Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
I don't take credit for all these.

How to Increase Battery Life
  • Turn off GPS
  • Lower screen brightness
  • Turn off Wi-fi when you are not around any wifi networks
    If you are not in a 3g area do the following to save battery life!
  • Settings--->Wireless Controls--->Mobile Networks and check the box that says "Use Only 2G Networks"
    General
  • Holding down the home key will bring up your programs running in the background.
  • Adjusting the volume will adjust volume all the way to muting sound.
  • Clicking down the End key will place your phone in sleep mode.
  • Holding down the End key while bring up the "reset" feature.
  • Turning off the GPS saves battery life to do so go to Menu, Settings, Security and Location.
  • To rename a folder on the homescreen click and hold the dock at the top of the folders name. *AnyCut is needed*
  • Long press the phone key for voice dial.
  • Press the menu button once to bring up the menu, then press and hold the menu button down to view the shortcut.
  • To make ringtones, alerts, and notifications make a folder inside your memory card each one containing there own name such as "ringtones" "alarms" "notifications"
  • To forward picture and text messages: Press and hold the message.
  • When Typing, If you want to delete a word at the time press menu and delete and will erase a word at the time instead of one character at the time...
  • Pressing alt+del it deletes everything
Reboot
  • Press the Green Call Button + Menu + Off (Red) Key

Hard Reset
(THIS WILL REMOVE ALL APPS BUT NOT YOUR PICS AND MUSIC!!)
  • Turn the G1 off. If it’s frozen on, take the battery out and put it back in the unit.
  • Hold the Home and Power keys down at same time for about 25 seconds. You will see a yellow triangle screen with exclamation point in the middle.
    Now to wipe the device clean:
  • Press Alt+L.
  • Press Alt+W for a factory reset.
  • Press the Home and Back keys again for about 25 seconds. Let go of the keys.

The device should then reset again and the hard reset is complete.
This will wipe your device to factory reset. You will need to log in to your gmail account like you initially did.

Browser
  • To Copy All, press Menu and A or Highlight text, press and hold TRACKBALL, select Select all
  • To Cut, press Menu and X.
  • To Copy, press Menu and C.
  • To Paste, press Menu and V or Press and hold TRACKBALL, select Paste
    Saving pictures from the web:
  • Press and hold the image for 3 seconds, a selection will pop-up either to save image or view image. It may contain more selections if the image contains a link.
Faster scrolling in the browser:
  • Hold down ALT key and roll trackball for fast scrolling.
  • Press space bar for a fast scroll down.
  • Shift+Space goes up
Browser General
  • Long press trackball on image to bring up "save image/view image"
  • Long press trackball over url to bring up "open/open in new window/bookmark link/save link/share link/copy link url"
  • Press menu to bring up browser menu (go to url/search/bookmarks/...etc); long-press menu to temporarily flash the shortcuts.
  • To activate the magnify glass on the browser click the trackball twice.
    Clear your Cache!

If you’ve been using streetview or the browser alot, the cache can quickly get big. I’ve only had the phone for two days and got 20MB back by clearing the cache on these two.
  • Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Browser > Clear Data
  • Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Streetview > Clear Data

Last edited:

scottslc

Mar 17, 2006
salt lake city
getting rid of icons on your home screen

Here's a cool one I just learned. Hold and press the icon you want to get rid of. you'll feel a short vibrate. after the vibration you can move the icon around or delete it by dragging it to the little gray trashcan that appears at the bottom of the page. This won't delete the program, just the icon.

Bradley1865

Nov 29, 2007
Great tips! Where do you get this information? I would like to
access even more information.
Also, how do you shut down particular programs running in the
background? Thanks.

jimtc

Apr 29, 2006
folders on home and menu????

I see mention of renaming folders but I can't even figure out how to make a folder. Anyone know how?

Ghost_1

Oct 8, 2007
I see mention of renaming folders but I can't even figure out how to make a folder. Anyone know how?

The easiest way is to:
1. On home screen press and hold
2. when the menu pops up select "shortcur"
3. select the first option "folder"
4. done. :D

To rename the folder (only cause I didn't understand the first post):

1. open the folder
2. press and hold the top bar of the open folder, otherwise known as the 'dock'
3. type in name and change it.
4. Done. :D

mr_skot

Mar 23, 2006
Minneapolis
the ringtone tip doesnt work

or what format do they have to be in?

ive only tried MP3

Create a folder on your memory card names 'ringtones' and place your .mp3's in there.

First, unplug your phone from the USB port, then edit a contact. You should see your new ringtones in the list.

nixxofugi

Aug 2, 2006
music?

When doing the ringtones memory card trick, will the ringtones stay out of the music list? For example
, in the music player app... I am hoping that ringtones will stay out of the music app. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that is awesome, and super hilarious!! I am not quite sure how to fix it, but it seems the original owner had changed the 'bootanimation'. Perhaps try searching the forums for how to change that to the original..
    Need 10 post's to be able to post on the dev. forums,
    sorry for spamming the world.

Love, Cody:(

You could just join in the conversation. So it won't be considered spamming. :D
    My tip is for temporary S-Off on 2708+ radios. Since the 1.33.0013d is S-On sometimes you'll have to switch radio and get an engineering SPL. I have a 2.22.28.25 radio on my Dream. Instead of getting an old radio and then an SPL I just flash the engineering 1.33.2005 SPL and be done with it. The ROM won't boot since it's not designed for that combo but fastboot and recovery work fine, which are the only things I'll be using that SPL for anyway. Then when I'm done I pop the 1.33.0013d SPL back on and start my ROM. This is handy when I'm changing the boot image and I don't feel like matching radios and SPLs.

I'm not sure if this would work with custom MTD but I think it would be fine since you're not booting the ROM until after all the SPL work is done and restored.
    My tip is for temporary S-Off on 2708+ radios. Since the 1.33.0013d is S-On sometimes you'll have to switch radio and get an engineering SPL. I have a 2.22.28.25 radio on my Dream. Instead of getting an old radio and then an SPL I just flash the engineering 1.33.2005 SPL and be done with it. The ROM won't boot since it's not designed for that combo but fastboot and recovery work fine, which are the only things I'll be using that SPL for anyway. Then when I'm done I pop the 1.33.0013d SPL back on and start my ROM. This is handy when I'm changing the boot image and I don't feel like matching radios and SPLs.

I'm not sure if this would work with custom MTD but I think it would be fine since you're not booting the ROM until after all the SPL work is done and restored.

You should *not* flash SPL / radio having CustomMTD applied. There is no guarantee that it will work, because of the modified mtd partition layout.

Your tip flashing the 1.33.2005 SPL using recovery might work, but a more secure way is doing a nandroid/bart and flashing the orange-xxx.nbh afterwards (using fastboot (!)) as described by Terry in his thread. After flashing reboot into bootloader and you have a full engineering SPL running. After you have finished, you can flash again the 2.22.28.25 radio and the 1.33.0013d SPL, again using fastboot and with a minimum risk to brick you phone ...
    Should run, but you need to flash a different kernel (a 2708+ compatible one) on top of it, otherwise you will get bootloops ...

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone