G2 - Is it still a good option?

Search This thread

Okiba

Feb 16, 2015
Hi,

I'm think about getting the LG2 D802. I know it's getting older - but I was looking for the following things, and after some research G2 seems like a good condidate:

- I'm not looking for something super new and expensive. As I use the phone for calls, reading eBooks while on the bus and sometimes playing a casual game. I like the screen-size.
- My previous device was HTC One X which had excellent screen with great colors. This is somehow spoiled me, and when screen quality is poor - I can see it easily
- Comes good out of the box - I used to play around with Android devices - Root them, Install custom ROM. But I don't have too much time for this those days. I heard the G2 have a decent stock rom without too much vendor junk on it.

My other option was G3, but at least from older posts, the G3 seems to have battery issues and getting warmer more often. I saw some benchmark showing the G2 being faster on menu navigation. Is is still true for those days? or the G3 problem has been fixed and I should go with it instead?

Also - I saw a friend phone with 4.2.2 and it works pretty good. I heard the 5.0 updates has some memory leaks and other issues alike? the 5.1 fixes those?
Thanks!

Last edited:

hugodefcon

Jan 5, 2013
The phone is prettt great. But from personal experience i would not go back because of screen problems. I had a dead zone and ghosts touches. And from what i know it cannot be fixed.
Its is amaizing fast amaizing camera and still fast.
But beware of that screen problem that some people deal with including me.
The nexus 6 is a great option its going to be my next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: niklas389

hugodefcon

Jan 5, 2013
I had it for six months.
Like i said it is an amaizing phone. But it has that one flaw. I had it on d80020y. Then updated to d80030f. But this seems to affect all models regardless of firmwire.
It doesnt matter if you never rom or root.
Research a little bit and you will see what i am talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

shynepoe

Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

I have my second G2 after I broke my first one. I liked it so much, I got a new (used) one. I don't regret it! Especially when I consider the stuff what you can do with it, custom tom, this, that... I I were you I'd buy the G2 and tweak it a little bit...

Never had any screen problems! Neither with the old phone not with this one...

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Best advice:

Go back and read our older posts from 2 years ago when the phone was new.

Now read some of the current posts from the people who still have the device such as myself.

Long story short, there's a reason why alot of us early adopters held onto our G2s without a need to upgrade.

Its that good

HzMeister

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
new or used?

If new, there are so many other better phones to be had. I would much rather get a 2014 moto x, a nexus 5x, a oneplus x, or a used iphone 6. While the g2 was/is a fantastic phone, it does have it's shortcomings - plastic and mediocre feeling build quality(compared to the moto x, oneplus x, and iphone 6), glossy back, non-conventional button placement, camera has poor dynamic range, no marshmallow update...

If used, the g2 can be a fantastic deal if you can get it cheap enough. The only thing to keep in mind is that the battery seems to only be good for 1.5-2 years max. Also, buying a 2+ year old used phone is inherently risky and it may or many not be 100%. I bought one in seemingly mint condition for $100 not too long ago and the battery had only 50% capacity. Also, the plastic back cover is creaky which is kind of annoying - this is a common complaint.

If you don't have a super tight budget go with one of the aforementioned newer, more premium phones. You will be MUCH happier.

Last edited:

davjan

Jun 2, 2008
willebroek
Still a good device, i owned one when right after release , after few months went for a Nexus 5
Who died in water
Now got myself a lg g2 again
But this time a second hands korean f320l
With spare battery and sd slot
Flashed cloudyg2 3.3 on it
And runs superb

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-F320L met Tapatalk

Reactions: jopxda

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
Still a good deal, phone is smooth as hell, the display is beautiful, the sizes are perfect (it has almost the same sizes as my 4.7" Nexus 4), if you can get a cheap one then go for it. Never had screen issues and I've been flashing things (that's when it gets really hot and screen problems can come out).

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

kolembo

Nov 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm think about getting the LG2 D802. I know it's getting older - but I was looking for the following things, and after some research G2 seems like a good condidate:

If you're buying it new and at a good price, you're getting a very special phone.

I just ordered two new batteries and some new casing - I'm going to keep this phone forever. It's already two years old.

No phone I've had has been better.

One thing. Don't get the 16gb. It's just too small now, your won't last a year more. It has to be the 32gb.

And don't bother with the G3, the battery will kill you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiguy99

GeodudeFFP

May 14, 2014
Fantastic phone. I have the D801 (T-Mobile) version, and it has been problem - free from the start. Also have a Moto Maxx and a One M9, but if I could only keep one phone, I would actually choose the G2. It does everything well, and I haven't yet found a shortcoming.

Reactions: kolembo and tiguy99
Oct 27, 2015
Buy it!

I got my G2 D802 for £110 (brand new) on eBay (search it) . And God, it was was worth every penny. I think that unless you want a 64bit (slower) new processorprocessor, there is no reason to buy the newer budget phones like the Motorola Motor G, which are rather cheap quality with lower res screens, fatter bodies and not as good battery life.
Buy the G2, it's perfect in every way except for lack of SD card which is only a problem to some people. Also, you want to check out my review on my blog, interestconcentrated.blogspot.com/2015/09/week-2-with-g2.html. I bought less than two months, so it's very relevant. Hope it helps! ☺
Also, you might wanna check out the G3 on Ebay, it's available for £155

Last edited:
Reactions: kolembo and tiguy99

Turbine1991

Nov 19, 2014
The default firmware sucks as it's poorly designed/ugly/slower than a custom rom like AICP. Really happy with the phone, my s3 sucks in comparison and the buttons are well placed on the g2. Only pitfall is battery life on a non-stock rom, marshmallow may fix that

Envy-X

Feb 15, 2013
Ive had the phone for about 16 months. Working perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with the phone. D802 also.

Pros -
Great screen
Great battery on Jellybean and Kitkat
Lg doesnt have too much bloatware
Sound output is best
Perfect size
Can run pretty much every game without lag

Cons -
Battery life is reduced on lollipop 5.0.2. We don't have a 5.1.
Camera is decent, nothing special.

If you do get the phone, i recommend flashing Cloudyg2 2.2. Not 3.3 which is lollipop. Just leave it at that.

Reactions: tiguy99

Okiba

Feb 16, 2015
Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'll be grabbing the G2. I might root it later on, but for now - it seems like a better idea is to stay on 4.2 and avoid upgrading to 5?

Thanks!

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'll be grabbing the G2. I might root it later on, but for now - it seems like a better idea is to stay on 4.2 and avoid upgrading to 5?

Thanks!

Keep your eyes on the forums as well.
Last week I saw an update for my G2 while I was in the process of repairing my screen.

I didn't download it but my guess is its 5.1.1 for Tmobile.
I've heard 5.1.1 fixed alot of Lollipop issues for Android in general.

If and when D802 gets this version I'd recommend you investigate and see if it may be a good stock ROM to use.

Also if you ever need to replace the battery in the future, don't fret. Its very easy process and takes 15-20 minutes

The upside is amazing battery life again just like brand new

Reactions: kolembo

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London

Thanks!

Yes, stay on 4.4.2 20H firmware if you want to run stock. Disable all the bloat, use a different launcher and your good to go. :victory:

Just remember that all the Nexus 5.0.X firmware still had the memory leek. LG may have sorted it for there 5.0.2 but I wouldn't put money on it. :eek:

Woox1994

Jul 21, 2012
Porto
Hi, i think Lg G2 is still worth it, i bougth mine 4 months ago, and i am really happy with it.
It is fast, has Lte, a nice camera, despite it is a medium-bad camera at low light places.
I spent 250 euros on a promo. It was a nice deal i think :p
After i bougth it i flashed CM 12.1 eheh

I hope i could help!

Best regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I manage and support smartphones for my employer, which consists of iPhones. I carry an iPhone 6S Plus. A few days ago I pulled an LG G2 D800 out of my desk, got a SIM adapter and popped my SIM into it. Can't say how impressed I am with a two year old phone. Fast, lag free and runs whatever I throw at it. This weekend I rooted the D800, flashed TWRP, and first flashed CM13 and found it OK, but just OK (to be fair, it is still in nightlys). Settled in on CloudyG2 3.3 with DorimanX kernel and watched that sucker fly! Is the G2 still relevant, absolutely! Great phone still hitting its stride. I knew this the first time I logged on to XDA and saw how active the forums still are for this phone.

By the way, the iPhone is still laying on the table. :)
    Best advice:

Go back and read our older posts from 2 years ago when the phone was new.

Now read some of the current posts from the people who still have the device such as myself.

Long story short, there's a reason why alot of us early adopters held onto our G2s without a need to upgrade.

Its that good
    I've had my LG G2 for more than a year and a half, and if I lost it or whatever, I would buy a new one, even though LG has brought out newer models since, I would still get the G2. That's how satisfied I am with it. Zero problems, and great support from LG (in the form of Android upgrades). Rumour has it, Android 6 is also scheduled for release on the G2.
    Bought my first d802 1.5 years ago, immersed it in water after 6 months, it partly survived (screen becomes dark from time to time). Until I figured out I could use it I bought a second one which I know have.
    The first one has become the video+games console for my 2 year old son with all the abuse this implies including smashing, spitting, hitting, steping on it, hiding in the refrigerator and much more but it still works just fine (apart from the temporary screen problem I mentioned)
    Now that I am thinking about it, we could establish a special medallion for endurance in extreme conditions (mine deserves it, what do you think hehe?)
    Buy it!

I got my G2 D802 for £110 (brand new) on eBay (search it) . And God, it was was worth every penny. I think that unless you want a 64bit (slower) new processorprocessor, there is no reason to buy the newer budget phones like the Motorola Motor G, which are rather cheap quality with lower res screens, fatter bodies and not as good battery life.
    Buy the G2, it's perfect in every way except for lack of SD card which is only a problem to some people. Also, you want to check out my review on my blog, interestconcentrated.blogspot.com/2015/09/week-2-with-g2.html. I bought less than two months, so it's very relevant. Hope it helps! ☺
    Also, you might wanna check out the G3 on Ebay, it's available for £155
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone