Question Frustrated with Google dialer

Search This thread

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't know about you guys, but the Google dialer is one of the worst human factors designs with the latest iteration.

A right-handed person typically puts the phone up to the right side of their face and the cheek, even with the sensor to turn off the screen on, hits the mute button to mute the phone.

This is extremely frustrating. What does everyone else think about the dialer? What do you guys use? Workarounds?

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I don't know about you guys, but the Google dialer is one of the worst human factors designs with the latest iteration.

A right-handed person typically puts the phone up to the right side of their face and the cheek, even with the sensor to turn off the screen on, hits the mute button to mute the phone.

This is extremely frustrating. What does everyone else think about the dialer? What do you guys use? Workarounds?

I don't use the Google Dialer, have in the past, but found this dialer months ago and even paid for the ad-free version. Lots of features in the settings.

Reactions: efkosk

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
It's not just the dialer but also contacts inside the dialer is not of the best design imho. Coming from a Samsung Note 20 Ultra I thought I would love the original Android feel but I do miss some of the improvements Samsung made from an ergonomic point of view. I do like the aesthetics of the p7p very much.

EtherealRemnant

I have never had an issue with this. It doesn't matter which side of my face I put the phone up to, the proximity sensor stops me from hitting any buttons.

Also, I thought most right-handed people put their phone to the left side of their face like I do so they have their right hand free to do other things lol. I even put my phone in my left pocket.

I do agree about the contacts in the dialer though. Never been a fan of it. At least Google has smart dialing for contacts in the dialer though so I never have to actually use the contacts section.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have never had an issue with this. It doesn't matter which side of my face I put the phone up to, the proximity sensor stops me from hitting any buttons.

Also, I thought most right-handed people put their phone to the left side of their face like I do so they have their right hand free to do other things lol. I even put my phone in my left pocket.

I do agree about the contacts in the dialer though. Never been a fan of it. At least Google has smart dialing for contacts in the dialer though so I never have to actually use the contacts section.
An interesting phenomena.. How many people use which hand when calling. But yes, I should probably not put the phone to my face, also when I squash the phone into my neck and shoulder when I have to use both hands, the mic get's smooshed and people can't hear me. I just have a terrible face :LOL:

EtherealRemnant

An interesting phenomena.. How many people use which hand when calling. But yes, I should probably not put the phone to my face, also when I squash the phone into my neck and shoulder when I have to use both hands, the mic get's smooshed and people can't hear me. I just have a terrible face :LOL:
Honestly sounds more like you have a terrible proximity sensor. Mine is so sensitive that it drives me nuts sometimes. Like the other day I was on a call and put it on speaker so I could answer some text messages and trying to swipe down the notification panel with my index finger was just turning the screen off so I had to actually angle it down and to the left to get the drawer open. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: rester555

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I am predominantly left handed in that i write and throw left handed but use both hands and either ear to make calls, thanks to the world being right handed i am comfy using either hand for most things and i havent noticed a problem when on a call and i swap sides regularly thought a call.

don_pablo007

Dec 1, 2022
The other features i miss in pixel after coming from OnePlus -

- allow to dial a number from second sim card. I know I can switch the sim after dialing a number but that is a bit frustrating if you don't want to share both your numbers and dialled the number by mistake from the sim you intend not to

- i miss the native video call from my native network provider which was so easy and independent of any additional app. I wish Google could bring it back and not force to use duo for video calls.

EtherealRemnant

allow to dial a number from second sim card. I know I can switch the sim after dialing a number but that is a bit frustrating if you don't want to share both your numbers and dialled the number by mistake from the sim you intend not to
I mean you can do this but it's going to prompt you before every call to choose what SIM to use.

hubono

Here is my case
Im right handed but use my phone mostly by my left hand single hand. Actually it feels un natrual for me to use my right hand and the phone.
As for the dialer, my god its so lacking. Im also a "true phone" user for many many years. But here are some things im facing.
1. If i use true phone then i loose on call screening feature that the stock dialer offers.
2. Ability to select which sim to use when dialing
3. Ability to use same sim to call back. Lets say if i receive a call on sim 1, when i dial back to should automatically use that same sim to call back.

On my oneplus 7 pro i ran both that stock dialer and "true phone" side by side which doubled up the features for me. Currently if i set the stock dialer as default dialer then "true phone" doesnt open and vice versa.
Also maybe its a bug in "true phone" but lets say if its set as the default dialer, when i want to do call forwarding, the true phone only takes me to the system forwarding menu but i cant know which sim it is since im running 2 sims.

And finally the t9 search, " true phone" is miles ahead.
What a dilemma

I have the same issue. looking for a salution

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
Besides the design flaws, the dialer stopped working mostly since the December update. Most annoying is that it no longer shows when a call comes in. And it's still a phone right? So this is one of the things, if not the first, that should just work!

Clearing cache and data doesn't help. Will be downgrading the phone app to the November version.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Huh ? I use it on my right cheek as well, never accidentally mute the call tho. Although i always awarely give gap between cheek and screen, because i have oily skin, and hate the need to wipe my screen after each call.

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
Google contacted me after I made some serious complaints about the dialer and other bugs. Said 'they will be working on this, thanks'. I installed Simple Dialer from Simple Mobile Tools, paid .79 cents to give it normal colors and my phone now works like a phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm righthanded and use my right hand to hold and dial the phone.
    +1 on the the right handed people holding phone in left to dial with the right hand.
    I'm right handed and I use my left hand to make a phone call...