G-Sensor calibration problem. Help.

Search This thread

keycoh

Jan 9, 2008
Hello everybody,

I noticed on my hero that applications using g-sensor have some problems:

Skymaps draws the horizon line sloping down from the left to the right.

Teeter game, when I put the phone on a surface (leveled of course) the balls goes to the left and slightly to the top of the screen (teeter is played in horizontal way).

I tried to calibrate the g-sensor but when I do this, the bubbles finish at the same position as at the begining of the calibration. It doesn't keep the calibration data even if I lean the phone consciusly to set the inclination as the leveled one.

Can you help me on this?
Have you noticed this behaviour on your game, skypmap and calibration tool?

pcBaktus

Dec 12, 2007
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my Hero, I have too look slightly down to get the horizon in the middle of the screen in Streetview. I too tried to calibrate the g-sensors, but with no luck. In teeter the ball end up in the top right corner when the phone is laying on the floor..

keycoh

Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for your reply. I'm asking the problem to htc customer service.
They have answered me to try to restore the factory values, I've already tried this but no luck.
I've reported it, so I am waiting their answer.

keycoh

Jan 9, 2008
Hi,

from HTC Customer Service has no notification about anyone who has reported the bad behavior of the G-sensors and the imposibility of saving calibration.

So, they told me to ask to the shop for a replacement.

I hope an update appears soon.

Switchbitch

Aug 2, 2009
I've noticed the very same thing. Skymap horizon sloping, 'bubbles' not centering when calibrating the G-sensor, pointing down to look straight in Street View.

They told you to send yours back? Interesting...

Thiesen

Aug 8, 2009
Hello everybody,

I noticed on my hero that applications using g-sensor have some problems:

Skymaps draws the horizon line sloping down from the left to the right.

Have you noticed this behaviour on your game, skypmap and calibration tool?

The Skymap thingie is very easily explained. The earth is actually tilting in angle relative to the sun so what you are seeaing is perfectly normal. We aren't any vikings anymore so we do not believe everything revolves around our earth... you gotta remember that what you are seeing is NOT the horizon... it's the universes "equator" you see...

trice1921

Sep 3, 2008
I have the same problem. I don't a replacement would solve this because i think it's a design fault.

freddykr

Aug 4, 2009
Stockholm
Same problem here, when calibrating it looks like it's going to be OK and then it kicks back to what it was before starting calib. Sounds like a SW fault....

jpalo

Mar 17, 2007
Porvoo
Yes, same here. Contacting support.

So, I hard-resetted the device and re-calibrated it according to HTC Support instructions, but the problem persists. Then I got a number where to call, and I did, and the friendly lady said that she hadn't never (personally) heard about this issue on HTC Hero. I kindly asked her to run a search on their tickets (but don't know the outcome of that).

She instructed me to go back to the shop and replace it with a new unit. I will do that, but I did mention her that there are other people with this same issue and I don't think that it is my unit that is faulty.

I'll let you know if the new unit has the same issue. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Last edited:

Switchbitch

Aug 2, 2009
The Skymap thingie is very easily explained. The earth is actually tilting in angle relative to the sun so what you are seeaing is perfectly normal. We aren't any vikings anymore so we do not believe everything revolves around our earth... you gotta remember that what you are seeing is NOT the horizon... it's the universes "equator" you see...

It is meant to be the horizon, which should be flat. You're thinking of the ecliptic plane which is tilted about 23 degrees relative to the earth's celestial equator; this is visible in the sky map app as 0 degrees on the gridlines that show altitude and azimuth on the celestial sphere.

The yellow line representing earth's horizon should be completely flat when the phone is held in portrait. It slopes on mine aswell.

Carabei

Sep 8, 2007
i also notices this calibration issue, i've tried sensordebug, so sensor is ok, also tried Bubble app, calibration works perfectly there. problem must be in permissions, but i don't know which file is responsible for storing accelerometer data.

Carabei

Sep 8, 2007
maybe, solution could be reflashing hero with its stock rom. or wait for rom update

EDIT: Do you have stock ROM or root and/or modified one ? This information could be useful

Last edited:

Carabei

Sep 8, 2007
Me too, i've found almost same problem with htc and accelerometer, with WM device, solution was software fix. also it happend only on some devices, not many of them, i don't know certain number of these problems with hero, but it could be normal fault when flashing ROM after device completion, like with Dream devices there was akmd_set.txt file responsible for accelerometer and compass settings data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm, that method mentioned below worked for my rooted HTC Hero with VillainROM 12.0 ROM onboard.

I suppose that you have to root your phone for this method to work. I'm not entirely sure, but I guess unrooted users don't have access to "/data/misc/AK8973Prms.txt" file.

I used the folowing method to get it worked:

1. Donwload Android Sensor Data from Android market
    2. Run it to get your pitch and roll values (mine on level surface were pitch: 6 and roll: -4)
    3. On your desk computer create text file with below content (for examlpe c:\AK8973Prms.txt)

Code:
    [AK8973]
    HDOE_STATUS=0
    HDOE_SUCTEMP=0
    HDAC.x=9
    HDAC.y=130
    HDAC.z=137
    HOFFSET.x=0
    HOFFSET.y=0
    HOFFSET.z=0
    ASENSE.x=256
    ASENSE.y=256
    ASENSE.z=256
    AOFFSET.x=16
    AOFFSET.y=-24
    AOFFSET.z=0

4. Connect to your phone with USB cable and enable USB debugging (Or try to enable HTC sync if u cant find this setting)
    5. Download android SDK and install it (h++p://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)
    6. Go to folder where you installed your SDK and navigate to "tools" subfolder
    7. Open command prompt on your desk computer inside tools subfolder
    8. Edit c:\AK8973Prms.txt and change
    Code:
    AOFFSET.x=16
    AOFFSET.y=-24
    AOFFSET.z=0
    Change one setting at the time!
    9. Copy c:\AK8973Prms.txt file to your Android phone with folowing command
    Code:
    adb push c:\AK8973Prms.txt /data/misc/AK8973Prms.txt
    10. Restart Android Sensor Data app on your phone (roll and pitch values will probably be different. If you r lucky they will be 0)
    11. Repeat steps from 8 to 10 till u get pitch = 0 and roll = 0. You don't need to reboot your phone between attempts!

Hope that helps.

FIX g-sensor !! :D
    1.Download it : www .multiupload.com/P6VZI3DD35
    2.Open Android Commander and:
    • go to /data/misc/ and copy "AK8973Prms.txt" from your phone to your PC (its backup)
    • next click "push" and select the downloaded file and click "ok"
    3.Reboot
    That`s all :)

OR If you dont have android commander

Open "cmd", run adb and copy "AK8973Prms.txt" from your phone to PC, next "push" downloaded "AK8973Prms.txt" to /data/misc/ and reboot

if the g-sensor will not run well,open "AK8973Prms.txt" and edit the last three values* to some other.

* AOFFSET.x=... ; AOFFSET.y=... ; AOFFSET.z=...