Galaxy Note 10.1 ROOTED! [ClockworkMod Recovery Is HERE!][HighOnAndroid Custom ROM]

Search This thread

MouseTheLuckyDog

May 28, 2012
Do you need to root it?

Ok aside from a custom ROm is there a reason to really want to root this tablet?
Is it locked down tight enough that there is something people want to do that they have to root this thing for?
Does the SPen even work well with custom ROMS?

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Ok aside from a custom ROm is there a reason to really want to root this tablet?
Is it locked down tight enough that there is something people want to do that they have to root this thing for?
Does the SPen even work well with custom ROMS?

There's no reason to root unless you really want to. There's a ton of things that root brings such as having full control over your device and more (which i won't get into here).

SPen does work fine with Touchwiz-based custom ROMs yes, just will not work with CM9/CM10/AOKP ROMs. But there may be a way to make them work in the near future.

Aug 9, 2012
There's no reason to root unless you really want to. There's a ton of things that root brings such as having full control over your device and more (which i won't get into here).

SPen does work fine with Touchwiz-based custom ROMs yes, just will not work with CM9/CM10/AOKP ROMs. But there may be a way to make them work in the near future.

I would be hesitant to root the Note simply because one of the main attractions (for me) for it is the software package. I simply don't want to wait for independent developers to catch up to Samsung on the SPen integration. I'll follow the dev section for it to see if someone comes out with something *far* superior and then root if it happens. Otherwise, potentially losing the very thing (note taking) that I will be purchasing this tablet for would be pointless.

Last edited:
I would be hesitant to root the Note simply because one of the main attractions (for me) for it is the software package. I simply don't want to wait for independent developers to catch up to Samsung on the SPen integration. I'll follow the dev section for it to see if someone comes out with something *far* superior and then root if it happens. Otherwise, potentially losing the very thing (note taking) that I will be purchasing this tablet for would be pointless.

I rooted mine with the second method (SuperSU via CWM). Without root I would loose a lot of apps I am using and which require root.

Mr Wh!te

Jul 5, 2010
Regensburg
I rooted mine with the second method (SuperSU via CWM). Without root I would loose a lot of apps I am using and which require root.

So, this method is working for the 3G version, right?

I'm currently considering buying the tab but I'm not quite sure which version. I've got the Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G Version, but there was less developement in the first days then for WIFI only.

I do not really need 3G 'cause there's WIFI nearly everywhere I'm using it, and furthermore would there still be the possibility of making a Hotspot.

So, my question: Which version do you think will be sold more in the US, because I think the devs will develop in first place for the version the majority owns?

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
So, this method is working for the 3G version, right?

I'm currently considering buying the tab but I'm not quite sure which version. I've got the Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G Version, but there was less developement in the first days then for WIFI only.

I do not really need 3G 'cause there's WIFI nearly everywhere I'm using it, and furthermore would there still be the possibility of making a Hotspot.

So, my question: Which version do you think will be sold more in the US, because I think the devs will develop in first place for the version the majority owns?

Yup working fine, I will make another root method for wifi too.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
please show me how to do that and will try it tomorrow!

P.S. just got CWM recovery working!
12%2B-%2B1

Just take SuperSU (must be an unmodified Chainfire release) and attempt to flash it from stock recovery.

If stock recovery allows testkeys (This has been the case for most Samsung phone ICS releases - I9100, N7000 are confirmed. I think the Tab 7 Plus also allowed flashing of things signed with testkeys), then SuperSU will directly flash without any need for CWM.

If stock recovery does not allow testkeys, then you will have to do things in more "traditional" ways such as what you covered here.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Let us be very clear, this is absolutely the wrong place for this thread - this is the Tab 10.1 section, not the Note 10.1 section, they are different devices.
If your device doesn't have a section yet, you don't just pick one you like the look of, you use the Android General section.

However, in this case, as there will be a proper Note 10.1 section opened soon the thread can stay. I can see little point in moving it just so it can be moved again in a few days.

As for other threads about the Note 10.1, they should be started in the correct place or you should just hold off until the new section has been opened.

never mind...wrong thread

Last edited:

Craiq

Dec 26, 2011
Just take SuperSU (must be an unmodified Chainfire release) and attempt to flash it from stock recovery.

If stock recovery allows testkeys (This has been the case for most Samsung phone ICS releases - I9100, N7000 are confirmed. I think the Tab 7 Plus also allowed flashing of things signed with testkeys), then SuperSU will directly flash without any need for CWM.

If stock recovery does not allow testkeys, then you will have to do things in more "traditional" ways such as what you covered here.

Will this increase the counter?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8000 mit Tapatalk 2

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Will this increase the counter?

It will do one of two things:
1) Nothing due to signature failure - This is the normal expected behavior BUT many recent Samsung recoveries are permitting ZIPs signed with testkeys to flash.
2) Root your device without increasing the counter. HOWEVER starting with the SGS3 there are additional checks for a modified system image that will display in Settings. I don't have complete details on this. As I understand it, removing su and Superuser and rebooting will cause this "backup" modification detection method to stop triggering, and it is not persistent (e.g. it just determines whether a device is currently modified, not whether it has been in the past.)

Craiq

Dec 26, 2011
It will do one of two things:
1) Nothing due to signature failure - This is the normal expected behavior BUT many recent Samsung recoveries are permitting ZIPs signed with testkeys to flash.
2) Root your device without increasing the counter. HOWEVER starting with the SGS3 there are additional checks for a modified system image that will display in Settings. I don't have complete details on this. As I understand it, removing su and Superuser and rebooting will cause this "backup" modification detection method to stop triggering, and it is not persistent (e.g. it just determines whether a device is currently modified, not whether it has been in the past.)

thx, i tested to flash superuser with the build in recovery and it fails because of the signature
so testkeys seems to be not allowed

and you think when i get my device rooted without increase the counter i still won't get OTA Updates?
Maybe next release of triangle away will support the Note 10.1, so i can reset the counter
Would be interesting then

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
thx, i tested to flash superuser with the build in recovery and it fails because of the signature
so testkeys seems to be not allowed

and you think when i get my device rooted without increase the counter i still won't get OTA Updates?
Maybe next release of triangle away will support the Note 10.1, so i can reset the counter
Would be interesting then

TA will require a custom kernel most likely - I'll look into that when I get mine.

Darn, they are enforcing sig checks on this device. :( Oh well.

sbeer

Oct 7, 2012
root GT-N8013

Hi,

rooted the tab using first option (using root-injected official firmware ODIN images).
First time managed to reboot and was working OK.
Then started to update the system and reboots all the time.
I see the Android Pic and the update bar, when reaches 100% reboots again and again.
Did the rooting procedure again but no change.

Help will be appreciated.

Simon

Z a p i x

Feb 2, 2011
England 2.0
lol, and a reason to post this! lol, sorry, nothing personal. Just having a flashback day. :p
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Your best chance for help would be here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831152

I think there should be a warning that the root injected method is a good way to get boned.
You're gonna have to flash a rom, and start over. Maybe if you have a nandroid backup that may work. Or try booting into CWM then wiping the cache, dalvik, and factory reset. Eitherway, check that thread. Search it. You'll find answers and more :)

Last edited:

aletheus

Oct 13, 2011
lol, and a reason to post this! lol, sorry, nothing personal. Just having a flashback day. :p
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Your best chance for help would be here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831152

I think there should be a warning that the root injected method is a good way to get boned.
You're gonna have to flash a rom, and start over. Maybe if you have a nandroid backup that may work. Or try booting into CWM then wiping the cache, dalvik, and factory reset. Eitherway, check that thread. Search it. You'll find answers and more :)

This is the first time I've ever seen root requiring a root-injected firmware flash. What happened to just flashing root from stock recovery??? I haven't rooted this thing yet because people are having so many problems..> I know this device has only been out for a month, but what's the hold up on a one-click root--or signed zip??

GT-P6800
GT-N8013

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let us be very clear, this is absolutely the wrong place for this thread - this is the Tab 10.1 section, not the Note 10.1 section, they are different devices.
    If your device doesn't have a section yet, you don't just pick one you like the look of, you use the Android General section.

However, in this case, as there will be a proper Note 10.1 section opened soon the thread can stay. I can see little point in moving it just so it can be moved again in a few days.

As for other threads about the Note 10.1, they should be started in the correct place or you should just hold off until the new section has been opened.
    Isn't there a Galaxy Note 10.1 section? This is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 section. Two different tablets.

No not yet til next week I spoke with svetius and he said next week they are adding one. I am thinking it has to do with the 15th most likely being the official release of it and not just the europe one and black version :D
    And what do you think about developing? In the first days there were not nearly as much roms for the 3G version of 10.1 than the wifi one, as in the US the vast majority owned the wifi one.

Not sure, time will only tell. I actually think 3G will be more popular since you can make calls now unlike tab 10.1 3G.
    Zedomax,
    please, my device is showing this error when i was trying to push the super SU on to it. I think it is because the binary counter has been tripped and it is showing this red triangle.

Kindly see the attachment.
    Many thanks for assisting.

View attachment 3343985

Hi,
    looks like you dont have cwm installed. Search for philz touch for your device and flash it with odin. After that go to recovery and install supersu.