Frustrating S9 Plus

Moetime

Feb 23, 2021
Maybe someone has an idea.

I recently purchased a S9 Plus from Walmart. Brand new. Its and American model SM-G965U.

Build: PPR1.180610.011.G965USQU6CSI2
Snapdragon Processor: (wish I had known earlier what a pain to root)
Android Patch Sept 1 2019.
Hardware Rev1.1

Kernel Ver: 4.9.112-16732439
#2 Fri Sep 6 13:23 KST 2019

Now here's the issue

I lose signal when I KNOW that it should not happen.

Example. Live north of Toronto, big major city, lots of cell towers but my phone shows only 1 sometimes 2 bars. GF has an apple same carrier it shows 4 bars. Switch SIMS with her and I still only get 2 bars.
Take my SIM and put it into an old S7 and BAM. 4 Bars.
My little S7 would have a strong signal that even at the cottage I could stream music. The S9 says no way.
Got a new SIM card thought maybe it's damaged. Nope No Change.
Switched carriers, installed another new SIM, still the same.

Have wiped and re-installed countless times all to the same effect no change.

Signal strength readings are always low generally between -103 - -117 32 asu

Not sure if it matters Network Connections are 2g/3g/LTE however at the top right of the home screen it shows signal strength and it switches to 4G . Do I need a 4 G phone plan???

I think its a hardware issue which brings me full circle. Is it possible to do a firmware upgrade? Or do i throw this thing in the garbage?

Appreciate everyone's help.

Peace out

M

bitpushr

XDA:Administrator
Mar 26, 2007
www.xda-developers.com
Sometimes a firmware upgrade can help, have you tried it yet? Firmware updates also include security patches and they are important to have.

But, it could also be a loose connection with the antenna. If it is a hardware issue it is hard to do anything about it without replacing device. Can you try with another one?

Moetime

Feb 23, 2021
Hey

Thanks for the reply. I took my old S7 threw the SIM card and its smoking.

In hindsight I think You are correct. Loose antenna would be exactly what I am experiencing. (kinda silly I didn't think of that)

I'm going to return the device and ask the reseller for a replacement .

Its just as well , I have way to may other projects on the go...like building an offset reverse flow smoker..bbq season will soon be here.

Lets close this thread and say good bye

Thanks again

M

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone