• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

FydeOS with full Google sync and without using a FydeOs account

Search This thread

Shawnashley

Oct 21, 2012
Talking Rock
I Love the setup of Fyde OS and this guide takes it to the next level. I have it fully working, with sync, PlayStore, apps and all. Only improvement I can foresee is somehow getting rid of the built in home. Anybody have any ideas how to bypass it? I'm searching.

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
I just tried running the automatic update for 9.2. It ran, downloaded, and asked me to reboot. Upon doing so, I had to reset /etc/chrome_dev.conf, so back it up, it'll simplify things. You will also need to delete the .json file again as well. All that said, after I rebooted and checked, I'm still on 9.1 and the update ran again. So its in a loop now. Is there a way to stop it? I am flirting with just doing a clean install of 9.2.

Edit: HA! Mysterday's post above just kind of sunk in :D

Edit: I went ahead and did a clean install of 9.2. I don't know, it may be an improvement or it just might be that its a clean install and I set it up directly without all the fumbling around and failed attempts stuff hanging out. Because I'm never happy with the old apps under Debian, I run backports and flatpaks. This has improved my ChromeOS experience a great deal.

Last edited:

Gose_AG

Apr 23, 2020
CRX proof missing error

Hi could someone help me a bit. I did the steps right and i booted into fydeos. But the problem is that when i try to install apps from the store i get an error crx proof missing and i need that to get the installer to instal the fydeos on the hdd. The thing is i cant get a fydeos account becouse my country isnt listed. Can i somehow fix this so i can install apps from the store

Shawnashley

Oct 21, 2012
Talking Rock
Hi could someone help me a bit. I did the steps right and i booted into fydeos. But the problem is that when i try to install apps from the store i get an error crx proof missing and i need that to get the installer to instal the fydeos on the hdd. The thing is i cant get a fydeos account becouse my country isnt listed. Can i somehow fix this so i can install apps from the store

I'm not sure where things are going wrong, it should be straight forward to install to HDD. I will be glad to try to help wherever I can though.

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014

Also, try reading back a few posts, the crx issue is covered quite nicely.

To install, try using /sbin/chromeos-install --dst /dev/YOURHDD

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
Does anyone else find that their computer locks up when copying large files from one folder to another?

Edit: No lockups when copying files is the only thing I'm doing, i.e. no other programs running. Can't even browse the internet while waiting.

Last edited:

ptahend01

Nov 26, 2015
FydeOS boot problem

Hi I am trying to run FydeOS but cannot get the USB to boot. I have a Lenovo T430 laptop. I downlpoaded the Fydeos impage flashed it USB with Win32disk. When I boot I get a message syaing "booting the kernel". It never goes any furhter. I tried to flash form LInux machine but get the same error. I also tried different USB sticks but all provide the same issue.

How do I boot the USB?

ptahend01

Nov 26, 2015
Hi I am trying to run FydeOS but cannot get the USB to boot. I have a Lenovo T430 laptop. I downlpoaded the Fydeos impage flashed it USB with Win32disk. When I boot I get a message syaing "booting the kernel". It never goes any furhter. I tried to flash form LInux machine but get the same error. I also tried different USB sticks but all provide the same issue.

How do I boot the USB?

OK so I figuered out that I wat booting in legacy mode not UEFI. When I select UEFI in BIOS I get the grub boot menu on the USB stick but no grapics. When I select VGA (analogue) in the BIOS and connect external screen, I get the graphical menu and a while later the laptop screen also works.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
HI !

you'll need a FydeOS account to get rid of that error. what is the country you're in and missing from the list ?

marc

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

crx_required_proof_missing <<-- that error occurs when logging in with google account. according to our experience, fydeOS account is required and to run such extensions [ chrome OS extension ]

Here's what mine looks like.
Edit: For some reason I was not able to get the play store to download and install the second time that I installed 9.1, however, this configuration is no different from the first when I was able to install it. When I try adding the opengapps app from the fyde store now, I get some sort of crx_required_proof_missing error. Which did not happen the first time I ran 9.1.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

you actually have android container running ? [ what account you used to login ? FydeOS or Google account ? ]

Last edited:

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
HI !

you'll need a FydeOS account to get rid of that error. what is the country you're in and missing from the list ?

marc

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

crx_required_proof_missing <<-- that error occurs when logging in with google account, according to our experience login with fydeOS account is necessary to run extensions [ chromium browser extension ]

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

you actually have android container running ? [ on what account ? FydeOS or Google account ? ]
I do indeed, and running with my Google account. I've never have had a fydeos account and it's not necessary through v. 9.2. All the answers to the crx issue are within the last few pages here. You do not need the installer from the store to install fydeos.

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
Don't get me wrong. I think FydeOS is great and certainly has it's place, however, Sebanc's Brunch is amazing. I'm running Rammus 80 and its far more stable on my Dell 5558 than anything else I've tried. I've been mucking about for a couple hours now and haven't encountered a single issue. Once you work through figuring it all out, I think you'll be glad you gave it a shot.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
hi there ! according to US you do need adding " installer " and then configuring dual boot, are you actually running FydeOS on a SSD and with single or dual boot [ one or two OS's ? ]

I do indeed, and running with my Google account. I've never have had a fydeos account and it's not necessary through v. 9.2. All the answers to the crx issue are within the last few pages here. You do not need the installer from the store to install fydeos.

Last edited:

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
hi there ! according to US you do need adding " installer " and then configuring dual boot.
are you running from SDD and with single OS on ?

I am running from an SSD, but not dual booting. I guess if that was part of the question, I missed it. Sorry. I can only account for what I've done and I have installed it every time without need for the installer from the store. Which is what I understood the question to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
no need to be sorry ! we actually believe apologizing is so pathetic and making things worse. ; )
we probably weren't mentioning that type of installation either , many of US still take things for granted on xda-developer.com.

wonder what is the difference between dual boot and single OS installation of FydeOS and also making that much difference to allow / not allow to have android container running.

we haven't had chances to spend so long on tinkering with fydeOS and over last few weeks, since last releases of fydeOS [ 8.21; 9.1; 9.2 ] android container is also " temperamental " and it won't always start in addition, seasonal hay fever + sinusitis won't allow US to think and focus normally.
[ that COVID 19 isn't the worse thing someone may experience after all. ]

I am running from an SSD, but not dual booting. I guess if that was part of the question, I missed it. Sorry. I can only account for what I've done and I have installed it every time without need for the installer from the store. Which is what I understood the question to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gose_AG

Apr 23, 2020
FydeOS without fyde account working but gapps error

Hi i finally got fydeos to work the newest version available, i installed it on my drive i got it to work without any fydeos accouns. Android also runs so i can install apks without any problem. But when i try to install play store with open gappps i get an error exit 4 code 1
also here is the log:

pastebin.com/jzGPyYgr
It doesnt allow me to post the log here or the full link. Soryy for it i am quite new on xda.

I would appriciate it if anyone could help me out with this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
    sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder:)

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.
    While this is still fresh I wanted to clear these instructions up for anyone who builds the fydeOS USB and wants to avoid creating a fydeOS account.

SO here goes
    When your at the fydeOS login screen, notice you cant enter guest mode, so you have to hit ctrl+alt+f2.

Youl get to a fydeOS command line again asking for login and password but they are chronos + chronos for both password and login.

The guide then picks up where lucaoldb left off

then use this commands

sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

THIS IS THE LAST STEP YOU can complete from the command line, simply issue a reboot and boot back to the USB and wa-la google login. Now you can complete the final step once you login with google account.

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented out above. Details below:
    1. sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    2. sudo vim chrome_dev.conf
    3. remove # comments
    4. :wq
    5. :shell
    6. reboot

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

THAT'S IT
    I compiled more detailed guide by using this tread as well as this XDA tread and of course www.google.com
    1. download the image from https://fydeos.com/download
    2. create USB in rufus https://rufus.ie
    follow steps 3-5 if UEFI boot doesnt work (black screen, or stuck on booting message)
    3. set BIOS in legacy boot, quick boot disabled
    4. use VGA output (or another secondary output if available)
    5. boot USB in legacy mode
    to install to HDD follow 7-11
    7. ctrl + alt + F2 after the system logo to enter console
    8. chronos #to log in
    9. /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst /dev/YOURDRIVEHERE (sda) #to run instalation script
    10. sudo reboot
    11. boot from HDD
    12. ctrl + alt + F2 to enter console
    13. sudo su
    14. sudo mount -o remount, rw /
    15. cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    16. sudo rm *
    17. sudo vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf #make sure you type correctly, otherwise you'll open a new text file
    18. comment the lines: (google how to use VIM editor for instructions-> i to edit, esc to stop, del to delete, :wq! to save and exit)
    # — fydeos-account-enabled
    # — fydemina
    19. add lines, save and close:
    –google-account-enabled
    –sync-support-secondary-account
    #this and the next line can be changed by typing chrome://flags in browser and changing to enabled
    –arc-vpn
    20. sudo reboot
    21. login with google account
    22. click on android settings app and confirm the prompt
    23. sideload Device ID app https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939830832
    24. copy-paste your GSF ID to this page https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
    25. ctrl+alt+T
    26. shell
    27. repeat steps 13, 14, 17
    28. uncomment the lines in step 18
    29. repeat step 20
    30. login and start android app (play store) setup (if still showing an error give it 5-10 min and log in then)
    31. repeat steps 25-27
    32. repeat step 18 and 20
    33. login, remove fydeoos extensions from the browser if you wish
    enjoy your chrome/android OS :)
    hi there,
    first of all a huge thanks for the elaborated guide
    now coming to the short version of your guide, i tried your guide many a times and i found that we should just create a usb for the installer of fydeos then install it straightaway by using the install command in the terminal by that ctrl+alt+F2 method, its in english only. ( no need to first creating fydeos account and logging in to open chrosh)
    On first boot from hdd we should open the terminal with the above key combo( ctrl+alt+F2 ),
    then just do the steps you have written till inserting # before those fyde lines( as u wrote the google enable line is not needed)
    after the changes are done to the conf file just save and reboot(shutdown and again start)
    viola, you will be presented with google login screen , do the login and after getting to homescreen we need to again open that conf file and remove the #(hashes)
    just reboot again and playstore will be enabled.
    so the trick is to add hashes and then removing them after setting up the account to enable playstore.

for first timers-------- in vim scroll down to the fyde lines and just click i(to enable insert mode) and insert # then press esc to exit insert mode go down to second line of fyde and again click i then insert #, after that press esc and type :wq and press enter, changes will be saved.
    to remove the hash(#) for enabling playstore when in vim scroll down to the hash and click x then type :wq and its done.

OP Thankyou so much, i am using fydeos now on main laptop for gaming, editing, media playback and internet browsing .
    Fyde OS and Arnoldthebat - a look at the differences

I haven't tinkered with FydeOS for months, due to my job and my family.

My how-to was a very quick one and I knew that it could work for the old release of FydeOS that you could download by that time, but when I tested the following ones I faced the same issues that had been so far reported by the other users.

As a lawyer I don't feel like making deep modifications to the img that FydeOS let us download or, to be more straight, I don't feel like sharing any modded file or img, but I still like modding thing, when I have some spare time.

Anyway I have had a look at FydeOS img in comparison to the one by Arnoldthebat ad the main difference in inside the folder "ROOT-A.img\opt\google\containers"

In fact, while inside the one by Arnoldthebat you can find only the sub folder "pins" which only refers to Crostini, inside FydeOS img you have gor plenty of files referring to android, which are inside the subfolders

android
    arc-sdcard
    arc-obb-mounter
    arc-art

I will have a look a the "real" chrome OS img to see if those files are there too (edit: yes, they are in the same position) but I suppose that it shouldn't be that difficult, after mounting the img in linux, either ripping those files from FydeOS and placing them into Arnoldthebat's img or doing the opposite. Then there must be only some config files to look at. Maybe it's the same approach as project Croissant, but I haven't had the time to dig into it yet.

Edit: after looking at chrome OS internals, I seem to understand that:

- android subsystem is there by default for Chrome OS and it's the same for Fyde OS;

- it just waits for being enabled in settings and that step downloads the play store too for chrome OS, while for FydeOS it downloads a sort of modded play store, if I'm not wrong;

- a reasonable approach, in order to avoid the project croissant route which could not work for some device, would be placing inside Arnoldthebat's img not only the android subsystem folders in /opt/containers but also placing the Gapps too, so as for android phones and this should make the trick... Maybe.