Froyo 2.2 Keyboard in 2.1

Search This thread

sushichef

Jul 17, 2009
The keyboard is incredible in 2.2 froyo on the evo, but i'd love to see it in 2.1. I've tried to install the apk in froyo through adb to fresh .3, but no avail.

The apk is designed for 2.2, so it cannot be installed on 2.1, and gets a [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK] error.

So what would need to probably happen for it to run on 2.1 is for it to be decompiled and then recompiled under 2.1. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

PS if you havent used the froyo stock keyboard, its amazing.

soxozor

Feb 18, 2010
What are the major differences? Aside from the keyboard and its numbers?

I would be impressed if the keyboard was enabled multi touch.

MrDSL

Nov 17, 2006
I didn't even know it did that till I saw that video...

Just tried it and it works like a charm.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk

MrDSL

Nov 17, 2006
Yes froyo has that..actually I think the voice to txt is more accurate in froyo also.

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
Yes froyo has that..actually I think the voice to txt is more accurate in froyo also.

Cool idea.. but I wouldn't use it. Even his example got cumbersome.. like a zip code. Why not just switch to numeric and type it, rather then dragging up on every character. Plus, the sense keyboard already has these extras programmed into the keys with a long press. Doesn't intrigue me too much.

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
I can tell due to lack of punctuation. :D

You guys know you can speak punctuation too right? Not that I'm telling you to, but just in case anyone didn't know that. "period" will give you a period , "question mark" a question mark. Im sure you get it

MrDSL

Nov 17, 2006
I can tell due to lack of punctuation. :D

You guys know you can speak punctuation too right? Not that I'm telling you to, but just in case anyone didn't know that. "period" will give you a period , "question mark" a question mark. Im sure you get it

yeah but i just find that weird..im afraid if i start doing that then maybe it might carry over in real conversation LMAO!!

nope not gonna happen you will have to deal with my lack of punctuation and grammar also I'm sure! :D

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
yeah but i just find that weird..im afraid if i start doing that then maybe it might carry over in real conversation LMAO!!

nope not gonna happen you will have to deal with my lack of punctuation and grammar also I'm sure! :D

Haha yeah, especially if anyone else hears you.

Speech to text is pretty good, long as you speak clearly. I used to use whatever is built into the xda keyboard but now my evo keyboard has it

MrDSL

Nov 17, 2006
Wait... your posts are from the speech to text in Froyo???? Or Eclair? Because unless it learns over time, I found speech to text to be terrible...

some of them are it just depends on if i am driving etc. its not perfect but it works surprisingly better then any other speech to txt i have tried.

wildcard

Sep 11, 2005
Wait... your posts are from the speech to text in Froyo???? Or Eclair? Because unless it learns over time, I found speech to text to be terrible...

I use it on 2.1 and it works great every time. It gets names right, and even can do smilies (ie: say "happy face", or LOL etc.). Even does punctuation... it's great...