• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

G4 Lagging problems

Search This thread

*justintime*

Dec 20, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I was wondering if other users can confirm.

The G4 is lagging when you wake it up and pressing the home button, when you are still in Facebook for instance
Also when screen is on and you are switching between large apps. it's lagging.

When you clear the apps....its much more snappier then. the difference is night and day.

Last edited:

shigga

Apr 9, 2009
Mine lags all the time. It's pretty disappointing. I also have a nexus 6, so much smoother then this phone. Also absolutely hate the lock screen. Can't wait till we get root and can run different Roms.

shigga

Apr 9, 2009
The nexus has an 805. Figure the 808 should run better. Maybe just the LG skin making it lag. My daughters G3 has an 805 also rooted custom ROM. Doesn't lag as much as this phone.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Also notice touch sensitivity isn't so great. Its constantly missing taps here and there. Very annoying.

fordstang99

Jan 17, 2010
I have a nexus 6...almost every phone lags out of the box....but soon enough a very talented Dev will get one and it we be gone....that's what you get when your an early adopter

nivlac978

May 26, 2010
Hudson
The nexus has an 805. Figure the 808 should run better. Maybe just the LG skin making it lag. My daughters G3 has an 805 also rooted custom ROM. Doesn't lag as much as this phone.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Also notice touch sensitivity isn't so great. Its constantly missing taps here and there. Very annoying.

Mine misses taps every so often. I'm a little annoyed but I'm just gonna chalk it up to release software. I assume an update will come that will fix it. And once we have root and ROMs I'm sure I'll forget all about it. It's rough coming from a nexus 4 with a custom ROM that ran more perfectly than this one.

Derpling

May 10, 2015
LG Tech Support informed me that there gonna be update that will kill all the lollipop issues, as well as fix some camera issues.

*justintime*

Dec 20, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Mine misses taps every so often. I'm a little annoyed but I'm just gonna chalk it up to release software. I assume an update will come that will fix it. And once we have root and ROMs I'm sure I'll forget all about it. It's rough coming from a nexus 4 with a custom ROM that ran more perfectly than this one.
Yes also missing tabs on screen...

Camera issues? What is that? OIS?

I removed the sd card (because it is a Chinese Samsung card, think a clone) and it looks it's a bit better now... Still early concussion though.

randpost

Dec 5, 2011
Phoenix
I don't get any stuttering or lag, but I use nova launcher. I only spent a few minutes with stock launcher. Stock launcher is slow and ugly.

Sent from my LG-H811

WheresTrent

Jul 17, 2012
I've noticed some "missed taps" while playing Pinball Arcade. Balls just roll down the left flipper because it didn't pick up a tap. Interesting that some of you are having this problem too. Do you think this is serious enough to return it? I know the knock code has its own quirks, sometimes it works and sometimes you're a hair too slow.

I have also noticed the lag when going to the home screen from Facebook. Not a major issue, but a little disappointing.

jaron7_11

Feb 20, 2009
Fort Lauderdale
I haven't really experienced any lag but I have experienced web pages taking forever to render and also like when I open speed test app it takes forever to find a server on my Home wifi.. Anyone notice this

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

The 805 has a more powerful GPU than the 808. The fact the 808 is a "higher number" than "805" doesn't really mean much, even in Antutu the 805 scores higher than the 808.. That's why there is lag or framerate issues in games on the G4. Very strange decision by LG to go with the 808.

shigga

Apr 9, 2009
The 805 has a more powerful GPU than the 808. The fact the 808 is a "higher number" than "805" doesn't really mean much, even in Antutu the 805 scores higher than the 808.. That's why there is lag or framerate issues in games on the G4. Very strange decision by LG to go with the 808.

Hoping some new software will smooth things out. Hate to say it but even my nexus 7 2013 has smoother performance navigating ui. I don't play games so I have no idea what it does in that area.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hoping some new software will smooth things out. Hate to say it but even my nexus 7 2013 has smoother performance navigating ui. I don't play games so I have no idea what it does in that area.
The G3 had terrible performance but it was generally underpowered for the QHD display. Here's hoping it is software optimization but you have to look at the 808 also.

aygul12345

Jan 14, 2011
I thought there is no any kind of lagg in the G4... And where does it exactly occurs?

Verzonden vanaf mijn HTC Desire met Tapatalk

Nelthalin

Mar 30, 2010

I guess they wanted the 64Bit checkmark.
I dont see any other reason. Same goes for HTC.

I dont know why Qualcomm tought it was a good idea to release the 808 and the 810 when they compare it to there older 805. That was a really good chip. Its not 64 Bit but performance is on par with the 808 and 810 because they have thermal issues.

The 808 is not bad. Its fast enough. But if there was a option i would take the 805 in a heartbeart. Hell i would even pick the 801 over the 808 or 810.

Lets hope the 820 with the new architecture will be a lot better. (but that should not be to hard)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here is a short video of the stuff that is 100% reproducible on my phone:
    https://youtu.be/QsWtrd1f7VQ
    So I like many of you have switched from a variety of other devices. Some I have owned in the past: Nexus 5, Moto X 2014, HTC M8. I still have my M8 as I just switched today but will probably be keeping it around as a backup phone. The other ones I have gotten rid of. Here are some initial observations:

The G4 is not as fluid or as snappy as my M8. I have flashed both GPE and Sense ROMs on my M8, and it isn't as fast, and does drop a few frames here and there. I have minorly noticed that the G4 *does* in fact miss some taps from time to time, but I haven't experienced what others have on this forum in terms of the unresponsiveness. It has definitely been acceptable for me.

BUT.. what most of you are *not* taking into account... The M8 on pure stock sense rom was laggy too. It was only after I switched to a custom rom / kernel when it smoothed out. GPE on the M8 had bugs for me all the way through 5.1.1, and also the battery was much worse on GPE than on the Sense ROMs I had tried. *Also* the screen on the G4 vs M8 .. the G4 is pushing way more pixels so it's expected to be a bit slower in terms of animations, you have to set that expectation if you are using QHD these days.

A lot of you are touting the N6.. However in using my buddy's: The N6 is too big, too unwieldy, the battery isn't as good as the G4 from what I have experienced, no notification light, and the camera sucks.

The M8 was and still will be an awesome phone, however the camera and extra bulk for a 5" phone always bothered me. Battery was good, but still no wireless charging or swappable battery. I can't argue with you in terms of fluidity.

Not saying the G4 is the perfect phone for everyone. In fact who knows maybe after a week or two if I don't like it I will return it. However for the time being I believe the G4 makes the least amount of concessions for the most amount of functionality. The screen is phenomenal, camera is second to none. SD card and swappable battery are a huge plus. Normal battery life that I have experienced is on par if not better than my M8. It packs a 5.5" screen size in the same height as the M8. The leather back feels great and not slippery. Tell me of another phone that has all this? We are all on this forum for a reason folks, it's because we believe the G4 to have the features that we need as power android users. You will find no perfect phone out there, I guarantee it, there will always be some type of compromise and you just have to make sure you are willing to cope with them. If you don't think the compromises are for you then find a different phone, that's the beauty of android that we all love.
    just got back from verizon and i got my Nexus 6. its not even funny how much faster this phone is than the G4. the phone just blazes through opening apps. transitions, scrolling. no touch screen issues. after just using the nexus for a few hours. i can say that the g4 performance is like that of a 1 or 2 year old phone. apps take a second or two to load. going into the multitask window and swiping a app away does not even have the swipe animation on the G4 because its so slow and or laggy. on the nexus its smooth and you see the animations. its night and day.

I'm in awe that the G4 in its current state went though QA. the phone in no way acts like a flagship phone (other than the camera performance) now i know why i always tend to stick with stock android (AOSP) phones when going with android. never again will i try a skinned android phone, other than maybe the moto phones being that they're are basically stock AOSP) i just got done unlocking bootloader and rooting, just installed liquidsmooth rom on the nexus and its even smoother and faster.

I understand that i may have had just a dud phone and the screen was just acting up on mine but say i didnt have the touch issues that i had, the phone still is much slower than the nexus (while running stock everything before custom rom)
    My lag on my G4 is very minimal and completely doable. I'm a nexus fanatic and still have my N5 and N6. No the G4 is not as fluid, as a complete package, as the N5 and 6. The N5 is actually quite a bit smoother than the N6 if you're nit picking. But unless you're a android nerd (I am one of the biggest BTW) it really won't matter. Lag is subjective.

The ui on the G4 is not bad at all. Much better than touch wiz imo. I'll be the first person to load up a stock vanilla ROM when they're ready, but in the mean time I'm really enjoying the G4 in its stock form (albeit all bloat disabled that I could).
    Well on my 1st G4 I do remeber turning odd dual mode the first day. On my 2nd G4 just now I barily turned it off. I do also have a glass screen protector now on #2. Didn't have on one on #1.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

On and just turned off all smart notices like I had on my snappy #1 G4. We might be on to something here.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Yes I have Smart noticed turned off also. I've had this stuff turned off for the list 5 hours and I haven't had a problem now. My notification bar pulls down everytime. Better touches on the homescreen. Swiftkey isn't giving my any problems either. I think we have a winner.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk