit the home button. Then use the notification button for configuring it.

Worked for me non-rooted stock MF3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

jrstar96

Apr 26, 2011
no longer works on S4 Active I537 after update. now says " To enable mobile hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611" and then cancels the network.

OverHertz

Jul 18, 2013
San German
noob here. how can ATT tell you're using your phone as a mobile hotspot?

They can't. The only way for them to know if is you go to one of their sales associate and show them your phone. As long as no one from ATT sees it, it should be fine. It's not like the phone sends a notification to ATT saying "Hey, This guys is using tethering without paying for it!". So don't worry :p

joeybear23

Aug 4, 2010
Undisclosed
stores.ebay.com
no longer works on S4 Active I537 after update. now says " To enable mobile hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611" and then cancels the network.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

They can't. The only way for them to know if is you go to one of their sales associate and show them your phone. As long as no one from ATT sees it, it should be fine. It's not like the phone sends a notification to ATT saying "Hey, This guys is using tethering without paying for it!". So don't worry :p

Actually if ATT notices you have high utilization, they can dig into the packet data and find out if data requests originated from your phone or some other device, which would indicate tethering usage. This is not something they normally do, but will if your usage is very high.

Tinag379

Apr 30, 2013
Carneys Point
I can confirm this works even after update. I just tried it. Hit the home button after turning it on. Message to call 611 still pops up but I just cleared it. Set it up on my iPad mini. I've got an unlimited plan and I'm not worried. I hardly ever use the tether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

teknowiz23

Jul 10, 2013

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Actually if ATT notices you have high utilization, they can dig into the packet data and find out if data requests originated from your phone or some other device, which would indicate tethering usage. This is not something they normally do, but will if your usage is very high.

This is correct. When I was on iphone using a jailbroken "undetectable" tethering app, I was sent a message saying they were going to adjust and terminate my grandfathered unlimited plan if I continued tethering. The funny thing is.. I only tethered once, for a few minutes to download a small file to my laptop while i was away from home.

Last edited:

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH

Untrue. They have ways.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda premium

ishta21

Jul 30, 2013
Dallas
I've gotten Hotspot Control and ES Explorer to tether, but why doesn't Wifi Tether work? It looks like it's running on my S4, but it won't show up on my devices. What am I doing wrong? I'm on rooted MF3.

Last edited:

joeybear23

Aug 4, 2010
Undisclosed
stores.ebay.com
Works fine for me without changing any apk names or file permissions modifications...

I just use Nottach's Xposed mod and enable the tethering hack.
Then I start the hotspot feature and hit the home button when the 611 message comes up.

spectar1981us

Jul 17, 2013
How is this any different from just going into settings\connections\more networks\tethering and hotspots and turning on tethering from there? Wh i use es file explorer and the go back to this location it shows that it has been turned on just as if I had turned it on manually from this location. It even shows a tethering icon on my status bar. Doesn't this mean that att is being alerted that tethering is going on?

DuffmasterFresh

Apr 16, 2011
Los Angeles
I was hit with MF3 and when that 661 message popped up I was freaking out. As you guys said, I hit home button, and all went well. Does anyone know why it does that with MF3? I admit, it still scares me, do we know if they are watching that more closely now and if I use it, are my chances of being caught higher with MF3? I only use it once a month for 5 minutes, if that. But, it comes in handy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ES File Explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDMsImNvbS5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lkLnBvcCJd

The app I use is mainly for File browsing, but I've noticed with the new version is has the ability to turn on Tethering and by-pass the carrier check (on AT&T at least).

No system file modification needed.

Simply go to:
    Menu -> Tools -> Net Manager
    I am not rooted...still worked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ES File Explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDMsImNvbS5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lkLnBvcCJd

The app I use is mainly for File browsing, but I've noticed with the new version is has the ability to turn on Tethering and by-pass the carrier check (on AT&T at least).

No system file modification needed.

Simply go to:
    Menu -> Tools -> Net Manager

I had already installed this app after rooting since I love the File Browsing and the great functionality this app has but I never even noticed this setting. Thanks so much for this post, very helpful! I did hit thanks for you too :)
    Downloaded and confirmed it works. This definitely a big plus!:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2