FroYo Freezes fix

marclh1992

Jun 30, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Use with 2.0.54 only, root is not yet available with 2.0.71

disclaimer: swap IS evil, you don't want it! Swap is a dirty workaround for crappy hardware (well somekind of) ... Don't complain if you put a swapfile on your internal memory (the 8 or 16GB flash disk) and it will stop working. Swap read and write like hell, so if you want to try it, please use an external disk, like usb, or better: micro SD. And of course i'm not responsible for anything ...

a) download http://hitme.resetbutton.de/priv/swapfiles.zip
b) unzip it somewhere on your PC
c) pick what you want ... i prepared a 128, 256 and 512MB swapfile in it. It might be smart to start with 256MB
d1) connect to your PC and use the dropdown area (on the Archos notification bar) to enable file transfers
d2) on my system the sd card is mounted on windows as "removable disk" .. the internal is A101IT, so if you have a sd card use "removable disk"
d3) transfer the file (the size you want, or all) to your Archos device, as i said: internal memory might be a bad idea, use a sd card
d4) on a windows system use the "safe remove hardware" or whatever it's called and unmount the disk form the archos. After that, on the archos at the orange Android screen: click the button
e) use z4root to root your device temporarily ( you can find it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953 or google for z4root)
f) use the first option in z4root! a permanent root will not work (at the moment). If it's not working: enable USB debugging AND connect it to a PC
g) download a terminal if you haven't so far. Search in the market for "terminal emulator"
h) start the terminal and enter: su
at the first time you will get a request that you really want it. If you don't get it: root didn't work, happens sometimes. Power off your device and try again at e)
i) locate where you put your swapfile ... it should be /mnt/storage/sdcard, or if you don't have a sd card: /mnt/storage
j) go into the directory by typing: cd /mnt/storage/sdcard ... or cd /mnt/storage (without a sdcard)
you can list the content of the directory with: ls
k) type: swapon swap256
or the file you copied (swap128, swap256, swap512)
l) type: free
you should now see that you have swap memory
m) report back which file works best for you!

This will now work until you reboot your device. If you do: start again at e) .. of course you don't have to download z4root or the terminal again, so it's:
root with z4root
start terminal and enter su
goto the directory where the swapfile is (cd something)
swapon swap256 ( or whatever you used)
control with: free
done

WARNING: if you use a swapfile, which is described here, you can't use a usb connection to copy files without doing this:
start the terminal, enter: su
go to the directory where the file is ( cd /mnt/storage/sdcard or /mnt/storage) and do:
swapoff swap256 (or whatever you used)

This mini howto is for a swapFILE ... the advantage is that you don't have to make new partitions on your sdcard, but it might be a little bit slower than a swapPARTITION. If i have more time i will wikify this and extend it with the partition part ...

Credits go to http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=42718

Last edited:

timjjcarter

Dec 2, 2010
Is there any way to make that into a script that can be run during boot?

Also - you can download terminal emulator from Archos Aps and no root required.

rchav

May 27, 2010
I tried this successfully in my Archos 101 but using the Internal Storage, not the SD card itself. I ran it for 3 hours straight opening very heavy stuff. It solves the stability issue, now my 101 doesn't hang when I open too much stuff.

My only concern is that the swap file operation may shorten the lifespan of the media because such media usually has a finite number or write operation cycles to it.

anurbanlegend

Aug 29, 2007
Just enabled a swap512 on a spare sdcard i had. Initial impressions is... WOW this thing flies! Apps are just popping open now with no lag and flicking screen to screen is almost instant. Will report back on the stability after I've had a chance to play with it but THANK YOU OP!!

timjjcarter

Dec 2, 2010
Wow this worked great. My system is flying.

A put the 512 on an 8gb sd card.

I opened dolphin with 8 tabs, angry birds seasons paused after playing no problem. Then opened regular angry birds and played that with all others still running. No issue.

I also have music playing in the background.

I opened the my piano ap and played that with all others in the background.

Works just perfectly.

Here are my memory stats under free

used: 242148 free 2604

swap
used: 143652 free 380628

Kashban

Oct 25, 2009
www.kashban.de
I'm going to try this too... once I got the archos rooted again... z4root isn't very reliable to be honest. Currently it's not working 90% of the time. But that's another issue in another thread.

Kashban

Oct 25, 2009
www.kashban.de
Working fine too... I'm using launcher pro, started some apps, played angry birds seasons and yet no freeze.

Firefox beta was unusable without swap, now working like a charme. I'm checkin on Dolphin HD next.

aamon17

Jul 18, 2006
true. z4root closes unexpectedly (=crashes).
so far no freezes with new firmware :)
Not true. I'm on the latest firmware, running Z4Root temp rooted, and swapping 512. Not sure why it'd not working for you guys.

EDIT: I didn't see the latest posted in the forum. I'm still on 2.0.54, not the newest

Last edited:

jakkrith

Jun 19, 2007
Bangkok
www.siamecohost.com
I have already tried on microSD and found it work fine.

#free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 244048 240692 3356 0 5260
Swap: 262136 0 262136
Total: 506184 240692 265492

Archos 101 - 16 GB + microSD 8 GB setCPU max: 1000 min 800