• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

g Tablet is a good buy or wait for Honeycomb branded Tablets?

Search This thread

rob_z11

Sep 20, 2010
I have driven 90 miles one way to pick one up for $279 earlier this week, and so far have been very happy with it.

Just started reading about the future of Tegra based Tablet, and it appears that there is the Honeycomb version of the Gingebread Google OS which is coming out early next year which can utilize this Tegra chips to its full potentials.

My questions to some here is that if Viewsonic will continue to develop the Tablet to support NextGen of the Google OS?

I dont' want to buy, and stuck with running single core Froyo(2.2).

Anyone has ideas or thoughts?

Fencesitter

Aug 23, 2010
As with all electronics: if you can, wait- things will always get better and cheaper.

Yeah, this is hackable, but frankly, the display sucks and that's not too easily fixed with new software. Also, we already see on the motherboard the ability for the manufacturer to add other things- more RAM, GPS and mini-PCIe at least. Do you want/need any of that? Then wait.

If you can't wait, well, you've got to buy something, but make sure whatever it is fits your needs. Also, don't count on upgrades. No, if you need it NOW, make sure it fits your current needs out of the box or at least know that the upgrades are available.

Don't count on the manufacturer or the community to do anything. Yeah, you can usually count on the community to do more than the manufacturer, but I'm sure it's that sense of entitlement that really annoys those kind souls doing things for the love of it.

If your needs are to hack around and experiment, then buy it. You've come to the right place.

rob_z11

Sep 20, 2010
As with all electronics: if you can, wait- things will always get better and cheaper.

Yeah, this is hackable, but frankly, the display sucks and that's not too easily fixed with new software. Also, we already see on the motherboard the ability for the manufacturer to add other things- more RAM, GPS and mini-PCIe at least. Do you want/need any of that? Then wait.

If you can't wait, well, you've got to buy something, but make sure whatever it is fits your needs. Also, don't count on upgrades. No, if you need it NOW, make sure it fits your current needs out of the box or at least know that the upgrades are available.

Don't count on the manufacturer or the community to do anything. Yeah, you can usually count on the community to do more than the manufacturer, but I'm sure it's that sense of entitlement that really annoys those kind souls doing things for the love of it.

If your needs are to hack around and experiment, then buy it. You've come to the right place.
It is not sense of entitlement, but absolute joy of using open source.

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
I can see Roebeet porting both Gingerbread and Honeycomb to this thing. There will be no bordome, that's for sure.

You forgot Rothnic, Gojimi, Bekit and everyone else who have contributed. This is definitely not a one man show.

I do the packaging, but that doesn't mean I am the only one here. Not by a long shot.

As for 2.3 and beyond, I think our best best will be our zPad friends, as well as Malata themselves. Once Malata manages to build out a 2.3 build, we'll be in good shape. I have zero faith in Viewsonic, but perhaps they'll surprise us.