• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

FydeOS with full Google sync and without using a FydeOs account

Search This thread

落笔成酌

Jun 4, 2017
our installation ( fresh installation of fydeOS 8.1 ) uses google credentials as main user to login on fydeOS ( google email address and password to login ) , sync is also working for... bookmarks, passwords, history and even chrome apps and extensions.

we still use this thread OP or revised procedure to add a system user ( using google credentials and login mask ) before launching android from within the apps drawer and to create the android container, we have then access to android settings and once you can reach android settings list , you 're a good to go with side-loading apps however adding accounts to android is currently unavailable )
The chrome_dev.conf has some extra lines, should I comment them too? :confused:

落笔成酌

Jun 4, 2017
our installation ( fresh installation of fydeOS 8.1 ) uses google credentials as main user to login on fydeOS ( google email address and password to login ) , sync is also working for... bookmarks, passwords, history and even chrome apps and extensions.

we still use this thread OP or revised procedure to add a system user ( using google credentials and login mask ) before launching android from within the apps drawer and to create the android container, we have then access to android settings and once you can reach android settings list , you 're a good to go with side-loading apps however adding accounts to android is currently unavailable )
After login with google I am unable to install apks:silly:

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
we suspect you're not following OP procedure ( not even the revised one ) while reading carefully.

now... best thing you can do is following that NYC teaching: " when you make a mistake, use the eraser and start over "

--- powerwash your fydeOS system and after editing that file ( " xxx.conf " ) and while commenting original lines towards the end of the file. ( see OP on 1st page of this thread )

- reboot and login with your google credentials while that " google login mask " is on display.
beware.... on fydeOS system' first boot, you may read a warning on your display, fydeOS [ system ] may be making attempts to connect to internet, searching for and applying updates. upon that " event " and message displayed on your screen , immediately disconnect Wi-Fi and let that task reach time-out threshold. you may eventually see a failure/error message, notifying the system was unable to connect to update server.
reconnect Wi-Fi and cancel update operations then google login mask will appear allowing entering your google credentials ( email address, password ) to authenticate main user for FydeOS.

- once your profile is created and then you're logged into fydeOS system, you can edit " xxx.conf file " once more , while commenting those google related lines, then remove comment marks on original lines ( --fydeos-account-enabled; --fydemina ; #--google-account-enabled )

- Logout, DO NOT reboot and " log back in " while using same google credentials .
you will get an error message, a notification warning you to logout for some errors occurred with your credentials. just ignore that notification and proceed to apps drawer then launch " android " app. [ make sure extension for fydeOS within chromium aren't disabled. ]
once android settings are up and running you are good to go and for side-loading apps.

don't forget to edit that file ( xxxx.conf ); commenting fydeOS original lines then remove comment marks from lines for Google account [ #--fydeos-account-enabled; #--fydemina; --google-account-enabled ]

logout , shutdown , restart and you may experience google sync for bookmarks, chromium extensions, history, passwords and even fydeOS " task-bar "

祝好运 !
marc

After login with google I am unable to install apks:silly:

Last edited:

gtajunkie

Jul 7, 2014
- Logout, DO NOT reboot and " log back in " while using same google credentials .
you will get an error message, a notification warning you to logout for some errors occurred with your credentials. just ignore that notification and proceed to apps drawer then launch " android " app. [ make sure extension for fydeOS within chromium aren't disabled. ]
once android settings are up and running you are good to go and for side-loading apps.

Hoping for help here - after commenting the google line, and uncommenting the fyde lines in .conf, then logging out, I cannot log back in with google log-in ... it wants a fyde account log in. Is there a reason you say "log back in" in quotes? Am I missing something?

I have commented the fyde lines and uncommented google, to get the chromebook log in screen. Type my password but not press enter - then with my password typed out press ctrl-alt-f2 and edit .conf to uncomment fyde lines and comment google - alt-f1 back to log in screen, then hit enter to finish chromebook log-in. This at least logs me in with google, and there is an automatic attempt to start android and there is errors about credentials. But when I launch the android app from the drawer, an icon just sits on the shelf spinning, eventually after 10-15 minutes it just says something went wrong.

Any suggestions? Using fydeOS 7.2-stable by the way.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
it's quite hard to tell what is the stage you got to, unless you quote the exact " Error Message " and what screen that E.M sits on.

On FydeOS 7.2.... you shouldn't even hit a single problem while running android container however , before launching " android chrome app " ( " android app " you can find in chrome apps drawer ) and " starting android container for the first time " , edit that .conf file and remove any comment mark on those fydeOS related lines , then comment out google related line
[ fydeOS chromium extensions also have to be enabled; you likely need fydeOS on your SSD then avoid testing android container while running fydeOS off a USB flash memory; GO TO " support secondary user/account " within chrome://flags and change to enabled . ]

on our test system, google account and fydeOS account both have exactly same email address and also same password ( that's why we never have to create a second/secondary user nor a second profile. ) We use same credentials whenever we log in and we always end up working within the very same user " environment " or user profile. ( most often you won't even see fydeOS login screen unless a " hiccup " occurs, forcing you to restart your system. )

bear in mind, once android container kicks in ( you will see android settings list up on your screen ) on fydeOS 7.2 , you will have to side-load an android app ( device INFO ) , the one reporting GSF id , then visit / google " google uncertified " page, then register/submit GSF ID under your account ( google account )

we once managed to get rid of that endless " spinning icon " while runing " PowerWash " and starting over the configuration from step one ( see OP of this thread ), while also logging in with google credentials and google/chromebook login screen on " first login " after system reset .
let US know how you're getting on.

marc

Hoping for help here - after commenting the google line, and uncommenting the fyde lines in .conf, then logging out, I cannot log back in with google log-in ... it wants a fyde account log in. Is there a reason you say "log back in" in quotes? Am I missing something?

I have commented the fyde lines and uncommented google, to get the chromebook log in screen. Type my password but not press enter - then with my password typed out press ctrl-alt-f2 and edit .conf to uncomment fyde lines and comment google - alt-f1 back to log in screen, then hit enter to finish chromebook log-in. This at least logs me in with google, and there is an automatic attempt to start android and there is errors about credentials. But when I launch the android app from the drawer, an icon just sits on the shelf spinning, eventually after 10-15 minutes it just says something went wrong.

Any suggestions? Using fydeOS 7.2-stable by the way.

Last edited:

Axl Rose 1976

Jan 1, 2012
Just trying to get FydeOS running on a N4100 Convertible. But it won´t boot.
The stick is recognized, but the I only see a Cursor on the top left and nothing happens.
Anyone has a hint for me how to get it work?

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
hi there !
providing that answer to your question isn't always the easiest task .
we recently discovered there are several different circumstances that occur and they all depend on how you proceed with: installing on SSD ; first time system boot; user profile authentication.

generally speaking, play store and gsf will always disappear as soon as android container starts running and android settings show up on display. apparently though, it's not always the case and depending on whether you login with a fydeOS account or a google account instead.

also consider....
logon with fydeos account and its authentication web page aren't always necessary and in order to start android container however, at times, it does make thing work best . creating a system user profile by entering fydeOS credentials, then launching android container and then editing .conf file to enable google account , followed by logging out and then logging back in, might sometimes work and in order to make play store appear in the launcher. [ at times , very seldom, GSF id registration on android.com webpage for uncertified device, isn't even necessary... as if google got fed up with end users often registering a hex key for their unsupported device ]

unfortunately there are too many combinations of different and several activities must be run and while also setting different configuration file " switches " are triggering either fydeOS or google " login mask. " [ not to mention that other config " switch " for " secondary account/user support for standalone.... " and that can be set via chrome://flags ]

behavior of your fydeOS system may also vary and depending on whether you allow it to search for updates on first time boot, when you won't disconnect WiFi network thus avoiding any such update ]

last event but not less important..... you might be able to start your fydeOS chromium device and also go past logon activity once however, there is no guarantee you may still be able to start your fydeOS system a second time, and after a proper " shutdown " and disconnecting power [ this last " event " is likely tied to your hardware platform... on a mac mini ( end 2012 ) for instance, it's now happening all the time although it wasn't happening with initial beta/preview releases of fydeOS ]

please forgive US for not providing a more reliable solution , fydeOS chromium system seems to have become less and less stable today, we also inquired the developer about their views on enabling flashing OpenGApps once we have android container running however we're not expecting a reply message anytime soon

we'll keep you posted.

marcelo

so on 8.1 version no play store support . can someone confirm that this is the case on the new 8.2 version too?

Last edited:
Reactions: mahir555

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
encl: reply message from FydeOS developer and commenting on ways and opportunities to " flash " openGApps.

take care,

marc

Hi Marcelo,

Thank you for your email and your interest in FydeOS.

From this release (8.21) onwards you will find a chrome app called "Configure Open GApps" in the FydeOS Web Store, which I believe should cater to your needs mentioned in your earlier email.

It's still in the early stages of development, you may find bugs and other glitches, but we are working on those.

Best
Alpha
________

Fyde Innovations
https://fydeos.com

Last edited:
Reactions: coolloser

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
I'm running FydeOS 7.2 off of a flash drive and I don't have a Fyde account. Does anyone know how I can update to the latest version without losing my data? If I go into settings and check for updates, it says I'm on the latest version.

mahir555

Nov 20, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Nexus 6
I used to run fydeos from 16 gb usb drive. It gives me
9-10 gb storage space . But now on version 8.21 it only gives me 2 gb storage ! And it runs out too quickly.

I tried fat32 and ntfs file systems but the results was the same .

Any help ?

Edit : Solved via gparted as i extended the 2gb partition to take all the 9gb unallocated space.

Now I can't install open gapps .. always the installation freez at 40% and the caps lock start flashing forever.

Tried local download for different versions with different dates x86_64 pico ..nano but no luck.

Anybody faced this issue?

Last edited:

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
So, I followed the instructions to enable android. Once you are able to run it while logged in to fydeos with your google credentials, run the fydeos store app. You will not be able to install the opengapps app from it (the button will be greyed out), but you can click the download link next to the name, copying the link, past it into your browser and install if from there. I have the play store up and running, with apps installed and working fine. You will get some errors and a couple of app has stopped working messages, but just give it time while things update. I never had to set up a fydeos account to get any of it working.

Last edited:

mahir555

Nov 20, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Nexus 6
You will not be able to install the opengapps app from it (the button will be greyed out), but you can click the download link next to the name, copying the link, past it into your browser and install if from there.
Thank you.
Indeed i installed open gapps application from the store normally and it downloaded the desired gapps package, but it stucks at 40% while installing it...

I can't find solutions..and i know the open gapps is a beta option now, so i have to wait for the next update , maybe it will be fixed.

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
Thank you.
Indeed i installed open gapps application from the store normally and it downloaded the desired gapps package, but it stucks at 40% while installing it...

I can't find solutions..and i know the open gapps is a beta option now, so i have to wait for the next update , maybe it will be fixed.

Try giving it a bit of time, mine hung at 40% as well.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

I think for me, the biggest issue is wanting Buster over Stretch and updating it and then being disappointed that my Linux programs aren't as stable as I'd like :D

tayteH

Feb 21, 2020
Fydeos vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf not saving edits

I FINALLY GOT IT UP AND RUNNING FULL INSTALL ON MY CHERRY TRAIL LAPTOP FYDEOS HAS NOW BEEN CHROMED OUT! THANK SO MUCH FOR ALL THOSE WHO ASSISTED ME ON THIS! ONE LAST THING. HOW do you get to your secondary account?
I know you did this over a year ago. Hoping you remember.
How did you the vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf file to save the changes
–google-account-enabled
–sync-support-secondary-account
I installed FydeOS_PC_v8.21 on my hard drive. Acer laptop
I am having the same problem you did.
Thanks!
Tayte

primod808

Mar 5, 2011
TOYOHASHI
I know you did this over a year ago. Hoping you remember.
How did you the vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf file to save the changes
–google-account-enabled
I installed FydeOS_PC_v8.21 on my hard drive. Acer laptop
I am having the same problem you did.
Thanks!
Tayte

Don't remember exactly but Google vim commands and check how to save what you typed. In vim for beginners if you screw up its hard if you don't know the commands.

daede86

Oct 16, 2010
Milano
hey guys! is it true that FydeOS allows to use microsoft office windows version?
i have a pixel slate, i love everything but sometimes i still need office (and the online or android versions are not enough).
Should i install FydeOS on my slate? does it make any sense?

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
hey guys! is it true that FydeOS allows to use microsoft office windows version?
i have a pixel slate, i love everything but sometimes i still need office (and the online or android versions are not enough).
Should i install FydeOS on my slate? does it make any sense?
You don't need FydeOS for that. You can do it on Chrome OS. There's this Android app called CrossOver, designed specifically for Chromebooks, which allows you to install and run 32-bit Windows programs on Chrome OS. It was taken off the Play Store, but you can find it on third party sources.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Is there any way to get the full functionality of a FydeOS hard disk installation when running from a USB stick? I'm talking about OTA updates and flashing GApps on 8.21.

Last edited:
Reactions: trveller72

daede86

Oct 16, 2010
Milano
You don't need FydeOS for that. You can do it on Chrome OS. There's this Android app called CrossOver, designed specifically for Chromebooks, which allows you to install and run 32-bit Windows programs on Chrome OS. It was taken off the Play Store, but you can find it on third party sources.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Is there any way to get the full functionality of a FydeOS hard disk installation when running from a USB stick? I'm talking about OTA updates and flashing GApps on 8.21.

amazing, thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
    sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder:)

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.
    While this is still fresh I wanted to clear these instructions up for anyone who builds the fydeOS USB and wants to avoid creating a fydeOS account.

SO here goes
    When your at the fydeOS login screen, notice you cant enter guest mode, so you have to hit ctrl+alt+f2.

Youl get to a fydeOS command line again asking for login and password but they are chronos + chronos for both password and login.

The guide then picks up where lucaoldb left off

then use this commands

sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

THIS IS THE LAST STEP YOU can complete from the command line, simply issue a reboot and boot back to the USB and wa-la google login. Now you can complete the final step once you login with google account.

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented out above. Details below:
    1. sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    2. sudo vim chrome_dev.conf
    3. remove # comments
    4. :wq
    5. :shell
    6. reboot

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

THAT'S IT
    I compiled more detailed guide by using this tread as well as this XDA tread and of course www.google.com
    1. download the image from https://fydeos.com/download
    2. create USB in rufus https://rufus.ie
    follow steps 3-5 if UEFI boot doesnt work (black screen, or stuck on booting message)
    3. set BIOS in legacy boot, quick boot disabled
    4. use VGA output (or another secondary output if available)
    5. boot USB in legacy mode
    to install to HDD follow 7-11
    7. ctrl + alt + F2 after the system logo to enter console
    8. chronos #to log in
    9. /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst /dev/YOURDRIVEHERE (sda) #to run instalation script
    10. sudo reboot
    11. boot from HDD
    12. ctrl + alt + F2 to enter console
    13. sudo su
    14. sudo mount -o remount, rw /
    15. cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    16. sudo rm *
    17. sudo vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf #make sure you type correctly, otherwise you'll open a new text file
    18. comment the lines: (google how to use VIM editor for instructions-> i to edit, esc to stop, del to delete, :wq! to save and exit)
    # — fydeos-account-enabled
    # — fydemina
    19. add lines, save and close:
    –google-account-enabled
    #this and the next line can be changed by typing chrome://flags in browser and changing to enabled
    –arc-vpn
    20. sudo reboot
    21. login with google account
    22. click on android settings app and confirm the prompt
    23. sideload Device ID app https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939830832
    24. copy-paste your GSF ID to this page https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
    25. ctrl+alt+T
    26. shell
    27. repeat steps 13, 14, 17
    28. uncomment the lines in step 18
    29. repeat step 20
    30. login and start android app (play store) setup (if still showing an error give it 5-10 min and log in then)
    31. repeat steps 25-27
    32. repeat step 18 and 20
    33. login, remove fydeoos extensions from the browser if you wish
    enjoy your chrome/android OS :)
    hi there,
    first of all a huge thanks for the elaborated guide
    now coming to the short version of your guide, i tried your guide many a times and i found that we should just create a usb for the installer of fydeos then install it straightaway by using the install command in the terminal by that ctrl+alt+F2 method, its in english only. ( no need to first creating fydeos account and logging in to open chrosh)
    On first boot from hdd we should open the terminal with the above key combo( ctrl+alt+F2 ),
    then just do the steps you have written till inserting # before those fyde lines( as u wrote the google enable line is not needed)
    after the changes are done to the conf file just save and reboot(shutdown and again start)
    viola, you will be presented with google login screen , do the login and after getting to homescreen we need to again open that conf file and remove the #(hashes)
    just reboot again and playstore will be enabled.
    so the trick is to add hashes and then removing them after setting up the account to enable playstore.

for first timers-------- in vim scroll down to the fyde lines and just click i(to enable insert mode) and insert # then press esc to exit insert mode go down to second line of fyde and again click i then insert #, after that press esc and type :wq and press enter, changes will be saved.
    to remove the hash(#) for enabling playstore when in vim scroll down to the hash and click x then type :wq and its done.

OP Thankyou so much, i am using fydeos now on main laptop for gaming, editing, media playback and internet browsing .
    Fyde OS and Arnoldthebat - a look at the differences

I haven't tinkered with FydeOS for months, due to my job and my family.

My how-to was a very quick one and I knew that it could work for the old release of FydeOS that you could download by that time, but when I tested the following ones I faced the same issues that had been so far reported by the other users.

As a lawyer I don't feel like making deep modifications to the img that FydeOS let us download or, to be more straight, I don't feel like sharing any modded file or img, but I still like modding thing, when I have some spare time.

Anyway I have had a look at FydeOS img in comparison to the one by Arnoldthebat ad the main difference in inside the folder "ROOT-A.img\opt\google\containers"

In fact, while inside the one by Arnoldthebat you can find only the sub folder "pins" which only refers to Crostini, inside FydeOS img you have gor plenty of files referring to android, which are inside the subfolders

android
    arc-sdcard
    arc-obb-mounter
    arc-art

I will have a look a the "real" chrome OS img to see if those files are there too (edit: yes, they are in the same position) but I suppose that it shouldn't be that difficult, after mounting the img in linux, either ripping those files from FydeOS and placing them into Arnoldthebat's img or doing the opposite. Then there must be only some config files to look at. Maybe it's the same approach as project Croissant, but I haven't had the time to dig into it yet.

Edit: after looking at chrome OS internals, I seem to understand that:

- android subsystem is there by default for Chrome OS and it's the same for Fyde OS;

- it just waits for being enabled in settings and that step downloads the play store too for chrome OS, while for FydeOS it downloads a sort of modded play store, if I'm not wrong;

- a reasonable approach, in order to avoid the project croissant route which could not work for some device, would be placing inside Arnoldthebat's img not only the android subsystem folders in /opt/containers but also placing the Gapps too, so as for android phones and this should make the trick... Maybe.