G2 has gorilla glass!

Search This thread

shady503403

Jul 23, 2009
yes.. yes it does. took the screen cover off my phone. for a few weeks now. so scratched. although my sisters mt4g has one scratch on it.. but who knows what its from.

and another friend has a mt3g and has no scratches.. its what gave me the confidence to take my screen protector off.

MacaronyMax

Aug 27, 2008
Oxford
Haven't even been to the beach with my phone but it has been scratched by sand... Like 1 grain... Just a warning, Leave it away from Sand :p

I don't have Gorrila

shady503403

Jul 23, 2009
Everyphone has it. But I'm sure some grains of minerals found in sand can scratch the screen.. maybe he found a really small diamond and that one grain scratched his screen. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire Z/G2 using XDA App

itsnoahyo

Dec 14, 2010
Jacksonville
the gorilla glass they use for sunrooms and stuff can be hit with a hammer and not break. my sisters boyfriend threw his g2 and shattered his screen and my sister dropped hers and now theres a crack going across the screen about 2/3 of the way down. i never got around to buying any screen protectors for mine but there are only one or two very minor scratches on the screen itself. i was hoping gorilla glass would mean the screen would be a lot harder to break, but apparently thats not the case.

androidfeen809

Oct 12, 2010
New York
the gorilla glass they use for sunrooms and stuff can be hit with a hammer and not break. my sisters boyfriend threw his g2 and shattered his screen and my sister dropped hers and now theres a crack going across the screen about 2/3 of the way down. i never got around to buying any screen protectors for mine but there are only one or two very minor scratches on the screen itself. i was hoping gorilla glass would mean the screen would be a lot harder to break, but apparently thats not the case.

Lmao, wow I though it would be stronger, but I didn't know yu could hit gorilla glass with a hammer and not break it

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Everyphone has it. But I'm sure some grains of minerals found in sand can scratch the screen.. maybe he found a really small diamond and that one grain scratched his screen. :)

How do you know every phone (I assume you mean "every G2") has Gorilla Glass? Just because Corning lists the G2 on their website as having GG does not guarantee that every G2 has it. HTC is free to switch materials whenever they want. In fact, they probably reserve the right to change whatever specs of the phone they want, without notice (if they even listed GG in the specs, which they do not). But you are probably right in that many high-end smartphones are using GG these days, so HTC is pretty likely to stick with it for all the G2's.

If you read the older Gorilla Glass thread I posted above, you will see there are other users that scratched the screen with normal use. GG is advertised as being "highly damage resistant", and its harder to scratch than "conventional" glass, but you can still scratch it.

Reactions: astriaos

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

I believe that GG was originally developed for helicopter windshields. But the thickness of those and the other uses (like you mentioned) are probably a lot thicker than the type used for smartphones. The GG surface treatment greatly increases the toughness of the glass, but its thickness will still be a factor. There were reports of iPhone 4 GG breaking the first week the phone was released, just from being dropped. While GG is pretty impressive, you can't take for granted its not going to break.

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah that's true. I've been pretty lucky so far with phone screens so far. And I probably shouldn't have said/typed that.

I think your post is a good one to have on here. Its good to know that some people have scratched or cracked the screen under fairly normal usage (well, maybe not the sisters BF throwing it!). Some people seem to think Gorilla Glass is indestructible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/#featured-products

Here it is, corning gorilla glass has the G2 as a device listed with gorilla glass, I though it didn't have gorilla glass but it says on the website that it does!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

How do you know every phone (I assume you mean "every G2") has Gorilla Glass? Just because Corning lists the G2 on their website as having GG does not guarantee that every G2 has it. HTC is free to switch materials whenever they want. In fact, they probably reserve the right to change whatever specs of the phone they want, without notice (if they even listed GG in the specs, which they do not). But you are probably right in that many high-end smartphones are using GG these days, so HTC is pretty likely to stick with it for all the G2's.

If you read the older Gorilla Glass thread I posted above, you will see there are other users that scratched the screen with normal use. GG is advertised as being "highly damage resistant", and its harder to scratch than "conventional" glass, but you can still scratch it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone