G1 Webcam

Search This thread

medjai

Nov 18, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to turn the g1 camera into an actual webcam connected to your computer with a USB. I've tried the method of pulling images and streamlining them through ADB, framerate is terrible and just not fast enough. If anyone has any better methods or way of doing this lets get cracking and release something asap :)

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to turn the g1 camera into an actual webcam connected to your computer with a USB. I've tried the method of pulling images and streamlining them through ADB, framerate is terrible and just not fast enough. If anyone has any better methods or way of doing this lets get cracking and release something asap :)

try qik in the market see if that suites ur need

eleminop

Mar 15, 2009
qik works great for that unless you want to stream to a site other than qik.
to clarify yes i get that he wants to use it as a regular webcam for something like stickam...etc, nothing out there to do that yet though.

Last edited:

medjai

Nov 18, 2008
exactly. I want to actually use it like you would a normal webcam. I dont want to stream to a server. I would rather have it stream to my computer and have applications handle displaying it. We would probably need to create a custom driver for that, but that shouldn't be too difficult if we can first find out a way to send more frames per second then I have a friend that can handle the driver issue.

tekkitan

May 28, 2009
Cleveland
i did read the post, there just isn't an app to do that, do you have any suggestions or are you just going to be a smartass all day?

Instead of suggesting an app that isn't doing what he asked for, why not say there is no app for that yet?

I can be a smartass all I want, can you be intelligible?

OFinch

Jul 11, 2009
there is a thread asking people for app ideas on xda. I'm sure if you post something there they'll be able to help you a little more

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
Using screencast does work, but it still has an issue with low frames.

For this you need either Droidexplorer (which is what i am using) or Screencast, and the SDK setup.

Open screencast, turn phone camera on, screencast has a record feature.

lalalala1

Mar 6, 2009
i didnt use recording, it was streamed live, i cant remember on how to do it, i will have a look at my computer when i get home! and yes the frame rate is pretty poor but when i use the webcam i hardly move so its alright

lalalala1

Mar 6, 2009
ok so how to do it first of all let me tell you that you have to have the phone showing on the desktop because screencast shows your phone on your desktop and screencamera shows your desktop as a webcam so if you cant see it, screencamera cant see it!

1. you need to get screencast showing what is on your phone;
get it via:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=558108
or http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=557717

2. download and install screencamera:
http://www.pcwinsoft.com/ScreenCamera/download.asp

3. open screencast and put your phone on the camera application (you can still use the phone don't have to struggle doing it on the computer)

4. open screencamera

go into configuration and change the frame rate to what is appropriate to screencast, i think at the moment its 4fps

go to video output an change the frame size to what you like, i have it at 320 x 420 and have the phone set horizonally on screencast (by right clicking on screencast)

(make sure you have screencast where you want it as you will have to do this step again if you want to move it and make sure you can see it) click on "select region of desktop to capture" and highlight the screen of the camera

done, skype will now see it as that selected area of the desktop as a webcam i cannot confirm if any other application will see it but they should

kevns

Jun 10, 2009
wish somebody would make an app for this it would be so much more easyer

i dont like qik cause u have to go to there web site i want to be able to connect my g1 though aim or yahoo web cam

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone