• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question From branded to unbranded official ROM

Search This thread

ohtoulouz

Feb 2, 2011
Hello,
I am new to Xiami and want to flash the GLOBAL EU ROM to get rid of my french SFR ROM (also GLOBAL) that is outdated. I have read a lot of posts but I am not 100% sure that I can do that (only 95%!). As far as I understand:
- I have to unlock the bootloader,
- Then flash the EU ROM with Mi flash tool,
- Then re-lock the bootloader: this is where I am not sure. Some posts say that I can re-lock it because both ROMs are official and 'GLOBAL"; other posts say that ROMs need to have exactly the same reference to avoid bricking the phone.

To my mind, I feel logical to be able to re-lock the bootlader as soon as both ROMs are official and "GLOBAL". Could you please help me, confirming or not that I can re-lock the bootloader?

Cheers.

fivex

Nov 23, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11
Never relock bootloader when you're on any ROM that the device didn't ship with. It will hard brick your device.
Hello,
I am new to Xiami and want to flash the GLOBAL EU ROM to get rid of my french SFR ROM (also GLOBAL) that is outdated. I have read a lot of posts but I am not 100% sure that I can do that (only 95%!). As far as I understand:
- I have to unlock the bootloader,
- Then flash the EU ROM with Mi flash tool,
- Then re-lock the bootloader: this is where I am not sure. Some posts say that I can re-lock it because both ROMs are official and 'GLOBAL"; other posts say that ROMs need to have exactly the same reference to avoid bricking the phone.

To my mind, I feel logical to be able to re-lock the bootlader as soon as both ROMs are official and "GLOBAL". Could you please help me, confirming or not that I can re-lock the bootloader?

Cheers.

boomdox

Feb 8, 2015
Staffordshire
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Never relock bootloader when you're on any ROM that the device didn't ship with. It will hard brick your device.
I had a UK MI11 with the Vodafone branded firmware, and I flashed the global unbranded version and locked the bootloader afterwards with no problems at all, I just relocked the bootloader with a fastboot command and the phone was fine ?

Reactions: ohtoulouz

Top Liked Posts