G986U and G986U1 Firmware Links and Flashing Discussion Here

Search This thread

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
LOL! I downloaded the latest firmware for U1 from Firja, and after installing, the phone started with the BTS theme. Now downloading again from SAMMOBILE.
So it looks like for some reason, Frija is currently defaulting to giving you the OYZ version of the CSC (if you look in the middle of the full CSC version, you'll see the "OYZ") when you try to pull U1 firmware using Auto entry - and that's the version that comes with special branding (BTS for the S20, Star Wars for the Note 10, etc). The correct normal CSC without any extra branding is OYM. I just checked and this is only happening for the S20+ - the other S20 models correctly pull the OYM CSC when you're using Auto entry. So hopefully it's just a temporary error that they'll fix soon.

To fix it, first pull U1 firmware using Auto entry and XAA CSC, and then change Frija to Manual entry and copy the Versions that Frija finds into the respective PDA, CSC, and Phone fields. Then change the Z in the CSC to an M, and click Check Update. When it successfully pulls that firmware, you should notice the OYM CSC appear correctly under "Version"

Last edited:

sergefairley

Dec 2, 2020
So it looks like for some reason, Frija is currently defaulting to giving you the OYZ version of the CSC (if you look in the middle of the full CSC version, you'll see the "OYZ") when you try to pull U1 firmware using Auto entry - and that's the version that comes with special branding (BTS for the S20, Star Wars for the Note 10, etc). The correct normal CSC without any extra branding is OYM. I just checked and this is only happening for the S20+ - the other S20 models correctly pull the OYM CSC when you're using Auto entry. So hopefully it's just a temporary error that they'll fix soon.

To fix it, first pull U1 firmware using Auto entry and XAA CSC, and then change Frija to Manual entry and copy the Versions that Frija finds into the respective PDA, CSC, and Phone fields. Then change the Z in the CSC to an M, and click Check Update. When it successfully pulls that firmware, you should notice the OYM CSC appear correctly under "Version"

For some reason I'm unable to make it work, the fields just go empty, any pointers?

mbelsky

Apr 7, 2014
Hello. My friend's Verizon S20+ 5G SM-G986U is stuck in a boot loop. Loads Samsung, then Verizon loading screens, then boots back to Samsung. I have tried all of the steps I could find to fix the issue, with no success. He has very important data on here, and apparently, the google and Samsung backups have not worked since he got this phone (he just found out), so he has no data since June.

I am looking to reflash the newest stock Verizon firmware without losing user data using the method here.

1. Can someone post a good beginners guide to flashing with ODIN?
2. Which version of ODIN should I be using for this phone?
3. AM I understanding the OP correctly that I need to download the full Verizon rom from sammobile, but then replace part of it with something from the OPs link U firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=305579 in order to avoid a factory reset after the flash? Can anyone explain this part a bit more for me or tell me what to search for?
4. What do I need to configure in ODIN to do the OPs process correctly? I believe I need to check BL, AP, CP, and CSC and NOT USERDATA, but do I need to change anything in their boxes to the right or any other options?
5. Does this even have a chance of working to resolve the boot loop? Should I try applying a recent Verizon update file on the SD card and updating from recovery?

If anyone would like to help walk me through this I would gladly give a donation toward the cause :)

Thanks in advance!

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Hello. My friend's Verizon S20+ 5G SM-G986U is stuck in a boot loop. Loads Samsung, then Verizon loading screens, then boots back to Samsung. I have tried all of the steps I could find to fix the issue, with no success. He has very important data on here, and apparently, the google and Samsung backups have not worked since he got this phone (he just found out), so he has no data since June.

I am looking to reflash the newest stock Verizon firmware without losing user data using the method here.

1. Can someone post a good beginners guide to flashing with ODIN?
2. Which version of ODIN should I be using for this phone?
3. AM I understanding the OP correctly that I need to download the full Verizon rom from sammobile, but then replace part of it with something from the OPs link U firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=305579 in order to avoid a factory reset after the flash? Can anyone explain this part a bit more for me or tell me what to search for?
4. What do I need to configure in ODIN to do the OPs process correctly? I believe I need to check BL, AP, CP, and CSC and NOT USERDATA, but do I need to change anything in their boxes to the right or any other options?
5. Does this even have a chance of working to resolve the boot loop? Should I try applying a recent Verizon update file on the SD card and updating from recovery?

If anyone would like to help walk me through this I would gladly give a donation toward the cause :)

Thanks in advance!
- use Odin 3.13 or 3.14 - patched version
- you need to download the exact same build that the device is currently running, and then flash AP, BL, CP, and HOME CSC - do not flash USERDATA or the non HOME CSC
- there's a chance of it working, sure. But no way to know until you try

mbelsky

Apr 7, 2014
- use Odin 3.13 or 3.14 - patched version
- you need to download the exact same build that the device is currently running, and then flash AP, BL, CP, and HOME CSC - do not flash USERDATA or the non HOME CSC
- there's a chance of it working, sure. But no way to know until you try

Thanks for the quick reply

I really apologize for the newb questions but...

does patched version always mean one thing, or is there a patched version specific to this model phone?

is there any way for me to determine the current build number on a phone in a boot loop? Or did you just mean make sure to use any verizon rom if it had a verizon rom previously?

So there is nothing about using something modified by the OP to avoid a automatic factory restore after the flash? I thought I read that in this thread.

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Thanks for the quick reply

I really apologize for the newb questions but...

does patched version always mean one thing, or is there a patched version specific to this model phone?

is there any way for me to determine the current build number on a phone in a boot loop? Or did you just mean make sure to use any verizon rom if it had a verizon rom previously?

So there is nothing about using something modified by the OP to avoid a automatic factory restore after the flash? I thought I read that in this thread.
1. Odin is not specific to any one model. Should be able to find the patched version very easily by searching

2. You'll need to force boot the phone into Android Recovery in order to see which build it's currently running

3. Flashing HOME CSC and skipping USERDATA is what prevents a factory reset

mbelsky

Apr 7, 2014
1. Odin is not specific to any one model. Should be able to find the patched version very easily by searching

2. You'll need to force boot the phone into Android Recovery in order to see which build it's currently running

I'd love to send you some $ via the method of your choosing. Plz PM. If it works, I have a feeling my friend will want to send some more. Thanks!

Last edited:

mbelsky

Apr 7, 2014

So I just found out that he likely has developer options and usb debugging turned on. I had assumed it was for sure off based on knowing him. Can you point me to where I would post on this site for help with trying to recover data from a phone in boot loop without flashing?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
So I just found out that he likely has developer options and usb debugging turned on. I had assumed it was for sure off based on knowing him. Can you point me to where I would post on this site for help with trying to recover data from a phone in boot loop without flashing?
Debugging does you no good if the phone won't boot up. There is no way to get anything off of it if it's boot looping

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
So I get this when trying to flash U1 firmware CTL7 on a VZW with CTL4(?) the Dec security patch:
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> abl.elf
<ID:0/003> xbl.elf
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..

Tried multiple cables, restarted PC, phone, wiped phone the usual suspects when Odin doesn't flash, nothing works. Even deleted and redownloaded the firmware with Frija.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
So I get this when trying to flash U1 firmware CTL7 on a VZW with CTL4(?) the Dec security patch:
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> abl.elf
<ID:0/003> xbl.elf
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..

Tried multiple cables, restarted PC, phone, wiped phone the usual suspects when Odin doesn't flash, nothing works. Even deleted and redownloaded the firmware with Frija.
oh, and the phone has an error: "secure check fail : abl"

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
This forum is for the SM-G986U (and U1), S20 Plus
Yes, that was the firmware I had downloaded by mistake, hence the not flashing.
NOW I have the right firmware, SM-G986U1 but...I flashed the U1 firmware, set it up my TMO SIM in and wasn't getting LTE data let alone 5G. Downloaded and flashed the TMO firmware from Frija and now I am back on Verizon?? I don't get it.

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Yes, that was the firmware I had downloaded by mistake, hence the not flashing.
NOW I have the right firmware, SM-G986U1 but...I flashed the U1 firmware, set it up my TMO SIM in and wasn't getting LTE data let alone 5G. Downloaded and flashed the TMO firmware from Frija and now I am back on Verizon?? I don't get it.
Did you flash USERDATA?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who aren't already aware, G986U is the model number of all of the US carrier versions of the S20+. The G986U1 is the model number of the same device, but sold by Samsung SIM unlocked and with no carrier bloatware. Firmware is 100% interchangeable among these models: any U or U1 firmware version can be flashed to any U or U1 device at any time, assuming that you're not trying to downgrade the bootloader. Also, U firmware is identical for the 4 base files (AP, BL, CP, CSC) for each individual build, no matter which carrier it comes from. So if you download 2 different carrier versions of the exact same build, the 4 base files will be identical. Where the firmware differs is in the USERDATA file - that's where the carrier bloatware and customizations reside.

Manual Odin flashing is designed for those who:

- want to manually update to a newer version of U firmware on their U device, either because they don't want to wait for their carrier's OTA or because OTAs aren't working on their device, or a different carrier got a new feature/patch before they did
    - want to flash U1 firmware to their U device
    - want to convert from U1 firmware to carrier U firmware
    - want to convert from one carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware) to a different carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware)

For those who aren't already aware, anyone can now download firmware for almost any Samsung device any time that they want, via SamFirm or Frija. There are threads and info about them here on XDA so I won't waste time explaining - do a search if you're not already familiar with these tools. But they only provide whatever the latest/newest/current version is - nothing older. I pay for a subscription to a site that gets the official releases (usually) before they hit SamFirm/Frija, so that's where my files come from. However, I don't have unlimited bandwidth on the site, and it's also quite time consuming to download the files, zip them up, and upload them to AFH. And, I do threads like this for every single Sx and Note x model - so I won't be uploading every single version. The only full builds that I upload are ones where I get access to a new bootloader and/or Android version early, before they hit SamFirm/Frija.

This is not a "beginner's guide to Odin flashing" -type post/thread, so I won't list basic, step-by-step flashing instructions. My threads are geared towards those who already know what they're doing. If you're new to manually flashing Samsung firmware (or haven't done it in a long time), I recommend you consult one of those "beginner's" guides- there are tons of them here on XDA.

Happy flashing!

U firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=305579
    U1 firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=305580

Notes:

- DON'T QUOTE THE OP WHEN YOU REPLY, kthx

- I have lots of threads just like this one for other Samsung flagships, if it interests you. For those who have already made use of my previous threads for a different device and are upgrading to an S20, welcome back :)

- My zips are compressed extra small for space and bandwidth savings. The default Windows extractor can't handle it, so you'll need a 3rd party tool like 7zip, WinRAR, etc

- My naming method for folders on AFH is: build - bootloader - Android version
    So "SAT - 1 - 9.0" means the full build number ends in SAT, it's bootloader version 1, and it's Android 9.0. When bootloader and Android versions increment, the first build to have those changes will have its folder notated appropriately.

- HOME CSC file keeps data intact; using the other CSC will wipe data. Flashing USERDATA will also wipe data.

- Since AT&T doesn't allow their firmware to be publicly available (for any of their devices), I'll try to always upload at least one USERDATA per bootloader increment for AT&T (and Cricket, if they get this model). I'll also upload any full builds if AT&T is the only carrier to get that specific build, because you won't be able to find the files anywhere else.

- For identifying USERDATAS, and to know what region/CSC to use in SamFirm/Frija:

AIO = Cricket (not available via SamFirm/Frija)
    ATT = AT&T (not available via SamFirm/Frija)
    BST = Boost Mobile
    CCT = Xfinity Mobile (Comcast)
    CHA = Spectrum Mobile (Charter)
    SPR = Sprint
    TMB = T-Mobile
    TMK = Metro PCS
    USC = US Cellular
    VZW = Verizon (available via SamFirm/Frija, but Manual Entry is required - Auto will not work)
    XAA = U1 firmware

- the correct procedure for switching from one carrier's firmware to another is:
    1. Flash full U1 firmware package including non HOME CSC
    2. Upon boot, insert a SIM of the carrier whose firmware you want
    3. Watch for the popup that says "reboot to apply new carrier settings" etc, and do it
    4. After that restart completes, reboot back to Download mode and flash the full U firmware package, with the USERDATA file of the carrier whose firmware you want
    Notes:

1. I do not have one of these and do not plan to acquire one, so I have no idea if anything can actually be flashed at this moment - I'm just providing the firmware. Like all other models, I'm assuming patched Odin is needed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me if a new version is needed for this specific device. There's only one way to know though, so as soon as someone gets their hands on one and can try this, please let us know

It's been confirmed that Odin 3.14.1 Patched is needed for flashing S20s - https://xdaforums.com/android/software/patched-odin-3-13-1-t3762572

H/T @clabern

2. I don't know if using the HOME CSC will actually save data. I don't get access to that file straight from the source - I have to decompile the regular CSC, remove the parts that initiate the factory reset, and then re-compile it. Based on the S10 and Note 10, I've done what I think will avoid a factory reset. But the S20 has some new partitions, so we won't know for sure until someone tests it. So if you're willing to be that guinea pig, you're responsible for taking proper steps to avoid an FRP lock, make sure your data is backed up, etc
    Just wanted to let folks know I had to use this patched Odin (3.14.1_3B) in order to flash unlocked (U1) firmware on my Verizon S20+. Pulled the most recent firmware from Sammobile and flashed it successfully.
    One interesting came to mind today. I have a U1 from Samsung fully paid. I'm using att sim in it. It got the update to ATBN when I first used the phone. I've been reading the ATC1 fixes camera etc. I have no updates OTA available. When I click into the software update section, the last update was ATN but it gave me a link to the update notes and it had ATT as a dir on the URL.... I thought mine is a XAA which does have the latest update. Can someone chime in their understanding of the firmware affected by using a certain sim? I don't really want to reset the device just to get an update early.
    Even U1 devices have small invisible carrier customizations, determined by the SIM that's inserted. That's why, even for U1, other CSCs/Regions exist. You can get U1 firmware from SamFirm/Frija using any of the regular carrier codes - SPR, BST, TMB, TMK, etc - and the firmware that it gives you will have those customizations already set. When you change SIMs and get the "restart to apply new carrier settings", that's what it's doing.

Just like U firmware, U1 firmware isn't distributed to each carrier at the same time, nor do they all get the same versions. For example, as of this moment, if you look up U1 firmware in SamFirm or Frija under TMB (T-Mobile), it'll give you build TBN. But if you look it up under CCT (Xfinity Mobile), it'll give you TCH.

The great thing about universal firmware is that you can flash any version, any time that you want. So there's never a need to feel like you're stuck waiting for an OTA
    maybe i am misreading the OP but can the stock firmware be used to go from t-mobile to stock?

Yes, if by "stock" you mean "factory unlocked" aka U1.