• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

G7 won't boot without stopping at FastBoot screen

Search This thread

DrWu

Feb 10, 2015
I'm usually able to get my G7 to boot to system or recovery but it never gets there without stopping at the FastBoot screen. If I command it from the system to reboot to recovery, it stops at the FastBoot screen. But if I command it to boot to recovery from fastboot, it goes straight there.

If I command it to reboot from system or to boot to system to recovery, it stops at FastBoot. If I command it to boot to system from FastBoot it will but it might take 2-3 attempts before it just doesn't come back to FastBoot.

I suspect this might have something to do with me loading a boot screen for a G5 to try to get rid of the "unstrustworthy" nag after I unlocked the boot loader. I liked the design but couldn't find the same one for a G7, and I didn't think just using the wrong boot screen could mess anything else up (except the boot screen). It gave me a blank boot screen (which was better than the nag screen) but it also screwed up the FastBoot screen. Now the only thing on my FastBoot screen that's above the dead Android is the selection indicator next to the power button. I can still scroll through the selections and choose the one I want, but all the stuff that used to be from there up is gone. I thought maybe flashing a proper G7 boot screen would fix it but it didn't. The boot screen is good but the FastBoot screen wasn't changed.

I can't remember for sure that this thing about always stopping at the FastBoot screen started exactly then but it was close if not exactly then.

I'm currently on LineageOS 16 and in the process of rebuilding, so if this FastBoot screen thing is "fixable", I figure this is a good time to tend to it.

Any ideas what causes this (apart from operator error)?

DrWu

Feb 10, 2015
Best to start over with fastbooting full stock pie rom and reinstall TWRP, etc.

That doesn't appear to be an option. Since new the only way I've been able to flash any factory image was by extracting it and fastboot flashing the individual files (same method as used to restore boot locking). Now that isn't working either.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
That doesn't appear to be an option. Since new the only way I've been able to flash any factory image was by extracting it and fastboot flashing the individual files (same method as used to restore boot locking). Now that isn't working either.
Try
Code:
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot reboot

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrWu

DrWu

Feb 10, 2015
Try
Code:
fastboot reboot

WHOOAAAA!!!! That fixed it. Now it boots to wherever I tell it, every time. Thank you so much for that, sd_shadow!

The fastboot screen is still messed up but that's purely cosmetic, nothing to affect the functionality, and that's much easier to live with that the way it was.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try
    Code:
    fastboot reboot