FydeOS with full Google sync and without using a FydeOs account

Search This thread

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Got the most updated release installed, Gapps installed, the set for standalone google login. I don't trust Fyde with my info or access to passwords. Anyways, since the gapps app allows to load an "update.zip" from downloads, I wonder on the chances of using other zip flashables as long as they are renamed to the name mentioned above? Anyone given it a try yet?

bebop80

May 10, 2014
Varese
Project Treble
Hello guys, I'm very new here , I love this chromium distro. I followed the instructions and I've been able to activate the google sync and the play store has been installed but it won't open: the icon keeps loading but nothing happens.

I downloaded chrome from the fydeos store and even if it opens it doenst work (seems offline)

Have you got any idea on what to do?

Thank you in advance for your help

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
Hello guys, I'm very new here , I love this chromium distro. I followed the instructions and I've been able to activate the google sync and the play store has been installed but it won't open: the icon keeps loading but nothing happens.

I downloaded chrome from the fydeos store and even if it opens it doenst work (seems offline)

Have you got any idea on what to do?

Thank you in advance for your help

On versions of FydeOS past 7.2 the method for installing Play Store described here doesn't work anymore. If you're on 8.21, you have to download the Open GApps installer from the Fyde web store and use that, but it will only work if the OS is installed to the internal drive. If you want to run FydeOS from USB and have the Play Store working, you'll have to settle for version 7.2.

bebop80

May 10, 2014
Varese
Project Treble
On versions of FydeOS past 7.2 the method for installing Play Store described here doesn't work anymore. If you're on 8.21, you have to download the Open GApps installer from the Fyde web store and use that, but it will only work if the OS is installed to the internal drive. If you want to run FydeOS from USB and have the Play Store working, you'll have to settle for version 7.2.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply, I followed your instructions but I didn't get the play store to work. Have you got some spare time for helping me to with the fyde os 8.21? I'd really appreciate it.
(I already tried the project croissant but quite unstable on my laptop and fyde os is really amazing and 100% compatible).
Thank you in advance for your great help :) be safe!

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply, I followed your instructions but I didn't get the play store to work. Have you got some spare time for helping me to with the fyde os 8.21? I'd really appreciate it.
(I already tried the project croissant but quite unstable on my laptop and fyde os is really amazing and 100% compatible).

I run FydeOS from USB, so I'm stuck on 7.2, but I might be able to help you. What exactly happens when you try to use the Open GApps installer?

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hello,

On 8.21, open the fydeos store and search "configure open gapps". Open it and follow instructions. It will download and install gapps. Sign in to google and there you go

Reactions: bebop80

bebop80

May 10, 2014
Varese
Project Treble
On 8.21, open the fydeos store and search "configure open gapps". Open it and follow instructions. It will download and install gapps. Sign in to google and there you go

Thank you ALL very much for your help ( I love this xda website, there is lot of very nice and helpful people!).

I'm actually waiting to find a new "fake" phone number for creating a new fydeos account so that I'll be able to log in and to download the gapps!!
All phone online phone numbers, every time I try, are already taken :(

Thank you so much guys, all of you, keep safe and stay home :)

theportal2

Thank you ALL very much for your help ( I love this xda website, there is lot of very nice and helpful people!).

I'm actually waiting to find a new "fake" phone number for creating a new fydeos account so that I'll be able to log in and to download the gapps!!
All phone online phone numbers, every time I try, are already taken :(

Thank you so much guys, all of you, keep safe and stay home :)

Dude just install google voice, gives you a second phone number.

mahir555

Nov 20, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Nexus 6
Hi .. a tried several times to install open gapps but it fails to complete downloading it every time.

Can i install it manually ? Any link for the zip pls?

Edit: i figured it out. But it was a nightmare :eek:

Now the only bugs i have is the microphone not working except via the headphones and the touch pad not working too.
Iam running it as dual boot on dell 13 core i5 - intel hd graphics.

Last edited:

UK Jules

Mar 31, 2010
Really Really Excellent...Works on a VMware VM too

@lucaoldb - thank you so much for your Post; I was attracted to the Fyde fork for the option of Android Apps (unlike CloudReady where this is not an option) - but wasn't too happy about about my data going through Fyde's servers.

I downloaded VMware image 'v7.1-Preview1' from Fyde's site and, after following your instructions and learning some VIM commands, it works great. My version of VMware Professional Version 11.5.3 (15870345) running on MacOS Catalina 10.15.4. Unsure if many people have taken the VM route v booting from USB?

As I've spent a day of time on this, I wanted to now share what I found/learnt as I went through this process - as feedback and to help others who are tempted to try doing it - please take the below in the spirit they're offered (some may not apply to you especially if you're doing the boot from USB route):

1. When Importing the downloaded image, VMware didn't install it without a message that the image didn't fully comply => 'retry' worked fine :)
2. As I'm UK-based, UK is not listed on the List entering your Mobile; getting the Fyde Verification Code via Mobile (to create my Fyde User Account) was a real pain :( I tried the 3rd Party 'free' services and all were blocked/never arrived. I ended-up asking a friend in a Country on the List to then message me the Code which landed on their mobile ;)
3. The good news is that once you've created this Account, it's a one-off and you can use it for multiple/repeat Installations :) Just use a dedicated 'test' gmail account ;)
4. I allocated 4MB RAM; use vm default HDD...adjusting the VM hard disk allocation a) didn't make any difference and b) couldn't be resized back down (RAM can be easily resized up/down)
5. When making the edits to the 'chrome_dev.conf' I did a log-off then shut-down (at one stage via the VMware VM 'shut-down') - from my memory, I had an issue with being unable to re-edit the same file if I just did 'restart' from within Fyde. Just do the multiple somewhat pedantic steps route to reboot is safest imo
6. Use the dedicated 'test' gmail account for the initial 1st Installation; and a.n.other non-critical or non-confidential data 'day-to-day' gmail for the 2nd FydeOS user account. If you follow the instructions, the second user account does not route your log-on details or the associated gmail account through the Fyde servers :). You can test your second account settings by disabling the Fyde Chrome Extensions->testing->then deleting->testing for that 2nd account and checking that the OS still works fine for that 2nd account
7. The 1st Primary Account can't be removed or hidden at the log-on page; just ignore it and only log-on to the 2nd account
8. I initially found there were storage warnings when I downloaded Apps from the Google Play Store; I created a new VM and increased the assigned RAM and all seems stable (as of writing) > @lucaoldb - any thoughts on this when run as a vm?<<
9. During one stage of the installation, the Google Drive icon in 'Files' appeared, stayed for 10 secs, then disappeared - never to be seen again! :-| I'm assuming this is due to the older version of FydeOS compared to the USB option and/or it's running as a vm? Just guesses. > @lucaoldb - any thoughts?<<
10. I found an issue that YouTube didn't display the images properly - say if they're embedded in a web site. The Android YouTube App showed the same issue :(
11. After some experimenting, the workaround was to download Opera; then the YouTube site played images/sound perfectly :) > @lucaoldb - is this likely an old Chromium codec issue? Any known fixes for this version? <<

Whilst I've asked @lucaoldb some Q's, if anyone else knows that answer do share these.

That's it folks! Hope that helps?

If anyone

Last edited:
Reactions: trveller72

Dark Obsessions

Aug 16, 2012
São Paulo
OnePlus 7T
hi all, I have a strange porblem never encountered before with fydeos, yesterday I updated my system to the latest version 9.2, after that I can not change the language of input not matter what I did. added the desired langauge from setting and I can see it in the bar. when I switch to this language and type it keep typing in english. tried other languages with no luck. anyone have an idea about such problem and how it could be solved? thanks in advance.

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hi .. a tried several times to install open gapps but it fails to complete downloading it every time.

Now the only bugs i have is the microphone not working except via the headphones and the touch pad not working too.

I am having the same mic and touchpad issue on my Dell 15-5568 (i3). It is an all in one, but no sensors registering either. It will just take some time to get all that stuff into the kernel like it did for android on pc builds.

Reactions: mahir555

junierw200

May 17, 2014
Panama
I recently installed fydeos on a 160gb hard drive and it says I only have 3.7gb available. How do I increase the amount of storage I have usable?

Use this shorturl.at/GRZ18 maybe it will work for you.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

I recently installed fydeos on a 160gb hard drive and it says I only have 3.7gb available. How do I increase the amount of storage I have usable?

Use this, maybe it will work for you shorturl.at/GRZ18.

Litmusp

Apr 7, 2020
Help me please :'(

Hi there I just installed 9.1 on my laptop but I don't have gaaps I tried millions of times but couldn't could you please tell me how to install gapps on 9.1 I have a play store icon but it doesn't open...

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I did factory reset and started with Google chromebook screen which wants to type gmail as if my laptop is normal chromebook

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
chrome://flags can be accessed when " flashing " SSD/HDD with fydeOS and we only managed to access [ chrome://flags ] when using fydeOS account.

also...
.conf file [ /etc/xxx xxxx .conf ] has few more lines you may want to comment out [ then uncomment ] however, we managed to " launch " android sub-system once only.
openGApps keeps downloading same file [ 165MB " Update.zip " ] over and over.

can anyone access chrome flags in 9.1 version? tried here with no luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Obsessions

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
I had fydeos installed on my harddrive and all worked just fine. But, since I use this drive to mess around with other OSes I later installed freebsd 13 (freebsd8 was once my main driver and I just wanted to look around... I've forgotten SO much...) anyways I went with zfs, and played around a bit. Now I'd like to run fydeos again. Well, once installed I can't boot from the hard drive now. When I flash it to my SSD like you would a thumb drive, it boots just fine, but when I install it to the drive from the command line like one would normally do, it won't boot. This is so frustrating. Any advice?

Edit: My issue was fixed by using this from project croissant,
curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/imperador/chromefy/master/lab/fix_grub.sh | sudo bash -s /dev/sda

Last edited:

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014

Care to share the nightmare? what did you do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been using it in surface 7 specific for 2 weeks..

Works fine except

1. Cannot login with PIN..must use google password
    2. Once i use my SP7 till empty battery..and voila..once i entered fydeos gapps error and must install from beginning

The rest is okay..battery is good not best as i expected..
    FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
    sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder:)

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.
    While this is still fresh I wanted to clear these instructions up for anyone who builds the fydeOS USB and wants to avoid creating a fydeOS account.

SO here goes
    When your at the fydeOS login screen, notice you cant enter guest mode, so you have to hit ctrl+alt+f2.

Youl get to a fydeOS command line again asking for login and password but they are chronos + chronos for both password and login.

The guide then picks up where lucaoldb left off

then use this commands

sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
    #--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

THIS IS THE LAST STEP YOU can complete from the command line, simply issue a reboot and boot back to the USB and wa-la google login. Now you can complete the final step once you login with google account.

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented out above. Details below:
    1. sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    2. sudo vim chrome_dev.conf
    3. remove # comments
    4. :wq
    5. :shell
    6. reboot

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

THAT'S IT
    I compiled more detailed guide by using this tread as well as this XDA tread and of course www.google.com
    1. download the image from https://fydeos.com/download
    2. create USB in rufus https://rufus.ie
    follow steps 3-5 if UEFI boot doesnt work (black screen, or stuck on booting message)
    3. set BIOS in legacy boot, quick boot disabled
    4. use VGA output (or another secondary output if available)
    5. boot USB in legacy mode
    to install to HDD follow 7-11
    7. ctrl + alt + F2 after the system logo to enter console
    8. chronos #to log in
    9. /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst /dev/YOURDRIVEHERE (sda) #to run instalation script
    10. sudo reboot
    11. boot from HDD
    12. ctrl + alt + F2 to enter console
    13. sudo su
    14. sudo mount -o remount, rw /
    15. cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    16. sudo rm *
    17. sudo vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf #make sure you type correctly, otherwise you'll open a new text file
    18. comment the lines: (google how to use VIM editor for instructions-> i to edit, esc to stop, del to delete, :wq! to save and exit)
    # — fydeos-account-enabled
    # — fydemina
    19. add lines, save and close:
    –google-account-enabled
    –sync-support-secondary-account
    #this and the next line can be changed by typing chrome://flags in browser and changing to enabled
    –arc-vpn
    20. sudo reboot
    21. login with google account
    22. click on android settings app and confirm the prompt
    23. sideload Device ID app https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939830832
    24. copy-paste your GSF ID to this page https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
    25. ctrl+alt+T
    26. shell
    27. repeat steps 13, 14, 17
    28. uncomment the lines in step 18
    29. repeat step 20
    30. login and start android app (play store) setup (if still showing an error give it 5-10 min and log in then)
    31. repeat steps 25-27
    32. repeat step 18 and 20
    33. login, remove fydeoos extensions from the browser if you wish
    enjoy your chrome/android OS :)
    hi there,
    first of all a huge thanks for the elaborated guide
    now coming to the short version of your guide, i tried your guide many a times and i found that we should just create a usb for the installer of fydeos then install it straightaway by using the install command in the terminal by that ctrl+alt+F2 method, its in english only. ( no need to first creating fydeos account and logging in to open chrosh)
    On first boot from hdd we should open the terminal with the above key combo( ctrl+alt+F2 ),
    then just do the steps you have written till inserting # before those fyde lines( as u wrote the google enable line is not needed)
    after the changes are done to the conf file just save and reboot(shutdown and again start)
    viola, you will be presented with google login screen , do the login and after getting to homescreen we need to again open that conf file and remove the #(hashes)
    just reboot again and playstore will be enabled.
    so the trick is to add hashes and then removing them after setting up the account to enable playstore.

for first timers-------- in vim scroll down to the fyde lines and just click i(to enable insert mode) and insert # then press esc to exit insert mode go down to second line of fyde and again click i then insert #, after that press esc and type :wq and press enter, changes will be saved.
    to remove the hash(#) for enabling playstore when in vim scroll down to the hash and click x then type :wq and its done.

OP Thankyou so much, i am using fydeos now on main laptop for gaming, editing, media playback and internet browsing .
    Fyde OS and Arnoldthebat - a look at the differences

I haven't tinkered with FydeOS for months, due to my job and my family.

My how-to was a very quick one and I knew that it could work for the old release of FydeOS that you could download by that time, but when I tested the following ones I faced the same issues that had been so far reported by the other users.

As a lawyer I don't feel like making deep modifications to the img that FydeOS let us download or, to be more straight, I don't feel like sharing any modded file or img, but I still like modding thing, when I have some spare time.

Anyway I have had a look at FydeOS img in comparison to the one by Arnoldthebat ad the main difference in inside the folder "ROOT-A.img\opt\google\containers"

In fact, while inside the one by Arnoldthebat you can find only the sub folder "pins" which only refers to Crostini, inside FydeOS img you have gor plenty of files referring to android, which are inside the subfolders

android
    arc-sdcard
    arc-obb-mounter
    arc-art

I will have a look a the "real" chrome OS img to see if those files are there too (edit: yes, they are in the same position) but I suppose that it shouldn't be that difficult, after mounting the img in linux, either ripping those files from FydeOS and placing them into Arnoldthebat's img or doing the opposite. Then there must be only some config files to look at. Maybe it's the same approach as project Croissant, but I haven't had the time to dig into it yet.

Edit: after looking at chrome OS internals, I seem to understand that:

- android subsystem is there by default for Chrome OS and it's the same for Fyde OS;

- it just waits for being enabled in settings and that step downloads the play store too for chrome OS, while for FydeOS it downloads a sort of modded play store, if I'm not wrong;

- a reasonable approach, in order to avoid the project croissant route which could not work for some device, would be placing inside Arnoldthebat's img not only the android subsystem folders in /opt/containers but also placing the Gapps too, so as for android phones and this should make the trick... Maybe.