General G996U and G996U1 Firmware Links and Flashing Discussion Here

Search This thread

wizenthorne

Oct 26, 2018
I bought the Verizon version of the S21+ from Samsung.com earlier in the year. I flashed the unlocked version shortly after. Now I'm sending it to Samsung.com as a trade-in for a new Galaxy phone.

Do I need to flash back to the Verizon branded version, or is it okay that I've got the U1 version on the phone? I've already removed my accounts and did a factory reset so everything is ready to go on it.

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I bought the Verizon version of the S21+ from Samsung.com earlier in the year. I flashed the unlocked version shortly after. Now I'm sending it to Samsung.com as a trade-in for a new Galaxy phone.

Do I need to flash back to the Verizon branded version, or is it okay that I've got the U1 version on the phone? I've already removed my accounts and did a factory reset so everything is ready to go on it.
I have no idea. That would be a question for Samsung.

If it were me, I'd return it with VZW bloatware

wizenthorne

Oct 26, 2018
I have no idea. That would be a question for Samsung.

If it were me, I'd return it with VZW bloatware
I don't know what I'm doing wrong now but it's straight up refusing to let me put the stock rom back on it. I'm not sure what could have changed in the past 8 months. Perhaps I'm just rusty. Tempted to send back the way it is. I've verified the bootloader screen says VZW on it and it was factory rebooted successfully. The only difference visually is that little 1 at the end of the firmware version.

Is the U/U1 tied to the IMEI somehow, or would Samsung have any idea that the phone originally had the Verizon U version and now has the Unlocked U1 version, especially since they sell both?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I don't know what I'm doing wrong now but it's straight up refusing to let me put the stock rom back on it. I'm not sure what could have changed in the past 8 months. Perhaps I'm just rusty. Tempted to send back the way it is. I've verified the bootloader screen says VZW on it and it was factory rebooted successfully. The only difference visually is that little 1 at the end of the firmware version.

Is the U/U1 tied to the IMEI somehow, or would Samsung have any idea that the phone originally had the Verizon U version and now has the Unlocked U1 version, especially since they sell both?
"straight up refusing to let me put the stock rom back on it" is pretty vague.

You need to explain exactly what you're doing and exactly what happens when you do it, including any error messages

Reactions: ur31337

wizenthorne

Oct 26, 2018
"straight up refusing to let me put the stock rom back on it" is pretty vague.

You need to explain exactly what you're doing and exactly what happens when you do it, including any error messages
No, you're absolutely right. I wasn't really trying to troubleshoot so I didn't offer any details about what it was doing. I'll try it again and explain what's happening.

apickens07

Sep 6, 2021
I have a sm-g996u tmb. it is unlocked. I use verizon as my service provider. I am trying to flash the vzw firmware. my current build software is g996usqu4augq. i used Frija, it told me G996U1UES4AUH9 was the most current. Still shows TMB after flashing. The main reason I am trying to do this is with the current TMB build it does not show wifi calling as an option. I really need it as I get spotty signal in the house.
how do i manually enter the vzw provider software?

Last edited:

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I have a sm-g996u tmb. it is unlocked. I use verizon as my service provider. I am trying to flash the vzw firmware. my current build software is g996usqu4augq. i used Frija, it told me G996U1UES4AUH9 was the most current. Still shows TMB after flashing. The main reason I am trying to do this is with the current TMB build it does not show wifi calling as an option. I really need it as I get spotty signal in the house.
how do i manually enter the vzw provider software?
If after inserting a Verizon SIM, you don't get the pop up prompt to "reboot to apply new carrier settings", then changing firmware is not going to be possible unfortunately

apickens07

Sep 6, 2021
If after inserting a Verizon SIM, you don't get the pop up prompt to "reboot to apply new carrier settings", then changing firmware is not going to be possible unfortunately
$800 paper weight? So no way to wipe and rebuild or anything. I am just out of luck and $$$??? Seems crazy to have the same hardware and unable to change the firmware from one provider to another.

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
$800 paper weight? So no way to wipe and rebuild or anything. I am just out of luck and $$$??? Seems crazy to have the same hardware and unable to change the firmware from one provider to another.
No, it's not a paperweight. If you require Verizon bloatware, then just sell it and buy a Verizon model. Costs should cancel themselves out, assuming both phones are in the same condition

tvBilly

Dec 22, 2009
No, it's not a paperweight. If you require Verizon bloatware, then just sell it and buy a Verizon model. Costs should cancel themselves out, assuming both phones are in the same condition
Now be fair. apickens07 already mentioned why: "The main reason I am trying to do this is with the current TMB build it does not show wifi calling as an option"

But I do agree that it's far from hopeless and if apickens07 wants to give up, that's up to him.

I wonder if it's actually unlocked from T-Mobile at all...

ogsamrock

Sep 9, 2021
Malaysia
Hello i have SM-G996U1 with csc GCF/GCF/VZW. Can i flash this firmware? The current phone cannot get any ota updates so i wanted to flash the latest firmware for the phone. Thanks.

Aftashok

Jan 26, 2008
Louisiana
Samsung Galaxy S21+
could anyone maybe direct Me to one of those beginner's guides? it's been so long since I've done any of this stuff, probably since My S7 Edge. I have an AT&T S21+, and want to flash the Unlocked version firmware so that I can download the OneUI4 beta.

tamir_89

Mar 9, 2013
Can i load a hong kong firmware on a U1 or U model?
I have the same question, can I flash different region firmware on unlocked s21+? This dilemma with single sim option in US is just straight up bull****. I recon, I could at least get the eSim option, if I get the different regionfirmware. Help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who aren't already aware, G996U is the model number of all of the US carrier versions of the S21+. The G996U1 is the model number of the same device, but sold by Samsung SIM unlocked and with no carrier bloatware. Firmware is 100% interchangeable among these models: any U or U1 firmware version can be flashed to any U or U1 device at any time, assuming that you're not trying to downgrade the bootloader. A "U to U" or "U1 to U1" flash does not require a factory reset, but changing from one firmware to the other will require one. Also, U firmware is identical for the 4 base files (AP, BL, CP, CSC) for each individual build, no matter which carrier it comes from. So if you download 2 different carrier versions of the exact same build, the 4 base files will be identical. Where the firmware differs is in the USERDATA file - that's where the carrier bloatware and customizations reside.

Manual Odin flashing is designed for those who:

- want to manually update to a newer version of U firmware on their U device, either because they don't want to wait for their carrier's OTA or because OTAs aren't working on their device, or a different carrier got a new feature/patch before they did
    - want to flash U1 firmware to their U device
    - want to convert from U1 firmware to carrier U firmware
    - want to convert from one carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware) to a different carrier's U firmware (with all apps and bloatware)

For those who aren't already aware, anyone can now download firmware for almost any Samsung device any time that they want, via the various firmware download tools posted here on XDA like SamFirm or Frija. There are threads and info about them here on XDA so I won't waste time explaining - do a search if you're not already familiar with these tools. But they only provide whatever the latest/newest/current version is - nothing older. I pay for a subscription to a site that gets the official releases (usually) before they hit the firmware download tools, so that's where my files come from.

This is not a "beginner's guide to Odin flashing" -type post/thread, so I won't list basic, step-by-step flashing instructions. My threads are geared towards those who already know what they're doing. If you're new to manually flashing Samsung firmware (or haven't done it in a long time), I recommend you consult one of those "beginner's" guides- there are tons of them here on XDA.

Happy flashing!

U firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=322091
    U1 firmware: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=322092

Notes:

- DON'T QUOTE THE OP WHEN YOU REPLY, kthx

- I have lots of threads just like this one for other Samsung flagships, if it interests you. For those who have already made use of my previous threads for a different device and are upgrading to an S21, welcome back :)

- My zips are compressed extra small for space and bandwidth savings. The default Windows extractor can't handle it, so you'll need a 3rd party tool like 7zip, WinRAR, etc

- it's quite time consuming to download the files, zip them up, and upload them to AFH. And, I do threads like this for every single Sx and Note x model, so I won't be uploading every single version. The only full builds that I upload are ones where I get access to a new bootloader and/or Android version early, before they hit the firmware download tools.

- My naming method for folders on AFH is: build - bootloader - Android version
    So "SAT - 1 - 9.0" means the full build number ends in SAT, it's bootloader version 1, and it's Android 9.0. When bootloader and Android versions increment, the first build to have those changes will have its folder notated appropriately.

- HOME CSC file keeps data intact; using the other CSC will wipe data. Flashing USERDATA will also wipe data.

- Since AT&T doesn't allow their firmware to be publicly available (for any of their devices), I'll try to always upload at least one USERDATA per bootloader increment for AT&T (and Cricket, if they get this model). I'll also upload any full builds if AT&T is the only carrier to get that specific build, because you won't be able to find the files anywhere else.

- For identifying USERDATAS, and to know what region/CSC to use in the firmware download tools if you're downloading yourself:

AIO = Cricket (not available via firmware download tools)
    ATT = AT&T (not available via firmware download tools)
    BST = Boost Mobile
    CCT = Xfinity Mobile (Comcast)
    CHA = Spectrum Mobile (Charter)
    DSH = Dish Network
    SPR = Sprint
    TMB = T-Mobile
    TMK = Metro PCS
    USC = US Cellular
    VZW = Verizon (available via firmware download tools, but Manual Entry is required - Auto will not work)
    XAA = U1 firmware

- the correct procedure for switching from one carrier's firmware to another is:
    1. Flash full U1 firmware package including non HOME CSC
    2. Upon boot, insert a SIM of the carrier whose firmware you want
    3. Watch for the popup that says "reboot to apply new carrier settings" etc, and do it
    4. After that restart completes, reboot back to Download mode and flash the full U firmware package, with the USERDATA file of the carrier whose firmware you want
    Switched from AT&T firmware (Jan '21 build) to U1 via Odin, all thanks to this thread! Just wanted to give a thanks to the op for leaving it out there for us!!
    P.S I was on OneUI 3.0 before and was only showing Single Sim and wasn't getting any update notifications either. Flashed U1, instantly was prompted for available updates. Couple of downloads and installs later, I got OneUI 4, and eSIM also showed up. Leaving this here to help anyone in a similar situation!
    Yep that one works in stock dialer. I've read that the csc dialer code doesn't work anymore for Android 11?

*#1234# should too right? I can't get that one to work, error.
    I have no idea about "csc dialer code". When you said dialer codes weren't working, I assumed that you meant any/all of them.

Yes,*#1234# should work also. At least, I haven't heard of them removing/discontinuing that one
    I try and flash the AT&T USERDATA but it is not flashing as I think my phone has a newer version and can't downgrade does anyone have the newer ATT userdata? I switched from Verizon to ATT and the phone is not connecting to data correctly as it only shows H+ not LTE or 5G.
    Bootloader 2 USERDATA was added 3 weeks ago
    I bought a s21 plus but not getting 5g what can I do
    Ps: device is an at&t unlocked version
    First, make sure that the device actually supports the 5G bands and frequencies of your provider. Then, change the CSC to match that of the US carrier who shares most of the 5G bands and frequencies of your provider.

If that still doesn't work, then post elsewhere, as this is off-topic for this thread