G965U and G965U1 Firmware Links Here

Search This thread

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
For those who aren't already aware, G965U is the model number of all of the US carrier versions of the S9+. The G965U1 is the model number of the same device, but sold by Samsung SIM unlocked and with no carrier bloatware. Firmware is 100% interchangeable among these models: any U or U1 firmware version can be flashed to any U or U1 device at any time, assuming that you're not trying to downgrade the bootloader. A "U to U" or "U1 to U1" flash does not require a factory reset, but changing from one firmware to the other will require one. Also, U firmware is identical for the 4 base files (AP, BL, CP, CSC) for each individual build, no matter which carrier it comes from. So if you download 2 different carrier versions of the exact same build, the 4 base files will be identical. Where the firmware differs is in the USERDATA file - that's where the carrier bloatware and customizations reside.

Manual Odin flashing is designed for those who:

- want to manually update to a newer version of U firmware on their U device, either because they don't want to wait for their carrier's OTA or because OTAs aren't working on their device, or a different carrier got a new feature/patch before they did
- want to flash U1 firmware to their U device
- want to convert from U1 firmware to carrier U firmware
- want to convert from one carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware) to a different carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware)

For those who aren't already aware, anyone can now download firmware for almost any Samsung device any time that they want, via SamFirm or Frija. There are threads and info about them here on XDA so I won't waste time explaining - do a search if you're not already familiar with these tools. But they only provide whatever the latest/newest/current version is - nothing older. I pay for a subscription to a site that gets the official releases (usually) before they hit SamFirm/Frija, so that's where my files come from. However, I don't have unlimited bandwidth on the site, and it's also quite time consuming to download the files, zip them up, and upload them to AFH. And, I do threads like this for every single Sx and Note x model - so I won't be uploading every single version. The only full builds that I upload are ones where I get access to a new bootloader and/or Android version early, before they hit SamFirm/Frija.

This is not a "beginner's guide to Odin flashing" -type post/thread, so I won't list basic, step-by-step flashing instructions. My threads are geared towards those who already know what they're doing. If you're new to manually flashing Samsung firmware (or haven't done it in a long time), I recommend you consult one of those "beginner's" guides- there are tons of them here on XDA.

Odin 3.13.1 3B Patched is required for flashing these.

Happy flashing!

U firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=257072
U1 firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=257075

Notes:

- DON'T QUOTE THE OP WHEN YOU REPLY, kthx

- I have lots of threads just like this one for other Samsung flagships, if it interests you. For those who have already made use of my previous threads for a different device and are upgrading to an S9+, welcome back :)

- My zips are compressed extra small for space and bandwidth savings. The default Windows extractor can't handle it, so you'll need a 3rd party tool like 7zip, WinRAR, etc

- My naming method for folders on AFH is: build - bootloader - Android version
So "SAT - 1 - 9.0" means the full build number ends in SAT, it's bootloader version 1, and it's Android 9.0. When bootloader and Android versions increment, the first build to have those changes will have its folder notated appropriately.

- HOME CSC file keeps data intact; using the other CSC will wipe data. Flashing USERDATA will also wipe data.

- Since AT&T doesn't allow their firmware to be publicly available (for any of their devices), I'll try to always upload at least one USERDATA per bootloader increment for AT&T. I'll also upload any full builds if AT&T is the only carrier to get that specific build, because you won't be able to find the files anywhere else.

- For identifying USERDATAS, and to know what region/CSC to use in SamFirm/Frija:

ATT = AT&T (not available via SamFirm/Frija)
BST = Boost Mobile
CCT = Xfinity Mobile (Comcast)
CHA = Spectrum Mobile (Charter)
SPR = Sprint
TMB = T-Mobile
TMK = Metro PCS
USC = US Cellular
VZW = Verizon (available via SamFirm/Frija, but Manual Entry is required - Auto will not work)
XAA = U1 firmware

- the correct procedure for switching from one carrier's firmware to another is:
1. Flash full U1 firmware package including non HOME CSC
2. Upon boot, insert a SIM of the carrier whose firmware you want
3. Watch for the popup that says "reboot to apply new carrier settings" etc, and do it
4. After that restart completes, reboot back to Download mode and flash the full U firmware package, with the USERDATA file of the carrier whose firmware you want

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Apr 5, 2009
Use latest Odin to flash these. The large files will be your 4 part firmware and then grab your desired USERDATA as well. I'll continue to add more versions and more USERDATAs over time.

Happy flashing!

Notes:

- HOME CSC file keeps data intact; using the other one will wipe data

- SamFirm still works - that's where I'm getting these from

- AIO = Cricket
TMK = Metro PCS
USC = US Cellular
Thank you for this. Download links show as empty folders right now. Also could you post the TMobile firmware?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Thank you for this. Download links show as empty folders right now. Also could you post the TMobile firmware?
There is no such thing as carrier-specific firmware anymore. Starting with the S8, it's all the same, regardless of carrier. USERDATA is where you get your bloatware from. USERDATA for TMB is already uploaded. Full RBG build is 75% uploaded as of right now

Reactions: BoboBrazil

BoboBrazil

Apr 5, 2009
There is no such thing as carrier-specific firmware anymore. Starting with the S8, it's all the same, regardless of carrier. USERDATA is where you get your bloatware from. USERDATA for TMB is already uploaded. Full RBG build is 75% uploaded as of right now
Thanks for responding. So if i use the userdata from T-Mobile I'll get the software updates from T-Mobile or will I get the software update for the unlocked s9+?

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
Can I flash the Verizon u firmware on my unlocked u phone to get wifi calling working, or are the u and u1 phones not cross compatible?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey
DELETE

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I read somewhere that ODIN v3.13.1 should be used for 8.0.0. Anyone hear such info?

tran1981

May 27, 2012
I'm having issue flashing G965U with odin 3.13.1 to TMB RBG . It stopped/failed. Do I need .tar.md5 files for odin? The zip only has .tar files.

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Total Binary size: 6920 M
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I'm having issue flashing G965U with odin 3.13.1 to TMB RBG . It stopped/failed. Do I need .tar.md5 files for odin? The zip only has .tar files.

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Total Binary size: 6920 M
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
No, they don't need to be md5. All that does is forces Odin to check the hash, which makes flashing even longer. All the files were md5 when I originally downloaded them, but I always remove the md5 for efficiency's sake.

Try a different USB port on your PC - mine will act weird from time to time and do that same thing. I use a different port and it goes fine

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
I believe you will get an error in odin when trying to flash between them. I got an error on my sm-g965U when trying to flash firmware from sm-g965U1
Dang it. I was hoping that since it's an unlocked model, it might be possible. Guess it's been longer than I thought since I've tried modding on an android phone (my moto z force droid was totally locked down).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who aren't already aware, G965U is the model number of all of the US carrier versions of the S9+. The G965U1 is the model number of the same device, but sold by Samsung SIM unlocked and with no carrier bloatware. Firmware is 100% interchangeable among these models: any U or U1 firmware version can be flashed to any U or U1 device at any time, assuming that you're not trying to downgrade the bootloader. A "U to U" or "U1 to U1" flash does not require a factory reset, but changing from one firmware to the other will require one. Also, U firmware is identical for the 4 base files (AP, BL, CP, CSC) for each individual build, no matter which carrier it comes from. So if you download 2 different carrier versions of the exact same build, the 4 base files will be identical. Where the firmware differs is in the USERDATA file - that's where the carrier bloatware and customizations reside.

Manual Odin flashing is designed for those who:

- want to manually update to a newer version of U firmware on their U device, either because they don't want to wait for their carrier's OTA or because OTAs aren't working on their device, or a different carrier got a new feature/patch before they did
    - want to flash U1 firmware to their U device
    - want to convert from U1 firmware to carrier U firmware
    - want to convert from one carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware) to a different carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware)

For those who aren't already aware, anyone can now download firmware for almost any Samsung device any time that they want, via SamFirm or Frija. There are threads and info about them here on XDA so I won't waste time explaining - do a search if you're not already familiar with these tools. But they only provide whatever the latest/newest/current version is - nothing older. I pay for a subscription to a site that gets the official releases (usually) before they hit SamFirm/Frija, so that's where my files come from. However, I don't have unlimited bandwidth on the site, and it's also quite time consuming to download the files, zip them up, and upload them to AFH. And, I do threads like this for every single Sx and Note x model - so I won't be uploading every single version. The only full builds that I upload are ones where I get access to a new bootloader and/or Android version early, before they hit SamFirm/Frija.

This is not a "beginner's guide to Odin flashing" -type post/thread, so I won't list basic, step-by-step flashing instructions. My threads are geared towards those who already know what they're doing. If you're new to manually flashing Samsung firmware (or haven't done it in a long time), I recommend you consult one of those "beginner's" guides- there are tons of them here on XDA.

Odin 3.13.1 3B Patched is required for flashing these.

Happy flashing!

Notes:

- DON'T QUOTE THE OP WHEN YOU REPLY, kthx

- I have lots of threads just like this one for other Samsung flagships, if it interests you. For those who have already made use of my previous threads for a different device and are upgrading to an S9+, welcome back :)

- My zips are compressed extra small for space and bandwidth savings. The default Windows extractor can't handle it, so you'll need a 3rd party tool like 7zip, WinRAR, etc

- My naming method for folders on AFH is: build - bootloader - Android version
    So "SAT - 1 - 9.0" means the full build number ends in SAT, it's bootloader version 1, and it's Android 9.0. When bootloader and Android versions increment, the first build to have those changes will have its folder notated appropriately.

- HOME CSC file keeps data intact; using the other CSC will wipe data. Flashing USERDATA will also wipe data.

- Since AT&T doesn't allow their firmware to be publicly available (for any of their devices), I'll try to always upload at least one USERDATA per bootloader increment for AT&T. I'll also upload any full builds if AT&T is the only carrier to get that specific build, because you won't be able to find the files anywhere else.

- For identifying USERDATAS, and to know what region/CSC to use in SamFirm/Frija:

ATT = AT&T (not available via SamFirm/Frija)
    BST = Boost Mobile
    CCT = Xfinity Mobile (Comcast)
    CHA = Spectrum Mobile (Charter)
    SPR = Sprint
    TMB = T-Mobile
    TMK = Metro PCS
    USC = US Cellular
    VZW = Verizon (available via SamFirm/Frija, but Manual Entry is required - Auto will not work)
    XAA = U1 firmware

- the correct procedure for switching from one carrier's firmware to another is:
    1. Flash full U1 firmware package including non HOME CSC
    2. Upon boot, insert a SIM of the carrier whose firmware you want
    3. Watch for the popup that says "reboot to apply new carrier settings" etc, and do it
    4. After that restart completes, reboot back to Download mode and flash the full U firmware package, with the USERDATA file of the carrier whose firmware you want
    Oh nice! So the next Ota would always be the unlocked firmware? Is there a thread for detailed instructions? Like I meantioned, my last Samsung was an S4.....

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Is there a detailed writeup on how to do this? Last Samsung device was an S4.

Here is a quick guide

Proceed with Caution. This is a firmware flash using Odin and will not trip KNOX.

* Download Mobile Driver for Samsung phones and install it

* Download G965 U1(Unlocked Model files) from here

* Extract using 7-Zip(WinRar will error out)

* Download the PatcheD Odin from here

* Factory Reset the phone and remove your Google Account if you have already set the phone up.

* Assemble all required files on Odin

* Put the phone into Download mode by holding down the Bixby Button, then the Volume Down button and then the Power Button. Hold all 3 buttons down till a warning page appears, proceed by pressing the Volume up button

* Connect the Phone to your PC using the factory cable

* Press Start on Odin

* The whole process should take about 5 minutes to finish.

* The phone will restart twice and voila you will have an unlocked S9+ with no carrier boot logo or bloat.

Phonlab's Video guide for S8+ still works for the S9
    I will stop posting any leaks for Pie, that way i don't get accused for it for the S9 or S9 Plus, this is something that's always been warned on people to install on there own RISK, and not me being responsible for there actions if something goes wrong with there phones.

This is a huge shame. Not that I'm interested in the Pie builds right now since they are so buggy, but the fact that you even have to not post because people are complaining of their phones not working is just a shame. For me, Xda is a place for getting leaks, custom roms, and apps that are outside the box to the point where they sometimes can't be on the play store. While most things on Xda are tested before being posted, it's always been a bleeding edge, use at your own risk type of site.

I've been coming here for years to extend the life of phones, rooting, and running custom roms. This kind of nonsense (people complaining about a clearly marked unstable alpha not working right) reminds me of the whole issue in society today. People just don't want to take responsibility for anything. The entire reason I haven't tried the Pie builds is because it's buggy. That's why it's an alpha. I can't afford to be without my phone, so I stay put on Oreo.

Anyways, I'll stop my rant. Glad to have you here and appreciate the leaks and all you bring to us. You've been awesome throughout the years (my Evo3d rocked your rom the whole time I had it), and if you haven't heard it from anyone recently, I totally appreciate your work!
    Odin files G965USQU3ARG7
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=3700668719832236886

Running On My Galaxy S9+ SM-G965U Wicked Venom

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Odin files G965USQU3ARG7

Link: G965USQU3ARG7-to-U3ARH1 https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=3700668719832237024

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Odin files G965USQU3ARG7

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Link: G965USQU3ARG7-to-U3ARH1 https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=3700668719832237024

Links are up.
    G965USQU3ARG2-to-U3ARG5-UP Link https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528056747

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using XDA Labs