G610X Weird Observations (Kernels, ROMS, Bugs, etc.)

Do you experience the same as well on your on7xelte?

• Yes, matches with the case/s below!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Problems exist but not matching with the case/s below...

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Nope you're on your own! No problems here!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread
I own two (2) G610Y devices. One is a Black/Blue bought in early 2017 (Device A) and the other one is a White/Gold bought in late 2017 (Device B). Here are my observations on the devices:

Kernel:
- Device A and Device B both work fine with most kernels developed for Android 6 to Android 9 (e.g. Oxygen Kernel, Helios Kernel, etc.)
- However, Device A cannot properly boot up on Treble and/or Android Q-R using Ares Kernel and H-Kernel as it gets frozen up 3-5 seconds after boot and would auto-reboot while Device B has no such issues
- On the other hand, Device B could indeed run 1690MHz on little cluster, 1794MHz on big cluster, and 1146MHz on GPU as per the specs of the custom OC'ed kernels such as Ares while Device A when set to run at these would just insta-lock and freeze up
- Device A can only run stable at 1586MHz on the CPU and 1001MHz on the GPU. While it might be possible to push it to 1690MHz and 1146MHz respectively, there is a high chance that the device would auto-reboot and crash
- This is because Device A can't handle the OC'ed kernels that well and it would tend to ramp up to 70 degrees Celsius and beyond on the CPU when the frequencies are OC'ed beyond 1586MHz even on relatively light workloads
- Exact reason as to why these are happening (also for other G610Y users) is currently unknown. But based on observation and of the other G610Y users as well, most probably those who cannot work on Kernels other than Simple Kernel for treble/GSI roms have Device A while those who can boot up Ares Reborn fitted onto the ROMS have most likely Device B (please confirm)

ROM:
- Aside from the kernel issues, Device A doesn't have any other problems in terms of Treble/GSI roms when it comes to bugs
- However, Device B can usually get the zero brightness bug when the slider is set to lowest while Device A has no such issues
- There also might be another bug present in Device B when you go to "About Phone" and "Battery Information" you would see that the battery capacity is 3000mAh while on Device A it is the normal 3300mAh
- With these, more bugs can be expected from those with Device B while less bugs from those on Device A when it comes to roms. However, Device A is bad with kernels other than Simple kernel while Device B can handle the custom kernels just fine and as such no booting problems on Device B (please confirm as well)

*Feel free to tell me if there are any other issues and/or discrepancies between the two types of G610Y devices based on your own observations or if the same issues exist for other models such as G610F and G610M
*This might serve as an eye-opener for devs as well for when testers report certain problems, particularly if they are on a G610X device.

Last edited:

_XofeRiF_

Jun 23, 2020
can confirm with G610f model too, only simple kernel boots for treble roms.
For Pie roms" kernel, My device can boot upto helios 3.1 but not 3.6 , as it gives random reboot . (cronos kernel was perfect for me).
Nice observations and research though.

Reactions: Mightx

trinaldi

Apr 19, 2013
Except from Simple Kernel my 610M bootloops with Treble ROMs!

Good idea to open this discussion.
Whatever info you guys need about my HW, feel free to ask.

andikanexon

Apr 13, 2016
Confirmed G610F.
My device got some issue like device A.
Every treble rom got freeze 3-5 seconds and auto reboot. but if use simple kernel or non oc kernel its booting.
weird

For those on Device B who are experiencing the brightness bug in roms, just install Magisk and EdXposed then install GravityBox Q then go to Advanced Tuning>Enable Master Switch then Reboot>Framework>config_ScreenBrightnessSettingMinimum

169458773_132825058747917_8857995779466730491_n.jpg

172930079_787352722198842_2833210010539084430_n.jpg

Change the value from what number it is currently (usually 2) then make it 4 enable override then save. It should fix the zero brightness bug when slider is set to lowest.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinhhdk
Also, for those on Device A, you can try flashing the spectrum 7870 support flashable before/after flashing ares. This might work or it may not but in my case it does.

Additionally, so far if you can make ares boot up on Device A then I recommended in hktweaks changing HMP parameters to both 1024 or maxed out. This will provide the best battery savings and most stability as it won't constantly offload the workload to the big cores which cause random reboots on Device A. Also don't try setting max on little and big cores at 1690-1794 just leave both clusters at 1586 max. Also, Blu-Active seems more stable than Interactive governor on some roms I tried while others same result and marginal difference.

Last edited:

thinhhdk

• Oct 13, 2019
    G610F here.
    On android 10 rom i have zero brighness bug
    Battery i dont notice
    But one important bug that i have is galaxy wearable crash(to selection screen) when try to pair with galaxy fit 2, but my galaxy buds plus pair fine
    On android 9(J7 prime 2 based) then not much bugs to talk.

G610F here.
    On android 10 rom i have zero brighness bug
    Battery i dont notice
    But one important bug that i have is galaxy wearable crash(to selection screen) when try to pair with galaxy fit 2, but my galaxy buds plus pair fine
    On android 9(J7 prime 2 based) then not much bugs to talk.

For the brightness bug, the min value for the brightness is somehow reduced thus the bug so for the workaround, check the advise above.

For the bluetooth problems, Android Q/R ROMs usually have these kind of issues. Stick to Android 9 Pie if you want fully stable experience with peripherals/accessories.

Reactions: thinhhdk

thinhhdk

• Oct 13, 2019
    For the brightness bug, the min value for the brightness is somehow reduced thus the bug so for the workaround, check the advise above.

For the bluetooth problems, Android Q/R ROMs usually have these kind of issues. Stick to Android 9 Pie if you want fully stable experience with peripherals/accessories.
    I try 4 different roms, but the most stable(For G610F) is TheRealRom 9 Pure Edition

andikanexon

Apr 13, 2016
    Also, for those on Device A, you can try flashing the spectrum 7870 support flashable before/after flashing ares. This might work or it may not but in my case it does.

Additionally, so far if you can make ares boot up on Device A then I recommended in hktweaks changing HMP parameters to both 1024 or maxed out. This will provide the best battery savings and most stability as it won't constantly offload the workload to the big cores which cause random reboots on Device A. Also don't try setting max on little cores at 1690 just leave it at 1586. Also, Blu-Active seems more stable than Interactive governor.
    Will try this option.
    Btw, how to find HMP parameters sir? I didnt found it in hktweaks

Also, I noticed that every time the device wakes up from sleep, the big cores max goes to 1794 even if previously set at max 1586, thus random reboot/freeze again.

I think that because the clocks are set to go that high by default (past 1586 on cpu), the phone just can't handle cooling down the immediate heat on the processor die, even though the thermal sensors report temps within usable conditions. Since exynos and other processors have built-in auto-shutdown for safety features, I think this is what is causing the trouble. It simply won't go beyond 75c if it were on stock clocks but once you bump it up even just a bit, instability and random reboots tend to occur....

andikanexon

Apr 13, 2016
    If you are on ares kernel it should be there. Use the latest hktweaks too (v2.1.0)
    I already try your suggestion. Flash ares kernel V7 and flash spectrum v2 for 7870. Still face same isssue. Freeze 3s and then random reboot. So i go back to simple kernel v2.

I think is from oc kernel, 7870 cant handle more than 1690.

Hope devs can fix this at least lock OC to 1690 Hz like Chronos Kernel In android 9.0 rom.

bien2004official

• Sep 30, 2015
    Bình Định
    fb.me
    I already try your suggestion. Flash ares kernel V7 and flash spectrum v2 for 7870. Still face same isssue. Freeze 3s and then random reboot. So i go back to simple kernel v2.

I think is from oc kernel, 7870 cant handle more than 1690.

Hope devs can fix this at least lock OC to 1690 Hz like Chronos Kernel In android 9.0 rom.
    1794 works very normal here, it's because your hardware is not able to handle it.
    I may lock the max freq to 1690 in new versions though...

1794 works very normal here, it's because your hardware is not able to handle it.
    I may lock the max freq to 1690 in new versions though...

Yep same case. My other G610Y can handle 1794 all day long while my main G610Y freezes even on 1690 max... Silicon lottery I suppose xd

Also, setting big to ondemandplus governor may help in not letting it hit frequencies higher than 1586

Last edited:
    Current settings with most stability on Ares Kernel on Device A so far:

CPU:
    - Big Cluster min 343 and max 1794 with OndemandPlus governor
    - Little Cluster min 343 and max 1690 with Interactive governor
    - Enable scheduling workqueues to active cores for power efficiency

Hotplug:
    - Enable AutoSMP and leave at default settings

HMP:
    - Up and Down Threshold both at 1024

GPU:
    - Max 1001 min 343

Voltages:
    - Keep at default values

Other settings:
    - Change to your liking; not likely to affect stability or induce problems on Device A

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I own two (2) G610Y devices. One is a Black/Blue bought in early 2017 (Device A) and the other one is a White/Gold bought in late 2017 (Device B). Here are my observations on the devices:

Kernel:
      - Device A and Device B both work fine with most kernels developed for Android 6 to Android 9 (e.g. Oxygen Kernel, Helios Kernel, etc.)
      - However, Device A cannot properly boot up on Treble and/or Android Q-R using Ares Kernel and H-Kernel as it gets frozen up 3-5 seconds after boot and would auto-reboot while Device B has no such issues
      - On the other hand, Device B could indeed run 1690MHz on little cluster, 1794MHz on big cluster, and 1146MHz on GPU as per the specs of the custom OC'ed kernels such as Ares while Device A when set to run at these would just insta-lock and freeze up
      - Device A can only run stable at 1586MHz on the CPU and 1001MHz on the GPU. While it might be possible to push it to 1690MHz and 1146MHz respectively, there is a high chance that the device would auto-reboot and crash
      - This is because Device A can't handle the OC'ed kernels that well and it would tend to ramp up to 70 degrees Celsius and beyond on the CPU when the frequencies are OC'ed beyond 1586MHz even on relatively light workloads
      - Exact reason as to why these are happening (also for other G610Y users) is currently unknown. But based on observation and of the other G610Y users as well, most probably those who cannot work on Kernels other than Simple Kernel for treble/GSI roms have Device A while those who can boot up Ares Reborn fitted onto the ROMS have most likely Device B (please confirm)

ROM:
      - Aside from the kernel issues, Device A doesn't have any other problems in terms of Treble/GSI roms when it comes to bugs
      - However, Device B can usually get the zero brightness bug when the slider is set to lowest while Device A has no such issues
      - There also might be another bug present in Device B when you go to "About Phone" and "Battery Information" you would see that the battery capacity is 3000mAh while on Device A it is the normal 3300mAh
      - With these, more bugs can be expected from those with Device B while less bugs from those on Device A when it comes to roms. However, Device A is bad with kernels other than Simple kernel while Device B can handle the custom kernels just fine and as such no booting problems on Device B (please confirm as well)

*Feel free to tell me if there are any other issues and/or discrepancies between the two types of G610Y devices based on your own observations or if the same issues exist for other models such as G610F and G610M
      *This might serve as an eye-opener for devs as well for when testers report certain problems, particularly if they are on a G610X device.
      i just scrolled at xda and found this thread.

i can only argue about the brightness bug tho.

Ok, there's a file called "framework-res_auto_generated_rro.apk" or similar on /vendor/overlay.

You can add features, theming and even edit the system configuration.

And one of them is brightness.

And since J7 Prime is IPS LCD, the minimal brightness value for this is 4 or more.

And a lot of dev didn't care about this (sometimes even me [i like to call it "privacy protection" instead of bug]) because 80% of samsung phones with Exynos7870 chipset is AMOLED and the minimal brightness value for AMOLED is 0.

You can fix this brightness bug by re-placing it with stock one OR edit the overlay using Apktool X.

for the OC Kernels, for me it's really depends on your phone. One of old Ares testers even can handle OC at 1920mhz. and guess what? his phone is Y variant of J7 Prime (SM-G610Y) while mine (SM-G610F) sometime random reboot, but no more since bien fixed it on AresKernel Reborn.
      can confirm with G610f model too, only simple kernel boots for treble roms.
      For Pie roms" kernel, My device can boot upto helios 3.1 but not 3.6 , as it gives random reboot . (cronos kernel was perfect for me).
      Nice observations and research though.
      Except from Simple Kernel my 610M bootloops with Treble ROMs!

Good idea to open this discussion.
      Whatever info you guys need about my HW, feel free to ask.
      Must be so. Helios seems to work fine on mine though at 1690MHz but that kernel is for Android 9. So to everybody in the same pickle as me, just use Simple Kernel xd since it performs just as well if not better than ares (at least based on antutu scores) :)
      Helios has lower voltages as i remember, compared to Ares/Kraken which is pretty higher for overclocking.
      Welp then why is it happening? Something device-specific perhaps or kernel bug? Flash-wise and scenario-wise didn't do anything abnormal...

And I bet that some others are in the same situation as I am, as evidenced by the constant freezing and rebooting of ares. Indeed if the freq reset shouldn't happen and this is to be the normal behavior but why is it happening on select target devices while others no? I fully understand and embrace the existence of hardware-level variability between similarly-modeled devices but kernel behavior being this erratic? Must be a bug or something...
      Unclear why, but i'll make some checks related to it.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone