Front Buttons INOP?!?

Search This thread

Philux

Feb 25, 2007
I have searched this and could not come up with any fixes, but here goes.
On my 8525 most of my front buttons would quite working (Send, End, OK, Start Menu, and Both Top Menu select buttons) on every Cingular 2.06 Rom. This would be a daily thing that could be fixed by a soft reset. Then I upgraded to XDA Live 2.0 everything worked great for a while when all of a sudden all of the front buttons stopped working, all of them except the dpad. I did a soft reset and even a hard reset, and every time it would still not be working. I freaked out the only thing I could think to do is to downgrade to the original Rom 1.34 that was on it when I received it so I could try to send it in for warranty. After the downgrade all the buttons have been working now.:confused:
So in my mind I am thinking this is a software issue rather than a hardware problem. But if that is the case what would cause this? Is there any kind of fix?

I really want to put WM6 back on my device, but not at the cost of my hardware buttons.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Philux

Feb 25, 2007
Aww cmon nobody has anything to say and nobody has ever run into this? Should I just try to reupgrade with different radio and BL. Would the BL or the Radio have any remote relation to this problem?
Need your help here GuRu's.:)

KevinBaker

Dec 2, 2006
Melbourne
Never heard of this problem before. There is a fix for the 8525 keyboard in the XDA Live extras, but I'm almost certain it doesn't affect the front buttons.

I'd almost say that its a problem physically with a broken/barely connected button membrane or something similar.. and the action of you moving the phone to reset it/pressing the button is enough to connect it again.

If you're sure its working 100% now, try flashing XDA Live again and seeing if it kills it again!

TaurusBullba

Retired Senior Moderator - The Bull Is Back
Sep 15, 2006
In your SIM slot
Aww cmon nobody has anything to say and nobody has ever run into this? Should I just try to reupgrade with different radio and BL. Would the BL or the Radio have any remote relation to this problem?
Need your help here GuRu's.:)

Just a couple ideas. First, what 3rd party apps have you installed after upgrading and have you changed anything in the "softkey" program? Also, when you said you did a hard reset, was it a real hard reset, or just a power down? Some people at first get the two mixed up.

Also, the radio and bl wouldn't have anything to do with a problem like this.

cyberdrakula

Oct 24, 2005
New York
Like TAURUSBulba said, I would think that it HAS to do with some cab/registry or executable you install that is common to all the ROMS that makes it do this. I would suggest you check out your installed applications and research what might create this problem.

Philux

Feb 25, 2007
The Rest was an actual "hard reset" with nothing else installed on phone except for system files (fresh system). I did not think the BL or Radio would have anything to do with it, I just wanted to be sure. I will try to re-upgrade to XDA Live 2.0 again when I can find some extra time. I will post results if anything changes or I continue to keep having this problem.
I appreciate your feedback.

Thank You:)

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone