FTVLaunchX: custom launcher, no root (replacement for LauncherHijack)

Search This thread

Metconnect2000

Dec 5, 2015
Moto G 5G
If you need you can use this update blocker app.

If you have installed this on your mobile enter your firetv ip and if you are installed it on your firetv then leave the ip as 127.0.0.1 i.e. localhost

Click on block

For FOS 5 people, I do not have a fireos 5 device so i don't usually create apps for it, because mostly they don't work.
is xda not showing the app? not seeing any link to this "update blocker app". NVM, looks like someone just asked.

Actually installed the app and try to connected to it and it showed an error message but went away so quick that i cant see the entire message. Is there a pm command to run to disable the update for fire tv 4k running on 6.#? thanks

Last edited:

savelbys

Mar 9, 2020
Hello,

i'm using the newest Nvidia Shield TV Pro at the newest update with the Wolf Launcher (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/wolf-launcher-for-shield-tv-atv-mod/)
I´m using the Launcher Manager too (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/launcher-manager-shield-tv/) and disabled the stock one.

i'm also increased the size from the Shield TV to 4K (because original it is at Full HD and looks very blurry)
with the following commands through adbLink:

wm size 3840x2160
wm density 355
settings put system font_scale 0.75
reboot

Now i have experienced crashes/freezes with the Plex App. When i want to configure an Application, it crashes too.

Anyone have that problem too? Is the Wolf Launcher stable/good or is that because the 4K increase?

I have read many times that the Launchers overall are making problems...
Is there no stable/good Launcher out there? The original Android TV Launcher is annoying

Last edited:

nicomarlet

Jan 2, 2021
Thank you so much for your responce. I tried everything whithout any suscces !
So there is no solution at all to use the wolf launcher with the home button on fire stick 1gen and 2gen ?

0815hoffi

Dec 22, 2019
Munich
github.com
Ok,

Amazon block´s :

adb shell "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.tv.launcher"
adb shell "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.firehomestarter"

these 2 commands is exactly what the tools do.

fire tv lite currently still goes, but probably only until the next Amazon update.

:mad:

nicomarlet

Jan 2, 2021
Ok,

Amazon block´s :

fire tv lite currently still goes, but probably only until the next Amazon update.

Ok thanks, I will try these commands directly. What about the root procedure ?

Last edited:

nicomarlet

Jan 2, 2021
in fact, I get :
Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: attempt to change component state from pid=12801, uid=2000, package uid=32094

nicomarlet

Jan 2, 2021
Rooting is impossible for the first gen in 5.2.7.6 ?
For the 2nd gen, soldering has to be done. I heard about trouble with clocks after soldering, is it true ?
(sorry for my poor english, I'm french...)

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Rooting is impossible for the first gen in 5.2.7.6 ?
For the 2nd gen, soldering has to be done. I heard about trouble with clocks after soldering, is it true ?
(sorry for my poor english, I'm french...)

It isn't possible for the first gen 'bueller' box and the first gen 'montoya' stick.
The second gen stick (called 'tank', aka: the basic stick) is rootable without soldering,:

The second gen box 'sloane' is also rootable:

Edit: Take a look at adb shell, in case you want to make sure what device you've got...

nicomarlet

Jan 2, 2021
Ok I was beliving I had a first gen because of the remote control :
20210103_183949.jpg

but in the adb shell, the user is "tank", so it's a second gen ?

0815hoffi

Dec 22, 2019
Munich
github.com
Last edited:

bo0gietrain

Nov 6, 2013
Ok,

Amazon block´s :

I have a firestick 4k running latest FireOS 6.2.8.0 and these two commands allowed me to set a new default launcher, thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to FTVLaunchX – a simple helper application to allow custom launchers on Amazon Fire TV devices – no root required!

It is inspired by the famous LauncherHijack of @BaronKiko and tries to overcome several issues relating to it:

- Reliably intercepts any & all presses of the home button
    - Starts the selected launcher on boot
    - Starts the selected launcher when waking up from sleep
    - Fixes the ominous missing-cursor bug in Silk
    - etc.

Please find a thorough description, installation instructions as well as the source code over here:
    https://github.com/codefaktor/FTVLaunchX

Get the APK: FTVLaunchX-1.0.1

EDIT: uploaded new release 1.0.1!

If you want to say Thank You or fund further development, then feel free to drop me buck or two, see https://github.com/codefaktor/FTVLaunchX#Donations

Please report back if you did test on your devices (so far tested on Fire TV Stick 2nd Gen & Fire TV Stick 4K) – I will watch this thread for any issues and/or feature requests.
    To fix VoiceView Problem in hulu, Netflix and YouTube, open adb shell and enter the commands.
    Code:
    pm disable-user com.svox.pico
    pm disable-user com.ivona.orchestrator
    pm disable-user com.ivona.tts.oem
    pm disable-user com.amazon.logan

FireTV Settings v1.2 For Mantis (Can also work on 7.1.1 and later)
    View attachment 4998341

For Launcher for FireTV and ShieldTV
    go to this post.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82053271&postcount=167

Press :good: it makes me wanna help. :D
    @SweenWolf could there be a setting somehow to open the menu of installed apps (com.amazon.venezia) instead of network settings on long press home (or any other key combo) for FireTV-Settings? That would be awesome to quick launch / change any installed apps. ?

It is indeed a great idea,
    It's easier to switch b/w apps by using this, if not wanting to switch then we can press back to to back to previous app.

Anyway here's an update.

Changelog:
    Pressing back on Settings now takes you to Custom home.
    Long press opens Amazon Default Apps Screen (wait 800ms)
    Double Tap opens Amazon Settings (time increased to 300 ms)
    Long press now works with any app.
    (Tested on Mantis)

These options are needed to be enabled first in the settings.
    Just want to say Thank you very much for your hard work! I have your launcher and FTVLauncherX on 3 firesticks with Skel40's debloated rom and everything I need works great. Thanks again!

That was fast. Thanks, works great.
    @SweenWolf, do you have paypal? Would gladly donate something.

Thank you guys, really appreciate that.

Here is an update for Wolf Launcher for FireTV.
    It can now be set as Default Home on Rooted FireTVs.
    Thank you so much! I finally have my cursor back in the Silk Browser because of this!

Glad that it works for you and you like it :) The main reason why I was creating it was this pesty cursor bug...

Oh, on what kind of device are you using it? Am looking for someone to test it on a Fire TV Cube with Fire OS 7 / Android 9...