G4 Root (Testing)

Search This thread

madhouze

Apr 21, 2007
i could not get through download mode ,,, not sure what happened i tried factory reset it keep booting to download mode any help will be appreciated

What did you do that caused this?
Did you perform any of what was suggested in this forum, and if so, which?

Which G4 are you on?

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

I am able to do this on my g3 even though the permissions are the same as on the g4

Then there must be something else in play...

pilo99

Jul 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
it happened when i was backing up whatsapp on my pc and getting my g3 on stock through lg flash tool ....when the g3 got ready i unplugged the g3 and connect the g4 to get the whatsapp back up that is how got to download mode i tried the recovery through the power and volume down and nothing it keep going to download mode ...plz help thanks

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

this is g4 from tmobile

madhouze

Apr 21, 2007
it happened when i was backing up whatsapp on my pc and getting my g3 on stock through lg flash tool ....when the g3 got ready i unplugged the g3 and connect the g4 to get the whatsapp back up that is how got to download mode i tried the recovery through the power and volume down and nothing it keep going to download mode ...plz help thanks

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

this is g4 from tmobile

Pilo - what were you using to backup/restore?
Since we have no root, there really shouldn't be many ways for you to screw up your G4...
Regardless, this doesn't seem to be the right place for your question, as it has nothing to do with this thread.
I recommend you post a question in the General forum.

Quote100

Aug 21, 2014
Man that's really weird as long as the g4 has been out there isn't any way to root this damn thing. Glad I have a g3 but I feel bad for my brother who has a g4 haha

c6z06vette

Nov 23, 2014
Chicago
patients is a virtue

I recently upgraded from an G2 to the G4......I remember the early days on the G2 that everyone was itching to root there phone. Be patient and let the REAL developers figure a scheme. They will......

I have no intention to roll back to another phone because of root. It will happen....then happy tweeking:good::good:

Stompy86

May 24, 2013
New York
I'm trying to follow along here but i'm also new to the forum. I have a Verizon G4 if I follow the you tube video word for word will i have root access or will i just have a custom recovery? I'm not sure i understand the difference between the two. Will to try any methods anyone has along has there's a you tube video or a step by step. I've only rooted my Galaxy S4 with Odin that's the extent of my experience.

Mystikalrush

May 1, 2011
I hope this is real, not that i doubt jcase, and i hope it comes out! Seems pretty quiet since this was publicly announced.

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
If jcase said he rooted it, I believe him. However, at the time, he said he had no intentions to release it. So, while I believe it can be rooted, we may have to wait for someone else to discover the method.

Last edited:

ocelot4ark

Jun 13, 2010
Manhattan, NY
If jcase said he rooted it,i believe him. However, at the time, he said he had no intentions to release it. So, while I believe it can be rooted, we may have to wait for someone else to discover the method.

Seems awfully self-promoting/selfish to post something like that and then just refuse to release it to make some kind of point. If you don't think people appreciate or whatever, just f'ing charge for it. I'd pay.

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Seems awfully self-promoting/selfish to post something like that and then just refuse to release it to make some kind of point. If you don't think people appreciate or whatever, just f'ing charge for it. I'd pay.
The root method that jcase used is extremely difficult and is very risky, which is why it hasn't been released to the public yet. I believe he said he'd release it once he can package it in a safer manner.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ocelot4ark

Jun 13, 2010
Manhattan, NY
The root method that jcase used is extremely difficult and is very risky, which is why it hasn't been released to the public yet. I believe he said he'd release it once he can package it in a safer manner.

My fault, then. I don't have nearly the time I need to keep up with this stuff. Sorry to jcase for misspeaking if he's just looking out for us.

ambervals6

Jun 14, 2015

Amin.

Sent from my LG-H815

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 ----------

You talk like you were there lol

Sent from my LG-H815

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why does every single thread about rooting for this device end in conflict? Seriously... Been in XDA a while... Never seen such volatile forums for a device. This it's supposed to be fun for everybody. Just sayin.
    Excellent question.

It mainly comes down to those that are impatient and loose faith. It's that emotion that takes over and feeds into one's self belief that something will not happen.

The title of this thread is quite clear:

G4 Root (Testing)

TESTING PEOPLE If you are not sure of the consequences testing can bring upon your own device, DO NOT TRY!

If you feel this is dangerous for people to try, you are unaware of the core XDA.

We are here to develop. Development is going to happen. Development happens every day.

If you feel this is wrong, i suggest you leave this thread.

Lets continue focusing on the conversation of testing.

Thank you,
    TonyStark​
    Why does every single thread about rooting for this device end in conflict? Seriously... Been in XDA a while... Never seen such volatile forums for a device. This it's supposed to be fun for everybody. Just sayin.

This is a test root method for the G4. It is based off of the original root method for rooting LG devices. The original method showed modified in the boot loader but it didn't have su. This a modified script to push su correctly and the su used by the H815.

Note: On the H815 If you would like root all you have to do is unlock boot loader, flash twrp for G4 then flash the supersu.zip

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This is a new method that i discovered. Instead of rooting we are just going to flash TWRP then we can root through the recovery. I have tested this on my G3 and i can confirm that you are able to flash recoveries through download mode.

The Recovery used in this is TWRP for H815 and I am not sure of how compatible it is with other variants but if it gives you root then its worth testing.

Files:LGG4_rFLASH.zip
    Drivers:HERE

Step 1: Enable USB Debugging

Step 2: Download G4 Flasher and unzip, Also Install Drivers

Step 3: In unzipped folder open a new command prompt window (Shift+Right click)

Step 4: Run this command
    adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/

Step 5: Enter Download Mode (Hold Volume Up While plugging in Usb Cable)

Step 6: Check Device Manager> Serial Port (Windows) and make sure your Phones COM is set to 41, if not then change it. After changing it you may have to unplug usb, pull battery and then reboot into download mode.

Step 7: Open a new Command prompt window just like before. in the folder you extracted.

Step 8: Run this Command
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM41

Step 9: Run this to Backup your current recovery
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery of=/data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img

Step 10: It will now show a # then run this
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 11: Then run this
    dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery

Step 12: Pull battery and try to boot into recovery

Step 13: Flash Supersu.zip

Note:: to restore original Recovery all you have to do is pull it
    adb pull /data/local/tmp/recoverybak.img \

Rename it recovery.img (you might have to delete or rename the one that was extracted from the zip earlier because the can only be one recovery.img in a folder )
    then rinse and repeat all the steps
    It's gonna happen. It did with the g3. We always get worried that we havnt heard anything but one day we will see something in the Dev forums. Be patient and let's all be cool to each other. Here's to root and some kind of twrp for this phone.