Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

Search This thread

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
4th EDIT: Now confirmed to work on H932 20R and newer.
_____

3rd EDIT: Now available with H930 Open EU 21W and newer.

Korean variants also have it.
____

2nd EDIT: NOW LG has put this the DTS framework in Hong Kong H930DS 21w (and newer) as well as Verizon VS996 20i (and newer). But you still need root to fully enable it.

____
1st EDIT: @JohnFawkes says he can only confirm the necessary libs are in some newer KDZ. So, until LG puts the libs in other variant firmware, then this will only work with the variants that have the libs.
V30 DTS announcement on LG's Korea website. I will update this op as more information becomes available..

_____

1) Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

On recent V30 update with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with necessary DTS framework. (LG is now adding the feature to other variants, see note at top of post.)

2nd, you need root.

3rd, you need Build Prop editor. < I suggest that one.

_____
1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true (enables DTS libs)
ro.lge.globaleffect.ceq=1 (adds "custom" entry to to the equalizer you will install below)
2) Hit Save.
3) Reboot the phone.
4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

The person who first pointed out the problem later posted the solution. ;)

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware. EDIT: RIGHT NOW IN MID-2019 ALL RECENT OREO CONFIRMED EXCEPT FOR H933

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

2) BONUS APP: LG DTS 3D Stereo Equalizer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/how-to-add-lgs-equalizer-to-hifi-quad-t3905870

Install. Reboot.

(DTS 3D stereo reported in change log for most recent firmware.)
What dts, i couldnt find it on 20f.

Check audio_effects.conf and play music and type su -c dumpsys media.audio_flinger in terminal and you'll see libeagle.so. Libeagle.so is dts. There's no app or anything

SOLUTION:
Add ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true in BUILD PROP

Thanks!

It creates a new category instead of just QUAD DAC, which now includes DTS with Quad DAC.
@TotallyAnxious, something else to add to your mod...

View attachment 4681258View attachment 4681259View attachment 4681260

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

It worked on the vs996 20g zip too I'm on Verizon so the vs996 zip works the best for me.

Adding to the list of features this phone has...

LG V30/V30+
  • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • 3.5mm headset jack
  • Quad DAC
  • DTS 3D stereo
  • IP68 dust/water resistance
  • rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
  • superfast fingerprint sensor
  • 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
  • microSD port for additional storage
  • bootloader unlock and root
  • no notch

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-29-13_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-29-13_2.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 6,199
  • BEFORE.png
    BEFORE.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 6,110
  • AFTER.png
    AFTER.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 6,062
  • DTS2.jpg
    DTS2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 6,129
  • DTS3.png
    DTS3.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 6,347
  • Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-13-54_2.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-13-54_2.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 5,864
Last edited:

Ashtrix

Dec 21, 2010
Done, Working on my V30S ! Thanks to all :D

Initial impressions

First the total volume output is raised which can be immediately observed. Which is great ! Because due to my hearing loss or the way how LG played safe game lol with this High End DAC which powers some Astell and Kern and Desktop Audiophile DACs, I always needed to be at 70 ish but now the 60-66 level is fine, and 70 is like 75+, So to my ears it's easily 6+ step increase and this is with Normal Mode (HiFi Status App) and my IEMs which are just 10 Ohms ( I personally believe the Tavil xml files force the Quad DAC and causes some not so good tuning output from the jack and the headphone/IEM impedance - Simply I could say, I cannot increase the volume with HIM forced, I hear disturbance even with 1-2 steps maybe because of High Sensitivity or not. So I leave it at factory mode. However that's me may / may not be applied to others.)

Second the Music Player and tonal difference - With this mode the EQ option is gone from LG Music Player along with the icon, that icon is now replaced the hifi icon in music player. New option only shows pitch speed with that new button on the right bottom (previously I use the Pure Surround and Bass Boost, Pure Surround artifacts sometimes with a few tracks and mix and match with digital filters, Short for example adds more spacious sound as it says + Pure Surround takes it to next level) And the DTS X : Surround option sounds a lot different to the Pure Surround and is on a whole another dimension..

"Wide" mode cuts off Treble/High End with quite some degree (I welcome this because my IEMs, triple driver have 2 TWFK Balanced Armature drivers and V-Shape causing peaky treble) along with midrange too and adds that Massive Bass/Low end emphasis, can be said "smooth sound"

"Side to Side" puts its opposite, more on the High End and Mid range (again the Dynamic Driver in my IEM, takes a step back, also I feel in this mode the volume is piercing due to the nature of my IEMs being hot at top)

"Front" mode as it puts a natural way and not so distant vs "Wide" mode plus more layered presentation, with better vocals as well and not excess low end and mind you all modes make the soundstage spacious and may even effect volume levels perception. BUT the biggest advantage is no artifacts vs Pure Surround EQ mode, which makes this DTS X 3D cleaner and best option, I Love this change. Also as you can notice if you enable the DTS : X 3D Surround mode, the sound preset options aren't available. Looks like they had tuned the ESS9218P to some libraries and couldn't get all in one shot, anyways I found the Preset options too aggressive and high delta with sound signature, to each their own.

Finally as you can see in the Screenshots, the UI is changed and the only piece missing is the "EQ option" like here in the V40 ThinkQ explains why the Music Player lost that mode everything looks same like that one from V40. I presume the EQ option is lost somewhere, if we can enable that it'd be endgame, as it has solid presets and nice custom tuning. Fingers crossed, since they borked this, LG fixes their mess with next update. Also no idea what's that Normalize switch is doing :confused:

One last note, I don't know if the DTS effect changed the sound signature a bit even when off, as Head-Fi users mentioned on V40, I cannot confirm this, would be great if anyone shares about this.

Also quite surprising how a simple line can change a LOT. Hope if any of that helps..:good:
Enjoy the DTS X guys, love how LG is enabling this on their prev gen devices. It's fun if you dig it :)

Edit: Without this, your LG Music player "HiFi button" won't work, tapping on that doesn't do anything, manually going to the HiFi DAC settings is needed. But "EQ button" works. AND I have Liveboot by Chainfire installed and it works flawelessly. I guess if I disable the mod at the end of the booting, livelogcat I see some lines in red color with "mixer paths" "headphones" perhaps errors or warnings, hard to get a proper read since it's a splitsecond...this could be entirely unrelated, but just sharing my observation.

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-13.jpg
    Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-13.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 2,014
  • Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-48.jpg
    Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-48.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-23.jpg
    Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-23.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,988
Last edited:

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
Fully enable DTS 3D stereo on all LG V30 variants (root needed)

On recent V30 updates with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with at least November 2018 security patch. That's when LG added the feature. Good examples: US998 20F and VS996 20G.

2nd, you need root.

_____
1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true
2) Hit Save.
3) Reboot the phone.
4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware.

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

SOLUTION:

LG V30/V30+
  • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • 3.5mm headset jack
  • Quad DAC
  • DTS 3D stereo
  • no notch

this will likely only work on us99820f because the other firmwares dont have the needed dts libs. it may make the dts settings appear but it wont actually process due to the missing libs.

also dts is built into kernel as well. so if you flash lunar on us99820f then it will break dts since llunar isnt using 20f as a base since kernel source isnt released yet.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
this will likely only work on us99820f because the other firmwares dont have the needed dts libs. it may make the dts settings appear but it wont actually process due to the missing libs.

also dts is built into kernel as well. so if you flash lunar on us99820f then it will break dts since llunar isnt using 20f as a base since kernel source isnt released yet.
well, V30S is US998.

You sure the others like VS996 and H930 didn't get those improvements with December update? Because on the LG website the DTS wasn't variant specific. Just said December software...

You know more than me, I'm just asking because LG made it sound universal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashtrix

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
well, V30S is US998.

You sure the others like VS996 and H930 didn't get those improvements with December update? Because on the LG website the DTS wasn't variant specific. Just said December software...
yes im 100% sure it will not work on the carrier versions. it will only work on us998 firmware 20f. i was on the team that ported dts hpx from asus zenfone 5. theres no libeagle or any dts related libs on ls998 or vs996

i was apart of this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/guide-how-to-port-dts-eagle-to-t3802259

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
yes im 100% sure it will not work on the carrier versions. it will only work on us998 firmware 20f. i was on the team that ported dts hpx from asus zenfone 5. theres no libeagle or any dts related libs on ls998 or vs996

i was apart of this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/guide-how-to-port-dts-eagle-to-t3802259
Well, here's hoping it will show up for everyone else soon. I'm in bed right now, but tomorrow I'll edit the op to clarify. Sorry everyone. Maybe next month!

Also, all the North America variants, except for H932, can flash to US998. ;)

Last edited:

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
Well, here's hoping it will show up for everyone else soon. I'm in bed right now, but tomorrow I'll edit the posr6 to clarify. Sorry everyone. Maybe next month!

if it doesnt im already working on something. i just need the kernel source. if we get the us998 kernel source then we can patch the ramdisk for those other varients and make a magisk module of the needed libs and boom dts ported to the others. but im pretty sure that the carriers will push a dts update hopefully.

i dont like us998 because i cant have vowifi or volte with it and i only get 3g/1x no matter what i do. so i stay on stock sprint

Reactions: Ashtrix

Dizzyrul3z

Feb 27, 2014
Oberschlesien
I guess I'm deaf ;) I use regular headphones (impedance only 16 ohms) and I can not hear any difference after switching on. It is possible that the effect is heard only after connecting high impedance headphones?

Mrxyzl

May 1, 2015
Done, Working on my V30S ! Thanks to all :D

Initial impressions

First the total volume output is raised which can be immediately observed. Which is great ! Because due to my hearing loss or the way how LG played safe game lol with this High End DAC which powers some Astell and Kern and Desktop Audiophile DACs, I always needed to be at 70 ish but now the 60-66 level is fine, and 70 is like 75+, So to my ears it's easily 6+ step increase and this is with Normal Mode (HiFi Status App) and my IEMs which are just 10 Ohms ( I personally believe the Tavil xml files force the Quad DAC and causes some not so good tuning output from the jack and the headphone/IEM impedance - Simply I could say, I cannot increase the volume with HIM forced, I hear disturbance even with 1-2 steps maybe because of High Sensitivity or not. So I leave it at factory mode. However that's me may / may not be applied to others.)

Second the Music Player and tonal difference - With this mode the EQ option is gone from LG Music Player along with the icon, that icon is now replaced the hifi icon in music player. New option only shows pitch speed with that new button on the right bottom (previously I use the Pure Surround and Bass Boost, Pure Surround artifacts sometimes with a few tracks and mix and match with digital filters, Short for example adds more spacious sound as it says + Pure Surround takes it to next level) And the DTS X : Surround option sounds a lot different to the Pure Surround and is on a whole another dimension..

"Wide" mode cuts off Treble/High End with quite some degree (I welcome this because my IEMs, triple driver have 2 TWFK Balanced Armature drivers and V-Shape causing peaky treble) along with midrange too and adds that Massive Bass/Low end emphasis, can be said "smooth sound"

"Side to Side" puts its opposite, more on the High End and Mid range (again the Dynamic Driver in my IEM, takes a step back, also I feel in this mode the volume is piercing due to the nature of my IEMs being hot at top)

"Front" mode as it puts a natural way and not so distant vs "Wide" mode plus more layered presentation, with better vocals as well and not excess low end and mind you all modes make the soundstage spacious and may even effect volume levels perception. BUT the biggest advantage is no artifacts vs Pure Surround EQ mode, which makes this DTS X 3D cleaner and best option, I Love this change. Also as you can notice if you enable the DTS : X 3D Surround mode, the sound preset options aren't available. Looks like they had tuned the ESS9218P to some libraries and couldn't get all in one shot, anyways I found the Preset options too aggressive and high delta with sound signature, to each their own.

Finally as you can see in the Screenshots, the UI is changed and the only piece missing is the "EQ option" like here in the V40 ThinkQ explains why the Music Player lost that mode everything looks same like that one from V40. I presume the EQ option is lost somewhere, if we can enable that it'd be endgame, as it has solid presets and nice custom tuning. Fingers crossed, since they borked this, LG fixes their mess with next update. Also no idea what's that Normalize switch is doing :confused:

One last note, I don't know if the DTS effect changed the sound signature a bit even when off, as Head-Fi users mentioned on V40, I cannot confirm this, would be great if anyone shares about this.

Also quite surprising how a simple line can change a LOT. Hope if any of that helps..:good:
Enjoy the DTS X guys, love how LG is enabling this on their prev gen devices. It's fun if you dig it :)

Edit: Without this, your LG Music player "HiFi button" won't work, tapping on that doesn't do anything, manually going to the HiFi DAC settings is needed. But "EQ button" works. AND I have Liveboot by Chainfire installed and it works flawelessly. I guess if I disable the mod at the end of the booting, livelogcat I see some lines in red color with "mixer paths" "headphones" perhaps errors or warnings, hard to get a proper read since it's a splitsecond...this could be entirely unrelated, but just sharing my observation.

About the system wide eq. It is already there as see in effect chain, we need a build prop change or something to enable it

TotallyAnxious

Aug 3, 2013
if it doesnt im already working on something. i just need the kernel source. if we get the us998 kernel source then we can patch the ramdisk for those other varients and make a magisk module of the needed libs and boom dts ported to the others. but im pretty sure that the carriers will push a dts update hopefully.

i dont like us998 because i cant have vowifi or volte with it and i only get 3g/1x no matter what i do. so i stay on stock sprint
Feel free to hit me up if you wanna work on it together. I haven't actually tested DTS:X with my module, just added the prop and assumed it work. If it's just ramdisk edits can't we just use AIK to decompile the kernel to get what we need?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

@JohnFawkes, not wanting to start an argument but just want you to clarify statement as much as possible, please. You are merely saying in the U.S. carrier versions you have tested (presumably Sprint and Verizon) you don't see this. So, which other V30 firmware have you tested?

What about H930? It's European open market version.

What about Korea carrier versions? There's no way LG gave it to US998 first and didn't give it to Korea carrier versions. ;) The V30 DTS announcement was on LG's Korea website. That's where I got the change log from for the US998 recent update as it seemed to cover all V30.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
V21o H930 open EU, Nov. sec. patch :)

@JohnFawkes says of the U.S. carrier versions he's tested, only the US998 has it. I just asked him if he's looked at any others like European H930 or the Korea carrier variants. We know the H930DS doesn't have it because they have not received any updates since August 2018. It's possible the H930 doesn't have the libs yet.

Reactions: Dizzyrul3z

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I just changed post #1 to reflect only confirmed with US998 V30/V30+/V30S or other North American variants flashed to US998 firmware. It's possible other variants do have the libs, but @JohnFawkes says Sprint LS998 and Verizon VS996 do not at this moment.

Reactions: Dizzyrul3z

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4th EDIT: Now confirmed to work on H932 20R and newer.
    _____

3rd EDIT: Now available with H930 Open EU 21W and newer.

Korean variants also have it.
    ____

2nd EDIT: NOW LG has put this the DTS framework in Hong Kong H930DS 21w (and newer) as well as Verizon VS996 20i (and newer). But you still need root to fully enable it.

____
    1st EDIT: @JohnFawkes says he can only confirm the necessary libs are in some newer KDZ. So, until LG puts the libs in other variant firmware, then this will only work with the variants that have the libs.
    V30 DTS announcement on LG's Korea website. I will update this op as more information becomes available..

_____

1) Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

On recent V30 update with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with necessary DTS framework. (LG is now adding the feature to other variants, see note at top of post.)

2nd, you need root.

_____
    ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true (enables DTS libs)
    ro.lge.globaleffect.ceq=1 (adds "custom" entry to to the equalizer you will install below)
    2) Hit Save.
    3) Reboot the phone.
    4) Done.

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware. EDIT: RIGHT NOW IN MID-2019 ALL RECENT OREO CONFIRMED EXCEPT FOR H933

2) BONUS APP: LG DTS 3D Stereo Equalizer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/how-to-add-lgs-equalizer-to-hifi-quad-t3905870

Install. Reboot.

What dts, i couldnt find it on 20f.

Check audio_effects.conf and play music and type su -c dumpsys media.audio_flinger in terminal and you'll see libeagle.so. Libeagle.so is dts. There's no app or anything

SOLUTION:
    Add ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true in BUILD PROP

Thanks!

It creates a new category instead of just QUAD DAC, which now includes DTS with Quad DAC.
    @TotallyAnxious, something else to add to your mod...

View attachment 4681258View attachment 4681259View attachment 4681260

It worked on the vs996 20g zip too I'm on Verizon so the vs996 zip works the best for me.

LG V30/V30+
    • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
    • Qi wireless charging
    • 3.5mm headset jack
    • Quad DAC
    • DTS 3D stereo
    • no notch
    We made XDA News, again:

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-dts-3d-stereo-sound-all-lg-v30-variants/

Read the comments. Feel free to post your own experience. One ignorant* person says this DTS 3D Stereo on US998 isn't real. Ha. He obviously doesn't own US998, so what does he know?

(* Ignorant, as in uneducated. Not ignorant as in stupid.)
    This DTS 3D STEREO enabler is for North America US998 ONLY, for now.

As I said before you will have to wait until future updates for other variants, to get the necessary libs. The interface alone does not give you the actual functionality.

How many more times do I have to repeat that?

Did you not even read the post that you quoted? I'm repeating myself. ;)

Whenever future updates arrive, @JohnFawkes can confirm if the libs are there. He wants it as much as you do. If there was any way to port it right now to other variants, he would do so.

Yes it needs us998 20f for now. Me, @UltraM8 @michi_Nemuritor @LazerL0rd and a few others are working on a universal dts x ultra port from nubia device. No kernel commits needed and no nubia audioflinger needed either. So if lg doesn't give us dts then we have an alternative
    To the instructions, I added another build prop line:

ro.lge.globaleffect.ceq=1

This adds "custom" entry to to the DTS equalizer when you install it. It is not needed to enable DTS itself (that's another build prop line), but adds option to the DTS equalizer, which you should install. As long as you are editing the build prop, might as well do both the same time!

NOTE: I have this "custom" field in my equalizer and do NOT have this build prop line. But I also have the very latest Anxious V30 Magisk module installed. She has a lot of stuff ported from LG G7 and V40, and her notes specifically say: "LG Equalizer Settings (w/ Custom EQ)" .

Anyway, falls under the "doesn't hurt/may help" category.

Screenshot courtesy @BROKEN1981. I am using his screenshot because he added that line.
    It's in my module. Build props in magisk mods don't actually edit the build.prop it just makes the system think they are on the build.prop.
    So for anyone interested I will be releasing a new rom later today. It's a hybrid between Us99820f and ls99826a. It will be for sprint users only. If this is stable I will make one for the other carriers as well. This will allow us to use dts before the carriers release if they ever do. This is the smoothness of the us firmware with all the sprint lte bands, wifi calling, lte calling, sprint visual voicemail and all sprint apps. At the moment I'm using a Magisk module to achieve this but I'll be using superR to turn it into a full blown custom stock rom!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone