Future of our Pixel C - Goal reached -

Search This thread

impostle

Jan 23, 2011
I can see that Aaron is busy with Lineage 18 trees for Nvidia devices. Not particular just for ours but all of them so I think that work on the kernel side of the pixel C is not yet continued. You can follow his work here:

https://gitlab.incom.co/groups/CM-Shield/-/activity

I will check if we could do a kernel build for lOS 17 in it's current state for people to try.
Has there been any progress with this? I know followmsi is done with LinageOS 17.1 for the Pixel C, I don't know if that means hes concentrating on 18. At the very least his appears to be done with this kernel development. I've seen in his change log and issue tracker that due to the pixel c's old nvidia codec, video in the browser doesnt work in all cases. I dont know if this kernel development will have any impact on the revocation of the L1 widevine support, but any information is appreciated. Thanks for all the hard work you all put into keeping these old devices working as well as they are, that is truly appreciated.

michie

Apr 15, 2007
Hasselt
Has there been any progress with this? I know followmsi is done with LinageOS 17.1 for the Pixel C, I don't know if that means hes concentrating on 18. At the very least his appears to be done with this kernel development. I've seen in his change log and issue tracker that due to the pixel c's old nvidia codec, video in the browser doesnt work in all cases. I dont know if this kernel development will have any impact on the revocation of the L1 widevine support, but any information is appreciated. Thanks for all the hard work you all put into keeping these old devices working as well as they are, that is truly appreciated.

At the moment no. From what I understand is that there are problems like display etc, even with the shield devices. Our device on top of that has many other problems like deep sleep not working, ... I expect when switchroot (android on the switch console) has sorted out their stuff for Android 9+, alot of their custom written code can help our device as well.

Reactions: hydromanbj

michie

Apr 15, 2007
Hasselt
Lineage 17.1 - 4.9.201 kernel for the more adventurous people. This is still very ALPHA. Expect bugs like no sound etc.

Screenshot_20210503-092935_Instellingen.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello friends,

As you all already noticed, there has been some breakthrough in development for our (aging) device. @followmsi did a great job maintaining the 3.18 kernel, bumping up our device to the latest android versions where @tschmid took care of providing us with the pixel experience builds. Recently we managed to get project treble running and some time later @Vartom surprised us with a proof of concept a 4.9 kernel, ported from the shield TV which shares the same Nvidia chipset. This breakthrough means that we are on the edge of a bright future for the Pixel C for as long as Nvidia continues to support and update their 2015/2017 shield line. We expect this to continue for a couple more android releases.

Now we got to the point that @Vartom, with his knowledge, is the only one capable of porting the drivers to get everything running on our system and he has spend numerous hours already in his free time. On the shield development, there is also 1 lead developer (Aaron Kling) who maintains custom lineage builds for the complete shield line. I saw a big advantage in merging our 4.9 project in their trees and continue development together (https://gitlab.incom.co/groups/CM-Shield). Unfortunatly, Aaron does not own a Pixel C tablet, which means that he can not support Vartom in further development of the kernel which has hit dead ends on some problems.

By this, I am setting to set up a donation thread to donate a used Pixel C device to Aaron. On ebay they sell around 150 - 200€. It will be shipped straight from the auction to Aaron. I would like to ask the pixel C community to support them by donating a small amount to keep our device up to date and bring new features like 4K youtube playback, faster performance, ... to our device. I will start with a donation 20€ and I hope we will reach the target soon to provide Aaron a development device. All updates on the shipping status and tracking will be shared here. The maximum amount of donations is set at 200€. If the device costs less, the rest amount will be transferred to Vartom for all the hours he spent on getting the 4.9 kernel in the alpha 3 state.

Thank you for your time and we hope to continue work on our great device for many years to come!

https://paypal.me/pools/c/8qkkaa2HAm

Thank you to the following donators so far:

Paul - @proeprnorf - @tabormeister - @mortysantiago - @redukt - Jens - Chan

Update 29.06:

200€ donated, we reached our goal and bought a pixel C, thank you all so much!
    More info in my latest post in this thread.

Best regards,

Vartom, Tschmid, Followmsi, Michie
    Thanks to everyone for the help in the form of collected funds for the purchase of the tablet. And also thanks for the fact that the remaining part of these funds from the purchase was transferred to my paypal account. This is the first donate I received for working on this tablet.
    Lineage 17.1 - 4.9.201 kernel for the more adventurous people. This is still very ALPHA. Expect bugs like no sound etc.

Screenshot_20210503-092935_Instellingen.png
    225 USD donated, we reached our goal, thank you all so much!

We found a good deal on Ebay and did not hesitate to buy the item for about 150 USD, It will be shipped straight to Aaron. (https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/184346276104)
    I transferred the remaining 75 USD to Vartom.

Please remember and take in account that Aaron, as well as Vartom do this as a hobby in their spare time so the pace of development will depend on this.

Progress can be monitored on gitlab (https://gitlab.incom.co/CM-Shield) and we will post further updates on the 4.9 kernel thread on xda.

Thanks again!
    In for 20! Let's keep it running.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk