• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Froyo Root Instructions using Superoneclick And Unrooting

Search This thread

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
ROOTING:

Since z4root, one of the easiest ways to root, is not working on Froyo in Galaxy 3, I decided to make this separate thread for instructions on how to root Froyo using Superoneclick.

First and foremost: Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development. Make sure it is ticked.

Download the attached Superoneclickv1.5.zip file. Extract its contents. Make sure your phone drivers are installed on the computer (Samsung Kies). Then follow the steps:

1. From the extracted contents, run the file named Superoneclick.
2. Turn off your phone, then connect it to the computer using the USB Cable. Don't turn on the phone. Keep it off but connected to the computer.
3. In Superoneclick, click on the 'Root' button. After a few seconds, it'll say 'Waiting for device'.
4. Now turn on your phone (while it is still connected to the computer). Superoneclick will detect the phone.
5. Now the phone will be rooted, while it is starting up. When it is started, it'll be rooted.
6. After rooting, download and install busybox on your phone. It should take care of any slowing down of your phone after rooting.

That's it. The phone is now rooted, although it would be so much better if z4root worked on Froyo..

For those getting stuck at the 'pushing raceagainstthecage' step, try this method. Credits go to haree:

1. login as admin and then open the application. Or right click on Superoneclick.exe and click on 'Run as administrator'.

2. turn off ur Virus protection

3. remove all the additional external USB devices(this seems to confuse the SW)
i removed all the above mentioned

and then follow the instructions u will be successful:D
it worked for me now i have 2.2 and rooted :D:D

UNROOTING INSTRUCTIONS:

Unfortunately, the method to unroot by clicking on the Unroot button in Superoneclick does not work. So follow the following steps to unroot.

1. Download rootexplorer.apk (attached) and install Root Explorer on phone.
2. Run Root Explorer. A 'Superuser Request' prompt will come up. Press Allow.
3. Now, on the top, there will be a button saying 'Mount R/W'. Press it. It should change to 'Mount R/O'. The button should say 'Mount R/O' in order for you to be able to do anything in the following steps.
4. Now scroll to the bottom, click on system. Then click on bin.
5. In the bin folder, look for a file named 'su'. Long press on this file, and select Delete to delete it.
6. Now go back to the system folder by pressing the Back button once.
7. Now enter the app folder. Scroll down and look for the file named 'superuser.apk'. Long press on this file and delete it.
8. Exit Root Explorer after this. Uninstall it if you don't want to use it.
9. That's it. Your phone will be un-rooted.

Another method to unroot:
1. Download and install Terminal Emulator (attached).
2. Run Terminal Emulator on the phone. If you don't see a keyboard to type, press Menu and press Toggle Soft Keyboard.
3. Type su and press enter. Press Allow on the 'Superuser Request' prompt. The $ sign will change to a #.
4. Now type the following line exactly as it is and press enter: mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
5. Nothing will happen visually. The pointer will shift to a new line.
6. Now type the following line and press enter: rm /system/bin/su
7. Again, type following line and press enter: rm /system/app/superuser.apk.
8. Now exit Terminal Emulator. Your phone is un-rooted.

Attachments

• busybox.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,187
  • SuperOneClickv1.5.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,507
  • rootexplorer.apk
    204.9 KB · Views: 458,539
  • Terminalemulator.apk
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,457
Last edited:

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Hehe, first i thought it makes no sense to write a howto on this since its described in the SOC thread anyway, but man the idea to do it during boot is ubercool, didn't think of that...

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
Hehe, first i thought it makes no sense to write a howto on this since its described in the SOC thread anyway, but man the idea to do it during boot is ubercool, didn't think of that...

I know it's explained in the SOC thread, but many people keep asking on the "Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5800: root, gps fix, upgrading" thread about rooting Froyo, so I thought it's better to have one SOC thread right in the Galaxy 3's Development Section. It'll save everyone reading through a lot of pages on that thread..

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
I know it's explained in the SOC thread, but many people keep asking on the "Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5800: root, gps fix, upgrading" thread about rooting Froyo, so I thought it's better to have one SOC thread right in the Galaxy 3's Development Section. It'll save everyone reading through a lot of pages on that thread..
hi
when i see a few reports that this is working for our G3 ill add this link to the roll up thread:D very nice of you to give this info to all keep up the good work:D:D

one question will this also un root the phone

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
hi
when i see a few reports that this is working for our G3 ill add this link to the roll up thread:D very nice of you to give this info to all keep up the good work:D:D

one question will this also un root the phone

Can't unroot using the same procedure, but have added another procedure to do it.

This method does work for everyone. The only new step in my procedure is to do it while the phone is booting. :)

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
cant root. stuck at "waiting for device"..... tried everything.. no luck. can anyone help?

Are your phone drivers properly installed? Does your computer make a 'Hardware connected' ding sound when you turn on the phone? If not, then you'll have to install Samsung Kies and then connect the phone to the computer to install the drivers. Try rooting after that.

coolzarjun

Oct 24, 2010
New Delhi
all drivers are installed.. i reinstalled twice.. when i connect in usb debugg.. says installing some adb stuff after fews secs.. comp says hardware might not work properly not properly installed. all other drivers wrk fine.. wat can i do to install adb drivers properly. . i have windows xp

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
all drivers are installed.. i reinstalled twice.. when i connect in usb debugg.. says installing some adb stuff after fews secs.. comp says hardware might not work properly not properly installed. all other drivers wrk fine.. wat can i do to install adb drivers properly. . i have windows xp

Connect your phone to your computer. Then open the Device Manager. Then look for the entry 'SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface' in the list. It might be under the ADB Interface tab. Right click on the 'SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface' and uninstall it.

Then reconnect your phone to the computer and see if the ADB drivers get installed properly this time.

Reactions: affection788

coolzarjun

Oct 24, 2010
New Delhi
did that also....uninstalled and connected the phone. still the same error..
hardware not properly installed.. it might not work properly

i got windows xp 32-bit
can u help ?? plz !

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
i also have win 7 and it doesnt work...help??

I can't help if the drivers on your computer are not installed properly. After connecting the phone while it is ON, open the Device Manager and see if the ADB driver is properly installed.

If the drivers are properly installed, this method will work..

Edit: As mentioned by mhndk14 below, enable USB Debugging in Settings>Applications>Development.

Last edited:

nageshkaja

Dec 16, 2010
how to bring the phone back to factory settings

hi how can i get back my phone to the original factory settings? i rooted using z4mod and when unrooted the live wallpapers wont go... and how do i get my boot menu when restarted on my 1 5801??

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
hi how can i get back my phone to the original factory settings? i rooted using z4mod and when unrooted the live wallpapers wont go... and how do i get my boot menu when restarted on my 1 5801??
To remove the Live Wallpapers, you'll have to root your phone, and then use Root Explorer to remove the files Livewallpaperspicker.apk from system/app, and libRS.so and librs_jni.so from system/bin. Then un-root your phone. Be sure to press the 'Mount R/W' button in Root Explorer to be able to delete the files.
As for restoring your boot menu, that procedure is there somewhere in the Development section. The boot menu changes because of upgrading, not rooting.

stubborn_d0nkey

Dec 12, 2010
Mostar
It seems i have lost haptic feedback after rooting(jpb), anybody else experience this?

Edit: lol
It was probably sue to the "forced" reboot, but I accidently dropped my phone (batteries feel out) and now it's working

addicted2088

Oct 20, 2010
Pune
It seems i have lost haptic feedback after rooting(jpb), anybody else experience this?

Edit: lol
It was probably sue to the "forced" reboot, but I accidently dropped my phone (batteries feel out) and now it's working

Yeah, haptic feedback stops working sometimes on JPA and JPB after rooting. But restarting the phone corrects it. (Although your method of restarting the phone was too brutal!! :p)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOTING:

Since z4root, one of the easiest ways to root, is not working on Froyo in Galaxy 3, I decided to make this separate thread for instructions on how to root Froyo using Superoneclick.

First and foremost: Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development. Make sure it is ticked.

Download the attached Superoneclickv1.5.zip file. Extract its contents. Make sure your phone drivers are installed on the computer (Samsung Kies). Then follow the steps:

1. From the extracted contents, run the file named Superoneclick.
    2. Turn off your phone, then connect it to the computer using the USB Cable. Don't turn on the phone. Keep it off but connected to the computer.
    3. In Superoneclick, click on the 'Root' button. After a few seconds, it'll say 'Waiting for device'.
    4. Now turn on your phone (while it is still connected to the computer). Superoneclick will detect the phone.
    5. Now the phone will be rooted, while it is starting up. When it is started, it'll be rooted.
    6. After rooting, download and install busybox on your phone. It should take care of any slowing down of your phone after rooting.

That's it. The phone is now rooted, although it would be so much better if z4root worked on Froyo..

For those getting stuck at the 'pushing raceagainstthecage' step, try this method. Credits go to haree:

1. login as admin and then open the application. Or right click on Superoneclick.exe and click on 'Run as administrator'.

3. remove all the additional external USB devices(this seems to confuse the SW)

and then follow the instructions u will be successful:D

UNROOTING INSTRUCTIONS:

Unfortunately, the method to unroot by clicking on the Unroot button in Superoneclick does not work. So follow the following steps to unroot.

1. Download rootexplorer.apk (attached) and install Root Explorer on phone.
    2. Run Root Explorer. A 'Superuser Request' prompt will come up. Press Allow.
    3. Now, on the top, there will be a button saying 'Mount R/W'. Press it. It should change to 'Mount R/O'. The button should say 'Mount R/O' in order for you to be able to do anything in the following steps.
    4. Now scroll to the bottom, click on system. Then click on bin.
    5. In the bin folder, look for a file named 'su'. Long press on this file, and select Delete to delete it.
    6. Now go back to the system folder by pressing the Back button once.
    7. Now enter the app folder. Scroll down and look for the file named 'superuser.apk'. Long press on this file and delete it.
    8. Exit Root Explorer after this. Uninstall it if you don't want to use it.
    9. That's it. Your phone will be un-rooted.

Another method to unroot:
    1. Download and install Terminal Emulator (attached).
    2. Run Terminal Emulator on the phone. If you don't see a keyboard to type, press Menu and press Toggle Soft Keyboard.
    3. Type su and press enter. Press Allow on the 'Superuser Request' prompt. The $ sign will change to a #.
    4. Now type the following line exactly as it is and press enter: mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    5. Nothing will happen visually. The pointer will shift to a new line.
    6. Now type the following line and press enter: rm /system/bin/su
    7. Again, type following line and press enter: rm /system/app/superuser.apk.
    8. Now exit Terminal Emulator. Your phone is un-rooted.

Connect your phone to your computer. Then open the Device Manager. Then look for the entry 'SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface' in the list. It might be under the ADB Interface tab. Right click on the 'SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface' and uninstall it.

Then reconnect your phone to the computer and see if the ADB drivers get installed properly this time.
    For Vista biz users read this

hi
    i have rooted my Froyo successfully today:D i an using Vista and i have an external keyboard additional external USB HDD & a External USB mouse and anti virus

so if u have the above and are using Vista business u need to do the below which i found out after doing my own R & D on the same

Do this
    1.login as admin and them open the application

3.remove all the additional external USB devices(this seems to confuse the SW)

and then do as per the 1st page instructions u will be successful:D

@ addicted2088
    may be u can add this to the first page so it would help the others

Hope it helps:D
    thanks
    hari
    Thanks. Well all flashing, rooting, lagfixing procedures were made from my netbook (runs W7 32bit) with 100% success. I believe in all cases (even in superoneclick) the system is simple so the chances of error are less compared to a desktop system.
    thank u so muCH!

thanks you so much i flashed my phone with this video
    yutube /watch?v=gEFpJ7siGz8
    JPF ROM
    then rooted with this post