[G800F/M/Y][ROM][7.1][NJH47F] LineageOS 14.1 for G800F/M/Y [Beta 19/08/2017]

Search This thread

styla84

Sep 28, 2007
Berlin
Thank you all once again! When I realized I could upgrade twrp from within twrp, I did just that (while walking the dog!) And when I was then able to boot into twrp-3.1.0-0, I was so excited that I forgot to wipe anything and went straight to flashing the March 24 build - so far, everything seems to still be there. I was a little anxious, because the first boot took more than 5 minutes, but it did start up eventually.

Sent from my SM-G800F using XDA Free mobile app

a-dead-trousers

Jul 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
Thank you all once again! When I realized I could upgrade twrp from within twrp, I did just that (while walking the dog!) And when I was then able to boot into twrp-3.1.0-0, I was so excited that I forgot to wipe anything and went straight to flashing the March 24 build - so far, everything seems to still be there. I was a little anxious, because the first boot took more than 5 minutes, but it did start up eventually.
In old CM days you would have seen a screen where the state of the ongoing update was show (optimizing app x of y) but sadly they decided to remove this (in my opinion) very useful feature in LOS.

B

Bingbraten

@hennymcc why do you don't submitt this port to the lineage os website ? wiki.lineageos.org/submitting_device.html

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
I know from the initial post that cam has problems. So I installed the recommended opencam. But it can crash too. Right now it happens while changing the resolution. I can wait long.... but finally I had to abort the cam. After that I can't open it again - it gives feedback "error while opening cam, might be in use with differen application".
It happens two time while changing resolution from 1:1 6Mp to the next higher on. I think it doesn't depend on the camera application (standard or open cam).
In case of an error it seems that driver / lib was not closed proberly. Maybe it is a required to unload/load the driver?
There is mention also a bug report about this, but in this almost 60 pages I have not read it so far.
--
Is it still required to tweak some kernel settings for a proper battery lifetime? Not sure whether this is the old battery or a big drain ...

Last edited:

Mystixor

Is it still required to tweak some kernel settings for a proper battery lifetime? Not sure whether this is the old battery or a big drain ...
I don't know for sure but at least the battery has kind of gotten stronger for me with Ayke's newest build but that could also be because of something else. What I can confirm is even when the phone runs really hot and the battery is draining like crazy, the extreme battery save mode + aeroplane mode make the battery almost invincible :good: It's amazing how well it works on this System (imo)! I hope I was able to help you at least a little bit.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Don't have experience until now. Testing Cam, doing backup, reboots stresses the battery. Nevertheless I am a bit concerned how fast it goes down. If I get you right: Enabling Extreme Battery Saving helps. And in addition to the flightmode (make sense only overnight) it doesn't drain at all / almost zero?

Mystixor

Don't have experience until now. Testing Cam, doing backup, reboots stresses the battery. Nevertheless I am a bit concerned how fast it goes down. If I get you right: Enabling Extreme Battery Saving helps. And in addition to the flightmode (make sense only overnight) it doesn't drain at all / almost zero?
Yeah that's what I have experienced but sadly I can not tell you whether Extreme Battery Saving OR Aeroplane Mode solely would already have some effect since I didn't test them just by themselves (but I guess so). No matter how you heat up your S5 Mini it's for sure gonna drain like crazy, I think we all can agree on this ;) just let it cool down in this Extreme-Battery-Saving-Aeroplane-Combo once in a while and you'll get over the day

Danko Jones

Nov 17, 2013
Anyone else experiencing "touchscreen not working" problems while using whatsapp? Sometimes when I want to answer to a message the touchscreen seems to freeze. I still can use the soft keys and the home button. But for me only a restart gets the touchscreen working again. Using newest LOS 14.1 version and newest whatsapp version (available via playstore).

tinl

Oct 14, 2012
TWRP 3.0.0 vs TWRP 3.x.y.z, restore a LineageOS 13.1 backup, install LineageOS 14

Good day / evening all

Well. Maybe not in the right thread, but read anyway:

Quite impressed by the LineageOS 13.1 development, but trying to be on the actual track, I upgraded from Lineage 13.1 to LineageOS 14.1 (see https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5-mini/development/g800f-m-y-lineageos-14-1-g800f-m-y-t3549055, using <https://aykevl.nl/android>) -- working quite well, but, for backups and restores, it seemed to be necessary to upgrade to TWRP > 3.0.0.0. Ok. Why not. If many write ...

But: with TWRP > 3.0.0.0 (actually TWRP 3.1.0.0 -- it installed with errors, I can not go back), it is impossible to restore LineageOS 13.1 backups: SM-G800F stuck in the boot screen, first red top line, then the blue top line forever, well for at least more than ten minutes, ... I do not want to wait for devices, ubiquitous and more powerful than my desktop).

Not very amused! Very stable system, not able to restore? Is it Samsung or TWRP changing (in a minor version upgrade) essential functionality?

Not at all to complain about -- I profit from LineageOS as well as from TWRP.

-- Not at all sent from my mobile device, more from my portable.

Regards TinL

Pat750

Sep 12, 2016

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Can't say anything to your special problem, but I also notices differences in the TWRP. As an example, I haven't been able to install the sudo addon of LOS with the older 2.8.x, for this I had to upgrade it. I am using now both from aykevl.

I am using it now for 3 days. My experience is mixed. It looks great and it seems to work beside the mentioned problems with the camera. Haven't tried the fingerprint scanner (someone knows where the data are stored to?).
First two days I was busy with installing and setup, so battery was stressed. Yesterday was my first normal usage day.
But at least once the system runs into instability, becomes terrible slow. I had to reboot.

BTW: is there a tool which can show the current it draws actually in status line, so that there is a more realtime view to load?

Mystixor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170419-104657.png
    Screenshot_20170419-104657.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: starbright_

tinl

Oct 14, 2012
Re: TWRP 3.0.0 vs TWRP 3.x.y.z, restore a LineageOS 13.1 backup, install LineageOS 14

I guess restoring MM ROMs only works with TWRP 2.8 once you flashed an N ROM.
You can get it here https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5-mini/development/rom-slim-rom-7-nougat-t3558926
Please read the notes there and download as well (all in the opening post).

Not at all.
Restoring "MM ROMs" works well with TWRP 3.0.0.0. Especially these made from LineageOS 13.1.
What I unfortunately missed was: Pushing the start button in Odin3-v3 to install TWRP 3.0.0 recovery image [25/03/2016] according to https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5-mini/development/g800f-m-y-lineageos-13-0-g800f-m-y-t3545642.
The "smelly" thing that stays: Can not restore backups made with TWRP 3.0.0-0 with TWRP 3.1.0-0 (I know -- wrong thread).

Regards
TinL

PS: Not "Sent from my SM-G800F using the XDA app." but sent from my TP T400 from the browser.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
My hardest pain right now is battery. It lasts only half a day (or a day if at night in flight mode). Previous post to this topic are changing the settings of the governor. But as far as I see this is only affecting how aggressive the CPU ramps up to higher MHz. (Or am I wrong?)
What I have seen is a lot of "screen off" but "awake". Most of this time it is in 400MHz, so this is not the isse. The issue seems to be, that it wakes up to often. I have installed better battery stats (for free here in xda forum) and watch at it.

I have seen, that LOS has switched to 7.1.2. Hope, that one of the devs ( @hennymcc, @CTXz, @spookcity138, @psyafter, last but not least @ayke ) will creates a new release for us.

Last edited:

RommelTacticz

Nov 6, 2016
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a LineageOS 14.1 ROM for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (G800F/G800M/G800Y).

DO NOT USE IT FOR G800H OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE

Although G800F and G800H share the same name they are not related in terms of hardware due to the different SoCs used (Exynos vs. Snapdragon).
    Hence please do not ask for support or ROMs for the G800H.

Important note: It is possible that flashing this ROM can cause efs partition issues. Therefore it is strongly recommended to make a backup of your efs partition before flashing this ROM. This can be done via TWRP.

Working features
    • HW accelerated GUI
    • Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front) (switching between camera and video-recording might crash the camera-app)
    • MTP storage
    • Flash Light
    • Bluetooth (A2DP, HFP, HID)
    • IR
    • Sound
    • SMS
    • Initiate and receive calls
    • Wifi
    • Mobile Data
    • USB-OTG (Keyboard, Mouse, USB-Audio, Mass-Storage)
    • NFC
    • Hardware sensors (Orientation, Compass, Proximity, Acceleration, Hall sensor, Step counter)
    • Light sensor (needed for auto-brightness)
    • Pulse sensor (preliminary and very inaccurate. Works with Apps like Kardiograph)
    • SD-Card as internal storage (new Android M feature)
    • GPS
    • Fingerprint scanner
    • SELinux

Non-working features:

Known issues:
    • Camera crashes when switching from camera to video. Use Google camera or Open camera to solve camera issues.
    • See the Bug Report section of this thread.

Disclaimer:
    • You flash this image at your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing this image (bricked device, lost data, ...)
    • Flashing this kernel image will trigger the KNOX counter, so your warranty will be void.
    • Applications that use KNOX (e.g. "Private Mode") might not work anymore when returning to the stock ROM, as the device is regarded as compromised. Do not flash this ROM if you need those applications.
    • The image is only for Exynos3470 based S5 Mini variants SM-G800F/M/Y.
    • It might be instable, crash your device, drain your battery, or even might damage your smartphone (e.g. if an USB-OTG device drains too much power)
    • Some users reported that their touch-screen stopped working permanently after some weeks of usage. For some user's (two at the moment including me) NFC stopped working permanently. Probably this issues are not related to this ROM as also many stock user's complain about hardware issues (random reboots, black screens, unresponsive touchscreen) but you have been warned.
    • Backup your data before flashing and check if the original firmware is present (e.g. at SamMobile)
    Before you start:
    • Backup your data, like call history, contacts, sms, WhatsApp messages, favourite app settings that are on internal and external sd (by using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore). At least all internal data will be lost in any case. If you have bad luck you might also loose data from your external sd card.

Download:

Install recovery:
    • Reboot your device into Download mode: turn off your device, then press Volume-Down + Home + Power button at the same time and release them.
    • Confirm the following warning message with the Volume-Up button.
    • Connect your device to your PC via USB
    • Make sure the device driver's are installed on your PC
    • Start Odin
    • In Odin select "PDA" (in newer versions: "AP") and select the recovery image (recovery.tar.md5)
    • Check that only "F. Reset Time" is set. "Auto Reboot" should be disabled to avoid a reboot into stock ROM.
    • Click on "Start": the recovery image should be flashed now. By flashing the recovery, your warranty will be void.
    • After the recovery flashing process was successful, power of your device, wait a few seconds and reboot into recovery mode (see instructions below).
    • Important: make sure not to boot into stock ROM, otherwise the stock ROM might remove the custom recovery again. If this happens, flash the recovery image again.

Before you flash:
    • You need the latest TWRP recovery (see above). Otherwise TWRP might not be able to flash the ROM. This is because TWRP checks now if the device is "supported".
    • Wipe the device to avoid problems with remaining files from the old installation (see instructions below). This also applies if you already installed an older version of CM 14.1.

Flash ROM:
    • Reboot into recovery mode (Press Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
    • If you come from a stock ROM, this is your opportunity to make a Backup of your phone(Backup, then select Boot, System, Data, then swipe to backup). Note that the recovery might fail to restore the backup when you want to go back to the stock ROM (for me it got stuck after a restore during boot. But the backup was made with a different version of TWRP, so it might work in general) - simply do not expect too much of it at the moment.
    • If you haven't copied the installation files yet, you can now copy the GApps and the ROM zip to your internal sd or external sd (be careful not to put the files into the data directory of the internal sd card as this will be deleted in the next step). Be sure that MTP is enabled (inside Mounts, click on Enable MTP), then, from your pc, copy the files. If MTP does not work from recovery, try it directly from Android or remove the external sd card from the phone and put it into your PC.
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe). Do not report problems if you did not wipe those partitions as the problems are most probably related to this!
    • Install the CM ROM zip-package
    • Install the GApps zip-package

How to root:
    LineageOS does not have root support integrated by default. You have to download addonsu-arm-signed.zip for 14.1 from the Lineageos Extras download page and install it with TWRP.
    After that root access is still disabled by default. If you want to activate root access for apps, do the following:
    • Open the Settings menu, select "About Phone"
    • Tap on the "Build number" entry seven times. You should be notified, that the developer settings are now active.
    • Open the Settings menu, select "Developer options". Enable root access by selecting "Apps" in the "Root-Access" setting.

In case you want to go back to the stock ROM:
    • lf you do not have the latest ROM for the G800F you can download it from SamMobile
    • Reboot your phone into Odin mode
    • Open Odin on your PC and connect your smartphone with your PC via USB
    • If you have a zip-file unzip it so that you have a .tar.md5 file
    • In Odin click on the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file. Then press "Start".
    • Normally the stock rom fails to boot as the data from CM is still on the data partition. So after flashing the stock rom, reboot into recovery mode (it looks a bit different now). First wipe the data partition, then wipe the cache.
    • Reboot

Changelog
    Code:
    Changelog:
    19/08/2017:
    * SELinux policy update
    * Update to newest LineageOS sources
    02/06/2017:
    * Firefox crash&reboot fixed (thanks to Spookcity)
    * Enabling the fingerprint reader does not cause bootloops anymore (thanks to Spookcity)
    * Ambient display option added (disabled by default)
    28/05/2017:
    * [COLOR="red"]Note: ROM is stuck in bootloop when fingerprint reader is enabled. ROM removed.[/COLOR]
    * Enabled selinux (thanks to mirhciulica for fixing all those selinux denials). If you encounter problems check for "avc: denied" messages in logcat (see: https://source.android.com/security/selinux/validate)
    * Fixed Snapchat and SafetyNet problems (Snapchat reported server errors, Safetynet Helper reported a 1970 timestamp): Kernel patch was necessary.
    * Updated kernel to 3.4.107
    * Applied most of the patches from [URL="https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/deprecated/android-3.4"]kernel/common/deprecated/android-3.4[/URL]
    * Updated LineageOS sources
    * FlipFlap added to support smart flip covers: shows a screen with the current time in the window of the smart cover. Note that this relies on the magnetic sensor at the bottom of the phone. So magnets near the sensor can trigger this behavior too.
    * Replaced the buggy Gello webbrowser with Jelly - the new LineageOS default browser
    * Replaced the buggy Snap camera with the LineageOS default camera app
    * Replaced the Samsung battery charger app (lpm) with healthd (looks uglier but at least works with selinux)

20/02/2017:
    * Fixed Youtube scaling issue on window resizing
    * Compass fixed (thanks to mirhciulica for figuring out what's wrong)
    * cpufreq config added
    * Charge mode fixed (starts when plugging USB into a powered-off phone)
    * USB-Tethering and Wifi SoftAP (Hotspot) fixed
    * Camera doesn't crash when switching between camera and video (but might still crash sometimes)
    * Fingerprint libs reverted from MM to LP (maybe that fixes the fingerprint issues - please test)

01/02/2017:
    * conversion to LineageOS
    * updated some libs with stock MM versions
    * fixed robotic voice problem
    * fixed silence on first call

07/11/2016:
    * Initial test build

This section is for developers:
    A README file with build instructions can be found here:
    Code:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_kminilte

Sources:
    Code:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_vendor_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_kernel_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_smdk3470-common

Developers welcome
    • At the moment the G800F/M/Y specific port of this ROM is only done by two persons (CTXz and hennymcc). Although Unjustified Dev also works on this ROM he does not own an Galaxy S5 Mini but a Galaxy Light which has a similar base but is different when it comes to camera, nfc and other components (maybe even slightly when it comes to audio and radio).
    • Help from other developers is always welcome. See the bug/feature section and this thread to see what is missing. Just give some short info (here in this thread or PM) that you want to work on some issue or feature so that work can be synchronized. Maybe there are also other devs that want to work with you on the same issue.
    • Knowledge in how the kernel works and good programming skills in C, C++ and Java would be nice but not necessary for all problems. At least you should be able to build the ROM and test your changes yourself but you do not need experience in porting ROMs.

Thanks to CTXz, Psyafter, spookcity138, ayke and mirhciulica for working on this ROM.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [G800F/M/Y][ROM][7.1][NJH47F] LineageOS 14.1 for G800F/M/Y [Beta 19/08/2017], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
    hennymcc, Panzerknakker, spookcity138, psyafter, ayke
    Source Code: https://github.com/cm-3470

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery [version >= 15/08/2015]
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-02-01
    Last Updated 2018-08-18
    Hi there is a new build:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862704787

Changelog:
    • Fixed Youtube scaling issue on window resizing
    • Compass fixed (thanks to mirhciulica for figuring out what's wrong)
    • cpufreq config added
    • Charge mode fixed (starts when plugging USB into a powered-off phone)
    • USB-Tethering and Wifi SoftAP (Hotspot) fixed
    • Camera doesn't crash when switching between camera and video (but might still crash sometimes)
    • Fingerprint libs reverted from MM to LP (maybe that fixes the fingerprint issues - please test)
    Official TWRP 3.1.1

I've worked together with the TWRP maintainers to make TWRP official, and it's finally here :D
    https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5-mini/orig-development/recovery-twrp-3-1-1-exynos-t3626646

You can download it from here:
    https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys5miniexynos.html
    A new build is available:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545570720

It turned out that the patch found by Spookcity not only fixes Firefox but also the fingerprint bootloop. So the new build should be usable again.
    As the initial bootloops probably were also caused by the fingerprints it should not be necessary anymore to wipe everything (although still recommended).

Changes:
    • Firefox crash&reboot fixed
    • Enabling the fingerprint reader does not cause bootloops anymore
    • Ambient display option added (disabled by default)
    A new build is available.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195902448

Changelog:
    Code:
    * Enabled selinux (thanks to mirhciulica for fixing all those selinux denials). If you encounter problems check for "avc: denied" messages in logcat (see: https://source.android.com/security/selinux/validate)
    * Fixed Snapchat and SafetyNet problems (Snapchat reported server errors, Safetynet Helper reported a 1970 timestamp): Kernel patch was necessary.
    * Updated kernel to 3.4.107
    * Applied most of the patches from [URL="https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/deprecated/android-3.4"]kernel/common/deprecated/android-3.4[/URL]
    * Updated LineageOS sources
    * FlipFlap added to support smart flip covers: shows a screen with the current time in the window of the smart cover. Note that this relies on the magnetic sensor at the bottom of the phone. So magnets near the sensor can trigger this behavior too.
    * Replaced the buggy Gello webbrowser with Jelly - the new LineageOS default browser
    * Replaced the buggy Snap camera with the LineageOS default camera app
    * Replaced the Samsung battery charger app (lpm) with healthd (looks uglier but at least works with selinux)