Search This thread

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Frequently Asked Questions
about the LG Optimus 4x HD

As the Title says, this Thread is about Questions, being asked again and again...
These Questions can be about everything, Development, Device specific or what so ever.
If you have got a Question, feel free to post it here, especially if the Questions are short, to prevent discussions like the the init.d Thread.
If you post your Question here, i will most likely add it to the OP.

Now, let's get started:

Question 1) How can I root my Device?
The method that has worked for (as far as i know) everyone in this one. It is easy and (quite) safe and works for every known Firmware version, except the Brazilian and Canadian one. The Brazilian firmwares can be rooted using this method.

Update: For Jelly Bean there are 2 known ways: this one while you're on v20A and this one while upgrading from a rooted v10X to v20A

Question 2) How can I unlock my Bootloader?
The unlocking procedure is quite easy, so everyone should be able to do it :) (but that doesn't mean everyone should do it ;) )
Be aware that unlocking the Bootloader will void your warranty.
Also important: not all Bootloaders are unlockable, but we don't know why yet. (Branded phones will (according to LG) not be unlockable tho)

We've got a tutorial here, explaining step by step how to unlock the Boorloader.

For german devices, we've got a special thread here and for 234 devices we've got one here.

Question 3) Is there any CWM or TWRP or any other recovery available?
Yes, they are.

v10x (aka ICS):
The 4x HD has CWM available here and even TWRP here.
And before you ask "Are they safe to use", i honestly don't like the word "safe" because there is no 100% safety, no matter what you are doing. But in my Opinion, they are safe enough to give them a try.

v20x (aka JB):
Dexter_nlb has also made CWM for v20x versions, but it requires an unlocked Bootloader. You can get it here.
But not only CWM is available, you can have TWRP and CWM in a boot menu by gordon0001 here

We also have official Rommanager support. You can also download the recovery from there. This version is also very noob friendly, because there are no shell or fastboot commands needed. all you gotta do is to press a few buttons in the app ;)

Question 3.1) Alright, so now i've got a recovery, what about kernels?
We also have some custom kernels available. Just look though the Android development and original Android development sections and choose the one you like the most.

Question 4) Which one is the best custom ROM?
I like this Question just as much as the word "safe" :p Because there is no "best ROM". It depends on your wishes and preferences. The best thig i can tell you is to try them and to stick with the one you like the most.

Question 5) Does ....... work on my Device?
Well, there is no general answer, but most stuff you can find on XDA is working the way it it discribed in its OP. And if you're not willing to take the possible risk, you can always ask here, cause someone here on xda has tried it most likely.

If you have got a short Question, feel free to ask it here, but if it's a bigger one, please open a new Thread in Q&A section.

Some useful links at the end:
How to report posts
Forum Rules
Getting started on XDA

Last edited:

muellersmattes

Feb 18, 2012
Greifswald
AW: Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Optimus 4x HD

The linked root method doesn't work on Brazilian and Canadian firmwares.

Except that, good idea. I'll link it on my Index.

dcoop1982

Jan 20, 2013
nottingham
help

my phone is rooted. I have cwm recovery. i have cyanogenmod 10.1 and Gapps zips saved on ext sd. when i try and install cm 10.1 using cwm recovery, recovery boot, i wipe data/factory reset, install cm10.1 zip from sd card. it starts to install but then says :some symlinks failed. Error in/extsd/cm10.1 ??(with mr android lying dead on the screen lol) I install Gapps from ext sd and that says install complete. I then press the Reboot and it loads up LG security error, error!!! morningcall is empty. ??? what am i doing wrong???

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com

thanks, updated

my phone is rooted. I have cwm recovery. i have cyanogenmod 10.1 and Gapps zips saved on ext sd. when i try and install cm 10.1 using cwm recovery, recovery boot, i wipe data/factory reset, install cm10.1 zip from sd card. it starts to install but then says :some symlinks failed. Error in/extsd/cm10.1 ??(with mr android lying dead on the screen lol) I install Gapps from ext sd and that says install complete. I then press the Reboot and it loads up LG security error, error!!! morningcall is empty. ??? what am i doing wrong???

sorry, but i don't know :confused: have you tried to use the internal storage or reformatted your SD?

dcoop1982

Jan 20, 2013
nottingham
thanks, updated

sorry, but i don't know :confused: have you tried to use the internal storage or reformatted your SD?

ive reformatted my sd yesterday so all i got on it now is the 2 zip files cm10 and Gapps, when i move them in to internal sd and try recovery boot them from int sd folder, theres only install zip ext sd shown in it?? no install zip int sd?? i havent got a clue lol

muellersmattes

Feb 18, 2012
Greifswald

ive reformatted my sd yesterday so all i got on it now is the 2 zip files cm10 and Gapps, when i move them in to internal sd and try recovery boot them from int sd folder, theres only install zip ext sd shown in it?? no install zip int sd?? i havent got a clue lol

Cwm doesn't support internal atm.

Gesendet von meinem Transformer mit Tapatalk 2

wea reza

Feb 14, 2013
Hi. How can I understand specifics of the LCD of this phone?
Is there any application to find it?

Xenogenics

Jul 15, 2012
He wants to know the specifications of the LCD of this phone. Eg. How big? Gorilla Glass? Visible under sunlight? Etc.

Sent from my (Rooted, CWMed, v10h, EternityProjectByKholk) LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

friartuckme

Dec 15, 2008
cheshire
while the idea of this thread is good,its not got off too a good start.with not knowing anything regarding the phone

a few specs about the screen,

TFT LCD, Capacitive Touch
4.7 inches
TRUE HD IPS (1280 x 720)
16M+
tegra 3 gpu

wea reza

Feb 14, 2013
LCD of my phone has white pixel and LG warranty has accepted to change LCD. I want to compare these 2 LCDs because in my region LG isn't very acceptable and I worry about the service.

OS_Hacking

Sep 10, 2012
Hi ,
I have V10H ,, I 'Never' get a working Recovery (both CWM & TWRP) when I install them it works for about 3 reboots (I didn't install any MOD) .
Then bootloop so I have to reflash .kdz .
The problem is that I get the bootloop when I need the phone , sometimes in school . Flashing *.kdz is easy but needs PC .
So I'm the only who has this problem ??

EDIT:- TWRP Works perfect .

Sent From My LG-P880 (O4X) .
By Pressing "THANKS" You Will Help Me .

Last edited:

Greycloud

May 14, 2011
In stock condition, how much space is reserved for apps in O4X? Also, can we move apps to sd card or in user accessible partion of internal memory without rooting?

well internal I have 12gb of space (/data/media is mounted as sdcard) . enough for games like max payne or gta3. never tried to move apps to sd but it should work fine. I don't know if it is root required but rooting the device is done in 2 minutes

Gesendet von meinem LG-P880 mit Tapatalk 2

Greycloud

May 14, 2011
well internal I have 12gb of space (/data/media is mounted as sdcard) . enough for games like max payne or gta3. never tried to move apps to sd but it should work fine. I don't know if it is root required but rooting the device is done in 2 minutes

So one can use entire 12gb for apps & games right?

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus

Root is required to use sd files on external, you can use directory bind or gltosd, personally I find directory bind is better as it works for all games

Sent from my LG-P880

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

So one can use entire 12gb for apps & games right?

Yes

Sent from my LG-P880

Reactions: Greycloud

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    about the LG Optimus 4x HD

As the Title says, this Thread is about Questions, being asked again and again...
    These Questions can be about everything, Development, Device specific or what so ever.
    If you have got a Question, feel free to post it here, especially if the Questions are short, to prevent discussions like the the init.d Thread.
    If you post your Question here, i will most likely add it to the OP.

Now, let's get started:

Question 1) How can I root my Device?
    The method that has worked for (as far as i know) everyone in this one. It is easy and (quite) safe and works for every known Firmware version, except the Brazilian and Canadian one. The Brazilian firmwares can be rooted using this method.

Update: For Jelly Bean there are 2 known ways: this one while you're on v20A and this one while upgrading from a rooted v10X to v20A

Question 2) How can I unlock my Bootloader?
    The unlocking procedure is quite easy, so everyone should be able to do it :) (but that doesn't mean everyone should do it ;) )
    Be aware that unlocking the Bootloader will void your warranty.
    Also important: not all Bootloaders are unlockable, but we don't know why yet. (Branded phones will (according to LG) not be unlockable tho)

We've got a tutorial here, explaining step by step how to unlock the Boorloader.

For german devices, we've got a special thread here and for 234 devices we've got one here.

Question 3) Is there any CWM or TWRP or any other recovery available?
    Yes, they are.

v10x (aka ICS):
    The 4x HD has CWM available here and even TWRP here.
    And before you ask "Are they safe to use", i honestly don't like the word "safe" because there is no 100% safety, no matter what you are doing. But in my Opinion, they are safe enough to give them a try.

v20x (aka JB):
    Dexter_nlb has also made CWM for v20x versions, but it requires an unlocked Bootloader. You can get it here.
    But not only CWM is available, you can have TWRP and CWM in a boot menu by gordon0001 here

We also have official Rommanager support. You can also download the recovery from there. This version is also very noob friendly, because there are no shell or fastboot commands needed. all you gotta do is to press a few buttons in the app ;)

Question 3.1) Alright, so now i've got a recovery, what about kernels?
    We also have some custom kernels available. Just look though the Android development and original Android development sections and choose the one you like the most.

Question 4) Which one is the best custom ROM?
    I like this Question just as much as the word "safe" :p Because there is no "best ROM". It depends on your wishes and preferences. The best thig i can tell you is to try them and to stick with the one you like the most.

Question 5) Does ....... work on my Device?
    Well, there is no general answer, but most stuff you can find on XDA is working the way it it discribed in its OP. And if you're not willing to take the possible risk, you can always ask here, cause someone here on xda has tried it most likely.

If you have got a short Question, feel free to ask it here, but if it's a bigger one, please open a new Thread in Q&A section.

Some useful links at the end:
    How to report posts
    Forum Rules
    Getting started on XDA
    this might be a frequent question...
    what is the best and more stable rom for everyday use(camera,fm radio...)?

thanks in advance

Official jellybean IMO, cm10.1 doesn't have FM radio included. There is also ZAIBEN ROM which I am using now, has a few tweaks and some bloatware removed. And if you play any heavy games I recommend you use IODAK kernel with it

Sent from my rooted P880
    Just so there's a definitive answer, as i've gone through several threads and countless posts with conflicting information;

is there currently no way to B/L unlock and root a V10F canadian O4X without rolling back the firmware?

EDIT

also, in Settings > About Phone > Software Update, if i check Check now for update i get "your device not registered yet". how does one go about registering the device?

only v20x bootloaders can be unlocked.
    for registering your device, you need to have the right firmware installed (the one that matches your country ;) )

Okay thanks, could you please also tell me what unsecure image is for?

it's simply tha stock kernel, but "unsecured". meaning: adb is now always allowed to run as root.
    IMO, if you're not a dev, you don't need it ;) but if you want it, it doesn't harm you :p

Hi folks, Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but i cannot find a solution.. My AP Bootloader Version is UNKNOWN. Any ideas of how to check it?
    Thanks..

this "feature" is not implemented yet AFAIK. but you don't need it ;)
    Yes..The cwm is 6.0.4.4 ...still no luck.. :(

Problem could be that you are using an ota incremental update from 05 to 24. that's a 2 week jump, perhaps you need to go to 06-07-08 etc. So i suggest downloading the full Rom from Mokee dev page of the latest nightly.

Hmm, I wouldn't know then.. But perhaps this is a question for in a MoKee thread?

Status 7 is usually get.prop error, that which identifies your device. It aborts if it's not the right device, so may have been also a corrupt download, or as i said above just too big a jump for an incremental update.
    A lot of people had trouble with your method including me, in which case method in the OP should be used, this has a higher success rate.

Sent from my rooted P880

I just point my post for two reasons:

1st and main reason, all needed files are there, including FW in .dz format and right .dll for the different versions, latest drivers, etc...

2nd, in my OS (Win7 Pro x64) everything works perfect... Its just a way to jump the port settings in device manager, the rest nothing changes.

The method in OP is still there :) , I even use to advice people to follow it in case of any issues with mine (mine is the same, just don't need to change the port settings...).

Now, people are free to use one or the other method. I'm not giving any wrong or tricky information, just tried to make it simple as possible.
    :cool: