• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

G900A Galaxy S5 Android 6.0 Odin Update Files - Without Wiping!

Search This thread
hi I had this phone and can tell you from experience that if you are on MM 6.0.1 and have ODIN fails or success and wont boot what you need to do is downgrade to the 5.11 version. https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=24438995911970945
that should work if not downgrade again to kitkat SPECIAL ORIGINAL combination ROM

you will be bare bones now I recommend and yes it will take forever but it upgrades the phone right flash this Original Stock kit kat AT&T rom

then do OTA updates through the device... probably take 24hours there is like 11 in order.....

or flash the last STOCK 6.01 factory ROM

this way it cleans out ALL.... once booted you can go back stock or root the choice is yours..... WILL NOT TRIP KNOX..... WILL NOT LOSE WARRANTY.... AND IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THAT SOME ONE IS BLOWING SMOKE UP YOU TAIL....

the phone is unsupported retail .....your carrier wont know and you can change that CSC bye email AT&T unlock sim.... they email you the code....if its blacklisted or balance due whatever you can force brick in to edl and use QPST software to nand erase and set new IMEI if you know how to use qfil/qset on legacy devices

Last edited:

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
Disk Drive would be your computer's hard drive

And no, can't do anything via a USB controller
Thanks again
My dumb on Disk Drive side, sorry - using a friend's pc, didn't think it might have a Samsung HD

Still trying adjustments on initial efforts to use ODIN to flash your firmware with HOME_CSC
Any advice on which version of ODIN to use?
Think there might be a version compatibility issue with the knox bluetooth permission error?

Maybe using a different version of ODIN, 'use as administrator', anything else might help?
Concerned the ODIN 'load' part is working but the firmware 'install' process on the phone is what is hitting the error, so maybe changing how we use ODIN wouldn't really help?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Thanks again
My dumb on Disk Drive side, sorry - using a friend's pc, didn't think it might have a Samsung HD

Still trying adjustments on initial efforts to use ODIN to flash your firmware with HOME_CSC
Any advice on which version of ODIN to use?
Think there might be a version compatibility issue with the knox bluetooth permission error?

Maybe using a different version of ODIN, 'use as administrator', anything else might help?
Concerned the ODIN 'load' part is working but the firmware 'install' process on the phone is what is hitting the error, so maybe changing how we use ODIN wouldn't really help?
Odin is pretty binary when it comes to this - it either works or doesn't. There's not really anything you can do to "change" the install. As long as it gets all the way to the end and you see "PASS", it went through. Flashing using a different version won't make a difference, although you're certainly welcome to try. The Knox bluetooth thing seems to just be a hiccup that happened during the OTA update process.

PS. Just in case it's not apparent, don't flash anything mentioned by the poster above. That would wipe your device.

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
hi I had this phone and can tell you from experience that if you are on MM 6.0.1 and have ODIN fails or success and wont boot what you need to do is downgrade to the 5.11 version.
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=24438995911970945

that should work if not downgrade again to kitkat SPECIAL ORIGINAL combination ROM

you will be bare bones now I recommend and yes it will take forever but it upgrades the phone right flash this Original Stock kit kat AT&T rom

Thanks Alan
The DATA is the key for me
I need to do whatever is required to get the data - texts and notes in particular - off the old G900A S5 phone
Past that, I do not care at all about knox, rooting, warranty, carrier support, or anything else.
If I can offload a backup of the data to my newer phone (Smart Switch or the like), or to PC (Smart Switch backup that I can then push from PC to my new S21), or at least just PC in some type of Windows OS file (like CSV file for text messages), saving off the DATA is the only thing that matters to me.
Would your approach support that, or does 'bare bones' include wiping the data in a hard / factory reset?

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
Odin is pretty binary when it comes to this - it either works or doesn't. There's not really anything you can do to "change" the install. As long as it gets all the way to the end and you see "PASS", it went through. Flashing using a different version won't make a difference, although you're certainly welcome to try. The Knox bluetooth thing seems to just be a hiccup that happened during the OTA update process.

PS. Just in case it's not apparent, don't flash anything mentioned by the poster above. That would wipe your device.

Looks like our posts passed in transit

Thanks for all - particularly understanding that we cannot assume that I understand anything on this in full.
After all, I'm the dumba$$ that didn't back up my phone for 7 years who's now praying for some sort of fluke miracle to get the phone to boot the proverbial "just 1 more time..."

In another grasp...
I found a post on another board today titled "Samsung S5 G900A Boot Repair Done"
I don't know if protocol here says I should or shouldn't reference other boards, so apologies if bad form (please just lmk and I'll edit out), but hoping that string of info might help us past that knox bluetooth hiccup somehow?

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
in my experience dont flash the home csc odin file it wont wipe your data... if you are rooted you can use adb shell and dd commands to copy any partition then mount it on a linux machine and you will have file acsess.. thats standard for data recovery or use testdisk

Are you saying your experience is that to retain (not wipe) the data...
You can flash with the CSC instead of HOME_CSC or not flash a CSC at all (only flash the BL, AP, and CP)?

Unfortunately I'm not rooted, and I don't have a linux machine, but I do know friends who do, so that could potentially be arranged if it'll help me get my data back.

Thanks

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Are you saying your experience is that to retain (not wipe) the data...
You can flash with the CSC instead of HOME_CSC or not flash a CSC at all (only flash the BL, AP, and CP)?

Unfortunately I'm not rooted, and I don't have a linux machine, but I do know friends who do, so that could potentially be arranged if it'll help me get my data back.

Thanks
Regular CSC always wipes data. HOME CSC is what does *not* perform a factory reset, which is why it's included in my no-wipe zip.

No, a Linux machine won't do you any good. And you can't root the phone without performing a factory reset

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
Regular CSC always wipes data. HOME CSC is what does *not* perform a factory reset, which is why it's included in my no-wipe zip.

No, a Linux machine won't do you any good. And you can't root the phone without performing a factory reset
Thanks again

I've seen some web posts talking about leaving the phone on the AT&T logo screen and it 'magically' restarting again after long elapsed time (hours).
If I do that while plugged into charger, phone heats up alot, and doesn't work.
I'm trying that with full battery to start now, but no luck yet.

I've seen some web posts about doing things twice, like going into download mode and rebooting 1 time didn't work, but twice suddenly sent the phone into optimizing apps.
Wondering if back to back attempts to flash with cache wipe in between might be the magical steps needed to get a reboot to work?

If I'm understanding this right, I have 3 approaches, that all seem blocked or unlikely to work:
1. Reboot = the phone magically reboots successfully
2. Knox pass = we find a way to flash your firmware that doesn't get a knox permissions error
3. Factory reset = deletes the data, hopefully allows install of firmware, and then hopefully data recovery software like Dr Fone Recovery can recompile the bits together

If I do have to try an FR, should I then try to root, or just do as little as possible in initial phone setup to minimize data overwritten and try Data Recovery software?

Any other ideas, even longshots, that you think might get us past the knox permissions error or otherwise help?

Thanks again

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
If I do have to try an FR, should I then try to root, or just do as little as possible in initial phone setup to minimize data overwritten and try Data Recovery software?

Any other ideas, even longshots, that you think might get us past the knox permissions error or otherwise help?

Thanks again
1. From what I've seen, I think most (if not all) of the "data recovery" programs require root. But again, I've never actually seen one be successful.

2. You wouldn't be able to run any "data recovery" programs without getting through the setup, since Debugging would need to be enabled. So that would be mandatory

3. Nope, no other ideas.

Martin2019

Aug 1, 2021
1. From what I've seen, I think most (if not all) of the "data recovery" programs require root. But again, I've never actually seen one be successful.

2. You wouldn't be able to run any "data recovery" programs without getting through the setup, since Debugging would need to be enabled. So that would be mandatory

3. Nope, no other ideas.

Is there a way to root this phone at this point?

If I do a FR, that supposedly wipes apps (don't care) and data (the focus, big problem), and supposedly doesn't always let the phone boot up again anyway, so with my luck I'll be 'losing' my data, and still have a soft bricked phone.

Looks like Wondershare Dr Fone Recovery is the only of the data recovery programs that even claims to both work on the G900A model and to offer some level of recovery without root.
Problem is, it looks like marketing BS, because even their 'non rooted' mode says their process temporarily roots the phone, does it's business, then unroots the phone.
Is it even possible they can do that with an ATT model phone, especially this one on this firmware?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Is there a way to root this phone at this point?

If I do a FR, that supposedly wipes apps (don't care) and data (the focus, big problem), and supposedly doesn't always let the phone boot up again anyway, so with my luck I'll be 'losing' my data, and still have a soft bricked phone.

Looks like Wondershare Dr Fone Recovery is the only of the data recovery programs that even claims to both work on the G900A model and to offer some level of recovery without root.
Problem is, it looks like marketing BS, because even their 'non rooted' mode says their process temporarily roots the phone, does it's business, then unroots the phone.
Is it even possible they can do that with an ATT model phone, especially this one on this firmware?
1. It can't be rooted in its current state. There might be a way to do it, but not without wiping and doing some flashing

2. Factory reset solves the soft brick 99.9% of the time.

3. I've never used that program. Can't speak to its efficacy