• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question From Pixel 4a to Flip 3 - Getting Google Back

Search This thread

highmileage

Mar 25, 2011
Hi guys, and thank you for all of the informative posts in this forum. I recently traded my 4a for a Flip 3, and find myself really missing so many elements of the pure Android 11 experience. Any advice on how to get a little functionality back?

- Multitasking pane behavior: the window switcher button automatically flips to the previous app instead of just bringing up the app tray. Additionally, my beloved Screenshot and Select tray buttons are gone - I just started getting used to using the picture copy functionality.

- Dialer: I installed the Google Phone app and have it set as my default calling app, but incoming calls still don't have the Decline / Screen / Accept red/blue/green buttons.

- Settings shade menu: I'd like the brightness control to appear at the very top of the pulldown. Really, I just want stock Android everywhere.

- App tray: flick up to get to your apps, but then have to flick sideways to page through them? Ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate the idea of bloating my phone with a ton of apps to customize the experience, but it seems like there's no way to run a stock Android launcher in place of OneUI.

Zirox

Nov 6, 2016
Don't want to come across as a jack ass but sounds like you need to switch back to pixel phones. Or like one other person said try good luck from Samsung store.

Hi guys, and thank you for all of the informative posts in this forum. I recently traded my 4a for a Flip 3, and find myself really missing so many elements of the pure Android 11 experience. Any advice on how to get a little functionality back?

- Multitasking pane behavior: the window switcher button automatically flips to the previous app instead of just bringing up the app tray. Additionally, my beloved Screenshot and Select tray buttons are gone - I just started getting used to using the picture copy functionality.

Give some of the Samsung features a try. You are talking the difference of a single click to return to the previous app and there are only about 10 ways to take a screenshot, ranging from gestures to keys.

- Dialer: I installed the Google Phone app and have it set as my default calling app, but incoming calls still don't have the Decline / Screen / Accept red/blue/green buttons.

- App tray: flick up to get to your apps, but then have to flick sideways to page through them? Ridiculous.

There are 1000 custom apps for this stuff, but you only need one of each. Once you find ones you are satisfied with, it's not incredibly hard to hide the stock ones away and forget they exist

- Settings shade menu: I'd like the brightness control to appear at the very top of the pulldown. Really, I just want stock Android everywhere.

Pull down your notification bar. Now pull it down all the way. Hit the three dots in the upper right. Click quick panel layout. Slide the option to do this to the enabled state.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate the idea of bloating my phone with a ton of apps to customize the experience, but it seems like there's no way to run a stock Android launcher in place of OneUI.

If you want a truly stock experience, unlock the bootloader and build a generic version. Samsung hands you all the tools and instructions.

As for advice, I suggest actually trying the phone before trying to make it a Pixel. It isn't. It never will be. If you prefer Pixel, stick with Pixel.