• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question G cam

Search This thread

althafjava

Feb 13, 2021

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211003-061355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211003-061355_Chrome.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 113

stillka

Mar 9, 2008
Presov
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

althafjava

Feb 13, 2021

sanderbos

Nov 28, 2018
Amsterdam
I am using:

Hello stillka,

is that on A52 or A52s?
The question was for A52s, but I think since you were also active in another thread that you are using an A52?

They have different chipsets. I have now tried maybe 10 different gcam versions and they all have the same problem on A52s, that the viewfinder freezes after 3-4 seconds (even before taking a picture).

althafjava

Feb 13, 2021
Hello stillka,

is that on A52 or A52s?
The question was for A52s, but I think since you were also active in another thread that you are using an A52?

They have different chipsets. I have now tried maybe 10 different gcam versions and they all have the same problem on A52s, that the viewfinder freezes after 3-4 seconds (even before taking a picture).
Actually I had A52 ... Then I got a A52s... Now using A52s. ..no G cam is working

stillka

Mar 9, 2008
Presov
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Hello stillka,

is that on A52 or A52s?

I am sorry abou that, my phone was A52 5G that time...

sanderbos

Nov 28, 2018
Amsterdam
I am sorry abou that, my phone was A52 5G that time...
Okay, thank you and althafjava both for replying.

So at least here there is nobody who got it to work on A52s..

There was actually a bunch of S21 users with the exact same issue, but the versions they have with fixes for them don't seem to work either on A52s. I just hope since it's very new that it will be fixed, but it is so weird that it works in those few seconds before it freezes (you can take a high quality picture if you press the shutter fast enough).

althafjava

Feb 13, 2021
Okay, thank you and althafjava both for replying.

So at least here there is nobody who got it to work on A52s..

There was actually a bunch of S21 users with the exact same issue, but the versions they have with fixes for them don't seem to work either on A52s. I just hope since it's very new that it will be fixed, but it is so weird that it works in those few seconds before it freezes (you can take a high quality picture if you press the shutter fast enough).
Well I still don't know what is the Mistry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, I actually got something working on A52s, thanks to a comment from Windoors here:

You have to change the Photo Session, and no I have no idea what that is or what the values below actually mean.

To make it concrete, here is how I got GCam working on the A52s (emphasis on 'S'):

- Download and install
    I picked the ruler package name version
    - Load luke-A52-BSG-GV1.xml from the configs section of the URL above (location of file does not matter, double tap next to shutter button and select it).
    - Now you have a camera app that freezes up after 3 seconds on A52s (you can still take pictures before that freeze)
    - Go to the Settings, then
    Modules
    Back (1.0)
    Session of photo modes (near the bottom of the list)
    and enter the value 61444
    Then do the same for
    Settings / Modules / Back (0.5) / Session of photo modes / 61444
    Settings / Modules / Front (1.0) / Session of photo modes / 61444
    (I don't think the Back 1.1 and Front 0.8 do anything, so I don't think they need changing)

And presto working GCam with all camera's working, both for photos and videos.
    Is 61444 the best value? No idea, I have no idea what it even means, so I will experiment more.

If you want to try it with other GCam versions, that 'Session' value is stored in different locations.
    For instance in Gcam-8.1.101.build-V6.2.211013 from Arnova8G2 it is under Settings|Advanced|Stream Config|Enable OPMode and then set it for Main
    and in MGC_8.3.252_V0e it is under Settings|Photo modes session config|Session ID
    But both of these versions at least initially appear to have less stability and features, so I am at least for continuing to experiment with MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1u for nfol

Okay, I actually got something working on A52s, thanks to a comment from Windoors here:

You have to change the Photo Session, and no I have no idea what that is or what the values below actually mean.

To make it concrete, here is how I got GCam working on the A52s (emphasis on 'S'):

- Download and install
    - Load luke-A52-BSG-GV1.xml from the configs section of the URL above (location of file does not matter, double tap next to shutter button and select it).
    - Now you have a camera app that freezes up after 3 seconds on A52s (you can still take pictures before that freeze)
    Modules
    Back (1.0)
    Then do the same for
    (I don't think the Back 1.1 and Front 0.8 do anything, so I don't think they need changing)

Is 61444 the best value? No idea, I have no idea what it even means, so I will experiment more.

If you want to try it with other GCam versions, that 'Session' value is stored in different locations.
    For instance in Gcam-8.1.101.build-V6.2.211013 from Arnova8G2 it is under Settings|Advanced|Stream Config|Enable OPMode and then set it for Main
    and in MGC_8.3.252_V0e it is under Settings|Photo modes session config|Session ID
    But both of these versions at least initially appear to have less stability and features, so I am at least for continuing to experiment with MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1u for now.

Had the freezing bug before I stumbled upon your post. I was afraid it gonna mess up the phone but it was worth the shot!
    Thanks a lot !

PS : Just got a new A52S (8/256) yesterday, I'm wondering why XDA doesn't have a proper page for the model (I know for sure that it has the same camera setups as the previous models (A52 LTE and A52 5G)
    This is the reason of my question if it could be possible to stack more than just 15 shots (I'm not a developer and I have no idea :) )

I am a developer, but I also have no idea! :)
    Like I said before, I really have not ever taken a useful picture in this mode myself (and it's cloudy again here tonight)

If you go to the GCam Settings|Modules|Back (1.0)|Astro max exposure time
    you can force it to 35 seconds. If you then take a picture of night sky (or at least a pitch dark room) it will go to 1 minute 55 seconds of processing. So I wonder whether this 10 second limit is really a thing. But in this GCam version at least on A52s you cannot set it beyond 35 seconds (also not if you try to sneakily force it in the xml config file, which I just tried).

But you are not limited to this GCam version. As I said at the end of the comment of October 24, you are not limited to this one GCam version, it is just that in other versions you have go and find the 'Photo Session Id' setting somewhere in the settings. So you can try to find a GCam version that a) let's you configure the astro mode more and b) let's you set the photo session id to prevent the viewfinder from freezing.

Or did the people in the Telegram group say it is limited for all GCam versions on this phone (again, you can set it to 35 seconds it seems to me, but I cannot really try it out with a real sky).
    It's cloudy here, too :) but I tryed in a dark room. With a gcam in my old LG G5, i got a total time of 4 minutes and a bunch of seconds, while with a52s less than two minutes.

I tryed to set it to a longer exposure time: 35 seconds will be useless for stars because they move, a good value should be around 16 seconds (which is the base setting for astrophotagraphy mode in the pixel phones)

The final images seem about the same to me, probably because this phone model cannot take single shots longer than 10 seconds, no matter what gcam settings are.

In a telegram group abaut a52s gcam, I found this:
    "-goto night sight turn on astro from drop down menu & IMPORTANT THING IS KEEP 8 SEC PER FRAME "

This a short video about the astro mode on pixels:
    I tryed to set it to a longer exposure time: 35 seconds will be useless for stars because they move, a good value should be around 16 seconds (which is the base setting for astrophotagraphy mode in the pixel phones)

The final images seem about the same to me, probably because this phone model cannot take single shots longer than 10 seconds, no matter what gcam settings are.

"-goto night sight turn on astro from drop down menu & IMPORTANT THING IS KEEP 8 SEC PER FRAME "

Let me start off by saying that I am not that interested in the astrophotography mode, that is not why I use GCam at all.

But I have now become interested in what it means, and what the limitations of my A52s are, I am now just curious.

I did find this article
    which also described what you say, about how it is intended to be 15 shots of 16 seconds each, and then they put them all together compensating for the rotation of earth.
    (Note that that article is from 2019, so it is of course possible that Google has changed their optimium settings since then)

And as I said the maximum 'shot-time' for astrophotography with the MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1u on A52s that I can find is 1 minute 55 seconds, so 115 seconds. It can be less, but not more, for whatever reason.

But I do not think the maximum exposure time is 8 or 10 seconds. Rather I think the limitation is that you can get a maximum of 115 seconds of 'shot-time'. So you can get an exposure time of 16 or even 35 seconds if you configure that, you just can't get those 15 exposures that Google found to be ideal.

It could very well be that 8 seconds is recommended for other reasons, but not for the technical reason that the A52s simply cannot manage more.

I am going to wait for a clear sky and then try with 16 seconds configured, that matches the initial Google recommendation, and then you get a maximum of 7 shots in the maximum alotted 115 seconds. But I will take that photo in Amsterdam, so a lot of light pollution from the city, so it's never going to be great.

[Removed video experiment]
    If you take an astrophotography shot in a dark room and expriment with pointing the camera at a different subject every 16 seconds (or every 8 seconds) you can see that it really takes 16 second exposures.

(I also tried to use the astrophotography mode of some other GCam versions, specically MGC_8.3.252_V0e, Gcam-8.1.101.build-V6.2.211013, NGCam_8.2.300-v1.4, but none of them even really wanted to take a long picture even with the lens covered, so MGC_8.1.101etc. is at least not a bad starting point)
    I am using mgc 8.1 with xml and samsun libraries and i was wondering same about expanding exposure, i happend do try in last few days some mode form nikita 7.xxx not sure wich and i foind out it had started 4 minutes exposure but it was buggy build and i forget about it i will try to download bunch of them and try to shoot stars in next week during nightshifts so we can compare
    Ok i tryed nikita cam it was NGCam_7.4.104-v1.9_snap.apk wich wid xml cinfiguration file of sa3idis.djelfa.config2samsungA71.xml and seting cameras to sesion module of EISv3 (that setting or seting it to 61448 stops camera from crashin after 2seconds) and surprisingly it gave me over 6 minutes of exposure for astrophotography, sadly that night it was too cloudy so i couldn't review it's real application but sadly for other of uses of this mode it didnot showed any significant upgrade over 1:09 of MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1n_scan3d.apk, also it fails to focus in dark, i will try it on stars as it might be better at fixed focus on infinity, attached first photo with over 6minutes of exposure second under 2minutes

- Download and install
    Modules
    Back (1.0)
    Then do the same for

But both of these versions at least initially appear to have less stability and features, so I am at least for continuing to experiment with MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1u for now.
    Working for me thx!

- Download and install
    Modules
    Back (1.0)
    Then do the same for

But both of these versions at least initially appear to have less stability and features, so I am at least for continuing to experiment with MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1u for nfol

- Download and install
    Modules
    Back (1.0)
    Then do the same for

Had the freezing bug before I stumbled upon your post. I was afraid it gonna mess up the phone but it was worth the shot!
    Thanks a lot !

PS : Just got a new A52S (8/256) yesterday, I'm wondering why XDA doesn't have a proper page for the model (I know for sure that it has the same camera setups as the previous models (A52 LTE and A52 5G)
    This is the reason of my question if it could be possible to stack more than just 15 shots (I'm not a developer and I have no idea :) )

I am a developer, but I also have no idea! :)
    Like I said before, I really have not ever taken a useful picture in this mode myself (and it's cloudy again here tonight)

If you go to the GCam Settings|Modules|Back (1.0)|Astro max exposure time
    you can force it to 35 seconds. If you then take a picture of night sky (or at least a pitch dark room) it will go to 1 minute 55 seconds of processing. So I wonder whether this 10 second limit is really a thing. But in this GCam version at least on A52s you cannot set it beyond 35 seconds (also not if you try to sneakily force it in the xml config file, which I just tried).

But you are not limited to this GCam version. As I said at the end of the comment of October 24, you are not limited to this one GCam version, it is just that in other versions you have go and find the 'Photo Session Id' setting somewhere in the settings. So you can try to find a GCam version that a) let's you configure the astro mode more and b) let's you set the photo session id to prevent the viewfinder from freezing.

Or did the people in the Telegram group say it is limited for all GCam versions on this phone (again, you can set it to 35 seconds it seems to me, but I cannot really try it out with a real sky).
    It's cloudy here, too :) but I tryed in a dark room. With a gcam in my old LG G5, i got a total time of 4 minutes and a bunch of seconds, while with a52s less than two minutes.

This a short video about the astro mode on pixels: