G Flex is so good I can't even find a real upgrade device

Search This thread

hitmantb

Mar 20, 2012
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks

Look at iPhone 6s/6s+'s, 750p/1080p, beats Android flagships in benchmarks and destroys them in on-screen GPU tests and real world usage. It literally doubled note 5 in on-screen FPS.

G Flex with its 720p screen and Snapdragon 800 is THE best battery/performance combination period. I am on LTE all day browsing the web and playing Hearthstone against people in real time, and even with this heavy usage I get 4-5 hours screen time. If I am on WIFI easily 5-6 hours screen time. My phone never overheats and I haven't seen any of the Snapdragon 805/810 devices being faster in real usage because of their 2K screens. In fact, all of them are a step backward in battery life. I never felt the 720p non-pentile screen was lacking in any way, low resolution / large text is a benefit when viewing contents that don't dpi scale properly!

For me, LG G3/G4/GFlex 2 are without any question downgrades. Battery life is significantly worse, screens are smaller, increased performance of CPU/GPU don't even cover the resolution increase. Just look at on-screen tests.

Really wish they make more 720p/1080p devices with latest processors, it looks like I am being pushed to iPhone 6s+ / 7+ down the road if nobody in the Android camp wises up. 2K screen is a downgrade not an upgrade in overall user experience!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2015
Chester
Z3 and z5 compact are the only things that come close but they have tiny screens, otherwise the oppo r7 plus just don't expect updates, I guess with the g flex you're used to that :p

I went from a nexus 5 (small battery) to the g3 (very warm and bad battery) to the z2 and I love it. 2 days battery life and magnetic charging port for a cool alarm clock.

Lushharris

Oct 6, 2015
Fellow flex user

Hey man what up couldn't agree more love my flex. I have the g3 as well, live it but still use my flex about 50 50 with my g3. Just can't seem to let it go haha. I would suggest the new Lg nexus 5x, it's a 1080 seems to fit what your looking for!

Karo.

Nov 22, 2011
Mashhad
Hey man what up couldn't agree more love my flex. I have the g3 as well, live it but still use my flex about 50 50 with my g3. Just can't seem to let it go haha. I would suggest the new Lg nexus 5x, it's a 1080 seems to fit what your looking for!
that 2800 battery sux

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Zaiaku

May 11, 2006
zaiaku.net
For about a week I was looking for a replacement for my g flex. None found. The only thing I wanted additional was a sd card and I was good. Replacement must have amoled and not a Samsung device. Everything I've seen is a downgrade in to many areas.

Badnewsbilbo

Jun 18, 2013
Nexus 6 would be my only comparable upgrade from the flex
Amoled, pretty respectable battery, it does have a crazy screen but once you use one, it's definitely not something you can easily forget. stock android, snapdragon 805, decent camera... other than that, I don't think there's anything that would be competing for my pocket in the "phablet" category.

mrphil101

Apr 2, 2009
NPR, Florida
I dropped my flex then dropped it some more and spider webbed the screen terribly bad. Was tired of the locked BL and decided I wanted to go back to the nexus line, had the first and the n4 and now the N6. The flex was relegated to a card playing toy. I started messing around with it again recently, and it is a nice unit. I am going to replace the screen/housing ($90~) and put it back in service. I have been trying to get the weather app off of it cause I really love it, screen saver too. Not going so well, but we'll see.

JeffMD

Dec 24, 2013
I kinda want to upgrade, the new chaos and order 2 performs horribly on it, but then I keep talking myself out of it cause its like "Your going to pay $400 just to play that one game?" everything else about it is perfect.

bgsitizen

Feb 7, 2008
I'm in the same boat.. nothing to upgrade to! Nothing!!!! Well maybe Nexus 6 when the price comes down as of not I am not willing to pay what they ask. I am so desperate I am considering another Flex so I have a spare and just stay with it until someone makes a decent 6" phone I care to have. I sort of wish I stayed with 5.5" phones so I have many options to upgrade ..

mckoffly

Mar 20, 2009
Chemnitz
I switched from my Flex to the Huawei Mate 7 -> best desicion ever. Better Screen, better Battery and Lollipop 5.1.1

I will never buy any LG product again after what LG did with the Flex and their "Updates". I will stay with Huawei ;)

UzY3L

Mar 16, 2014
The only upgrade from the G-Flex would be going to the Huawei P8Max. I can't wait to buy it. For me, it would be the perfect AIO device.

dsemen19

Jan 29, 2013
I love g flex. A year ago I bought lg g3 for contract ,when I open the box suddenly I think....no,no,no,I have to sell g3 and buy g flex. After a week I have g flex in my hands....?. 4 months later I buy another for my wife and she loved as well. My contract finish soon and I have no idea what to do. I read in the web that lg g flex 3 was cancelled and I dont se any mobile that suits me. I went to shop and have a look,and when I hold in hand couple phones (not curved) was strange feeling. I decided to buy lg g flex 2 for my wife and grab g flex from wife for me. Really Im not see any phone who gonna be so perfect like g flex,obviously they are better phones,with better camera,more storage but I don't give a f....,...g flex forever.

dk34997

May 4, 2006
Seriously...

I've had this phone two years. I used to upgrade AT LEAST once a year. Something is telling me to get anther phone but there is nothing better out. I don't want a smaller, flat screen. I put in a Windows 8 launcher and live that, it almost feels like a new phone, but deep down I know it's still the same amazing hand set. Sucks, but then again, it doesn't. People still see out and I can tell they love it.

fronz

Sep 10, 2006
I've had my flex since 2013 now its time to let it go. I switched to the Note 4 for now. The Flex 2 was smaller than liked so I passed on it, but hope to come back to LG when they release the G5...

The Note 4 isnt that bad... metal frame, more ram, fingerprint scanner, better camera and sdcard again

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks

Look at iPhone 6s/6s+'s, 750p/1080p, beats Android flagships in benchmarks and destroys them in on-screen GPU tests and real world usage. It literally doubled note 5 in on-screen FPS.

G Flex with its 720p screen and Snapdragon 800 is THE best battery/performance combination period. I am on LTE all day browsing the web and playing Hearthstone against people in real time, and even with this heavy usage I get 4-5 hours screen time. If I am on WIFI easily 5-6 hours screen time. My phone never overheats and I haven't seen any of the Snapdragon 805/810 devices being faster in real usage because of their 2K screens. In fact, all of them are a step backward in battery life. I never felt the 720p non-pentile screen was lacking in any way, low resolution / large text is a benefit when viewing contents that don't dpi scale properly!

For me, LG G3/G4/GFlex 2 are without any question downgrades. Battery life is significantly worse, screens are smaller, increased performance of CPU/GPU don't even cover the resolution increase. Just look at on-screen tests.

Really wish they make more 720p/1080p devices with latest processors, it looks like I am being pushed to iPhone 6s+ / 7+ down the road if nobody in the Android camp wises up. 2K screen is a downgrade not an upgrade in overall user experience!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone