G1 ROM build server

Search This thread

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
I want to keep the g1 alive, so here's something I'm offering to the community.

I have set up a server dedicated to g1/magic rom and kernel development. It is rather low spec and not the best machine for this, but it's better than nothing and will be upgraded as I get more money and if I get a reasonable amount of users.

if you want to use this, just send me a pm with the following info:
- desired username
- password you want
- project you want to work on

After I receive a pm, I'll set up your account and tell you what server and port to connect to via SSH. You can pull your files of via scp, sftp, and (once I set it up) http

Specs:
Operating system - debian Sid
Pentium 4 - 2.8 ghz, HyperThreading enabled
1gb ram, 6g swap (another gb of ram will be added later)

Hard drives are formatted with ext4 (keeping it simple this time..)
Drive 1 - 80gb (for now)

build stats (from the old box. should be similar. will update later):
Cm7:
Clean build: - 2-3 hours (haven't really timed)
Rebuild - 8-20 minutes, depending on how many changes

Cm9:
Clean build - start at night, check in the morning. a long time
rebuild - around 20 minutes

Last edited:

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
More info on how the build server will work:

For devs:

-anyone can use it, just send me a pm.
-it is dedicated to building g1 roms, but during downtime i am okay with people using it for other small projects.
-there will be no bandwidth or storage limits (besides the physical 300 + 230 gb limit of my harddrives) unless I'm forced to set them
-no guaranteed uptime. it'll probably be okay, but i like to experiment, so no promises.
-I'll announce here anything about downtime (and try to give an hour or two warning)
-I'm obsessed with security, but that shouldn't matter here (you don't have anything to hide, right?) through the use of simple unix permissions, your work will only be able to be accessed by you (and root obviously, but no one but me has root access)

for regular users with no interest in development:

once there are enough people using this, i will post a link here to a website where you can download users work. still figuring out how I want to implement this. I'm a nerd, i want it fancy and nerdy.

current users:

previous users:
me
dfang123 (idk his xda username.. should know it)
arnold (xda username? Idk..)
Cole2kb
Austrie

Last edited:

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
No one in the g1 section seems interested... but I got a user wanting to develop for the LG optimus v! So I guess there is interest in something like this.

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
well... someone decided it would be a good idea to randomly pull the power cord while the box is running. btrfs doesnt handle sudden reboots too well... well now the box has been wiped and reinstalled. you should re sync your repos and go back to normal life. (todays project= off-site backups [this was also my backup server..])

Last edited:

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
Well if anyone cares, completed a minor hardware update to the box today.

A few days ago I switched from ext4 to btrfs (yes, I know, I'm insane). Today I added a 230gb hdd to the btrfs pool.

Btrfs is currently set up to mirror metadata and stripe data (raid1 metadata, raid0 data). So now we have a "fast" "530gb" hard drive.

(For those of you who don't know, btrfs is a new filesystem with cool features like snapshots, checksumming, raid, subvolumes, compression... etcetera. Its great, but not considered "stable" yet [but the fedora distro is seriously considering making it default. And the Ubuntu installer makes use of all the cool features out of the box if you select it. Debian.. supports it]. I haven't had issues with it that weren't caused my my stupidity yet)

Also changed the hostname ("debian" is boring, it is now Athena)

Small note: my girlfriend told me I'm not allowed on my computers tomorrow. So.. I won't be making any changes, building anything, or rebooting the box. But if it goes down on its own, I won't be on to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Infinimint

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
Another random piece of info: I have 3 Pentium 4 computers all kept in the same spot (they are my only computers...). I compiled the Linux 3.3.4-ck1 kernel on all of them with the same config. This box is fastest.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
null
Small note: my girlfriend told me I'm not allowed on my computers tomorrow. So.. I won't be making any changes, building anything, or rebooting the box. But if it goes down on its own, I won't be on to fix it.

tell her she cant dress up or go shopping or w/e shes passionate about then! xD

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
tell her she cant dress up or go shopping or w/e shes passionate about then! xD

Well... I'd like to not piss her off. She kinda has a lot of say in some of the activities I really enjoy doing. One day of going to the park or something to keep her happy is definitely worth it

And I like her photography, not going to tell her to stop that

Last edited:

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
I just put a few missing parts in my other p4 box. Should I set it up as a second, separate server, or should I try to set up a cluster? (If I go cluster, that's 3 p4 cores between 2.8 and 3.2 ghz w/ ht and a total of 7.5gb ram [I'd use all 3 boxes I have])
Anyone have experience with clusters?

Also, I'm currently using a Linksys e2000 router. But there are no more open Ethernet ports... anyone know of a reliable wifi router with more than 4 LAN ports, wifi n, and supported by openwrt or tomato? Or should I just take the jump up to a switch an firewall with a wifi router behind it?

Last edited:

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com
I just put a few missing parts in my other p4 box. Should I set it up as a second, separate server, or should I try to set up a cluster? (If I go cluster, that's 3 p4 cores between 2.8 and 3.2 ghz w/ ht and a total of 7.5gb ram [I'd use all 3 boxes I have])
Anyone have experience with clusters?

A cluster would be pretty cool and would make for much faster build times, but I myself have never made a cluster nor do I have any experience with making them. However, it looks as if these could be of some help:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshelf/articles/how_to_build_a_cluster.html
http://byobu.info/wiki/Building_a_simple_Beowulf_Like_Cluster_with_Ubuntu
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html#using-a-local-mirror

Reactions: tvall

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
A cluster would be pretty cool and would make for much faster build times, but I myself have never made a cluster nor do I have any experience with making them. However, it looks as if these could be of some help:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshelf/articles/how_to_build_a_cluster.html
http://byobu.info/wiki/Building_a_simple_Beowulf_Like_Cluster_with_Ubuntu
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html#using-a-local-mirror

started working on this today :)
i can run a helloworld on all 3 boxes i have and get a response from all three. can also run hostname on all 3 and get each hostname back. now i just have to set it up to build android!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I want to keep the g1 alive, so here's something I'm offering to the community.

I have set up a server dedicated to g1/magic rom and kernel development. It is rather low spec and not the best machine for this, but it's better than nothing and will be upgraded as I get more money and if I get a reasonable amount of users.

if you want to use this, just send me a pm with the following info:
    - desired username
    - password you want
    - project you want to work on

After I receive a pm, I'll set up your account and tell you what server and port to connect to via SSH. You can pull your files of via scp, sftp, and (once I set it up) http

Specs:
    Operating system - debian Sid
    Pentium 4 - 2.8 ghz, HyperThreading enabled
    1gb ram, 6g swap (another gb of ram will be added later)

Hard drives are formatted with ext4 (keeping it simple this time..)
    Drive 1 - 80gb (for now)

build stats (from the old box. should be similar. will update later):
    Cm7:
    Clean build: - 2-3 hours (haven't really timed)
    Rebuild - 8-20 minutes, depending on how many changes

Cm9:
    Clean build - start at night, check in the morning. a long time
    rebuild - around 20 minutes
    More info on how the build server will work:

For devs:

-anyone can use it, just send me a pm.
    -it is dedicated to building g1 roms, but during downtime i am okay with people using it for other small projects.
    -there will be no bandwidth or storage limits (besides the physical 300 + 230 gb limit of my harddrives) unless I'm forced to set them
    -no guaranteed uptime. it'll probably be okay, but i like to experiment, so no promises.
    -I'll announce here anything about downtime (and try to give an hour or two warning)
    -I'm obsessed with security, but that shouldn't matter here (you don't have anything to hide, right?) through the use of simple unix permissions, your work will only be able to be accessed by you (and root obviously, but no one but me has root access)

for regular users with no interest in development:

once there are enough people using this, i will post a link here to a website where you can download users work. still figuring out how I want to implement this. I'm a nerd, i want it fancy and nerdy.

current users:

previous users:
    me
    dfang123 (idk his xda username.. should know it)
    arnold (xda username? Idk..)
    Cole2kb
    Austrie
    Frankdrey got access to someone else's awesome server. So I guess this one is going dormant again until someone else asks me to revive it.

Maybe I'll move the minecraft server over to that box....
    Server is gone until further notice. Just moved, need a job, no home internet line. Sorry
    building ics for the g1 on the box right now. it boots! currently trying to fix touchscreen. thought people might want to know :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone