• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Galaxy Note 4 / Edge blurry camera problem petition

Search This thread

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
Had the same blurry unable to focus issue with my camera that started to pop up a month after purchasing the phone. Turns out that if I tap the side of the phone, that would fix the focus right away. So definitely a hardware problem.

They are mailing me a replacement phone, crossing my fingers that this one is good

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Free mobile app

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
910G here, and plenty of non-blurry indoor shots of my 4 month old son.

due to crappy internet this has been compressed and re-uploaded to a file host, so the original was sharper
Capture403.jpg

Now of course - baby. he was NOT sitting still and i took 3-4 images and kept this one, because he was non-stop moving and 'talking'

'crawling' (he can only wobble around a lot) drooling, smiling baby indoors on artificial light. zoomed in.
Capture406.jpg

Reactions: LoTableT

LoTableT

Nov 23, 2010
La Spezia
910G here, and plenty of non-blurry indoor shots of my 4 month old son.

due to crappy internet this has been compressed and re-uploaded to a file host, so the original was sharper

Now of course - baby. he was NOT sitting still and i took 3-4 images and kept this one, because he was non-stop moving and 'talking'

'crawling' (he can only wobble around a lot) drooling, smiling baby indoors on artificial light. zoomed in.

I have this problem too with my son :D all of my photos are blurry.

That's really really annoying if i think i have spent a lot of money for this Note 4.

20150215_155457.jpg

Last edited:

Krieger0311

Feb 26, 2015
I have this problem too with my son :D all of my photos are blurry.

That's really really annoying if i think i have spent a lot of money for this Note 4.

Yours looks EXACTLY like mine. It is incredibly frustrating as I don't remember this being an issue until about a month ago. Outdoors the phone is great, rarely any blur no matter what is moving. Indoors I get what you see attached with even the slightest movement. Every single time. My note 2 never had this issue.

I'm also having battery and wifi issues with my Edge so I could just have a defective product. I have seen some say the camera issue is a hardware issue and to swap it out.... But those people never seem to post clear, indoor/low-light pictures and more seem to say the return made no difference. I hate how many pictures I've lost of my daughter do to them looking like this on a nine hundred dollar phone....

I haven't tried a reset yet since that seems hit or miss for some. I guess that will be my next stop before a replacement or selling it.

Attachments

• 20150223_211922.jpg
    20150223_211922.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 20150217_221206.jpg
    20150217_221206.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 20150206_194625.jpg
    20150206_194625.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 452

silverhunk

Dec 10, 2009
Yours looks EXACTLY like mine. It is incredibly frustrating as I don't remember this being an issue until about a month ago. Outdoors the phone is great, rarely any blur no matter what is moving. Indoors I get what you see attached with even the slightest movement. Every single time. My note 2 never had this issue.

I'm also having battery and wifi issues with my Edge so I could just have a defective product. I have seen some say the camera issue is a hardware issue and to swap it out.... But those people never seem to post clear, indoor/low-light pictures and more seem to say the return made no difference. I hate how many pictures I've lost of my daughter do to them looking like this on a nine hundred dollar phone....

I haven't tried a reset yet since that seems hit or miss for some. I guess that will be my next stop before a replacement or selling it.

It is because the camera app goes automatically to night mode when it detects low light

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
Try burst mode and delete the blurry pics. Been doing that on my N4 and seems to work out. Yes it's more work, but I get at least one good nonblurry shot

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Free mobile app

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
Are we possibly mixing up two different problems here?

Some people complain about the phone not focusing correctly.
Others have problems to get non-blurry shots from moving objects.

I've been using the Note (Snapdragon Version) for about 8 weeks now. The Lollipop update that I received lately improved the situation a lot.
But I still get blurry people, even in relatively bright conditions. They don't even move very fast. I was under the impression, that this is related to the shutter speed the phone uses.
It's not a manufacturing default or software issue. It's just how Samsung utilized the OIS. It's absolutely stunning for low-light images without any movement. But it's not optimal for moving objects.
Coming from an iPhone 6, this is even more painful. It is hands down the superior point and shoot camera.

electech13

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Oakville, Milton
Are we possibly mixing up two different problems here?

Some people complain about the phone not focusing correctly.
Others have problems to get non-blurry shots from moving objects.

I've been using the Note (Snapdragon Version) for about 8 weeks now. The Lollipop update that I received lately improved the situation a lot.
But I still get blurry people, even in relatively bright conditions. They don't even move very fast. I was under the impression, that this is related to the shutter speed the phone uses.
It's not a manufacturing default or software issue. It's just how Samsung utilized the OIS. It's absolutely stunning for low-light images without any movement. But it's not optimal for moving objects.
Coming from an iPhone 6, this is even more painful. It is hands down the superior point and shoot camera.
You are correct. The blurry photos from minimal movement is from Samsungs decision to go with a very slow shutter speed in the firmware, which is not adjustable in kk. LP that changes with the new API's and good photo apps will then allow you to adjust settings like this to be much faster thus solving the motion blur but in turn lowering the light into the image.

But this single issue or flaw or whatever you want to call it is basically my one and only major peev about this phone.
Such great hardware and even great camera hardware but Samsung really messed it up with this and makes general photo shooting on this a huge disappointment in certain situations... But in great light and when your subject(s) are immaculately still, the shots are amazing!...but alas, the real world doesn't work like that most of the time.. For *many* who use everyday camera phones they are taking quick, candid shots often indoors or in less the sunlight of things and people that aren't perfectly still and most phones pull this off fine but this beast of a phones fails at this task far too often..

jayesh

Jan 27, 2005
You are correct. The blurry photos from minimal movement is from Samsungs decision to go with a very slow shutter speed in the firmware, which is not adjustable in kk. LP that changes with the new API's and good photo apps will then allow you to adjust settings like this to be much faster thus solving the motion blur but in turn lowering the light into the image.

But this single issue or flaw or whatever you want to call it is basically my one and only major peev about this phone.
Such great hardware and even great camera hardware but Samsung really messed it up with this and makes general photo shooting on this a huge disappointment in certain situations... But in great light and when your subject(s) are immaculately still, the shots are amazing!...but alas, the real world doesn't work like that most of the time.. For *many* who use everyday camera phones they are taking quick, candid shots often indoors or in less the sunlight of things and people that aren't perfectly still and most phones pull this off fine but this beast of a phones fails at this task far too often..

Exactly all of the above. It's this attention to detail under all circumstances, that makes people fall in love with Apple's consistency, than their older hardware. They maximise all the situations you can use their aging 8 mp camera, to get great shots with without fiddling. Lots of others got far better hardware, but consistency? Yea that's the name of the game.

midreestaj

Dec 7, 2008
For people who are facing issue in low light taking pics of *Kids* specially; Or want non-blurry shots from moving objects in lower light
Try Shot & More Mode

It reduces resolution to 8MP but it will take as good pic as an iPhone 6 in similar situation. Try and see :D
You will have a string of 8 pics per click and it is THE BEST to capture lovely kids' changing expression and movements

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen

I was hoping for that to happen with the Lollipop release. But afaik, none of the big manufacturers chose to implement the camera API in their first Lollipop releases. I worry that Samsung might use this new API features to promote the S6 and set it apart from the Note. At least for the first quarter of its release.

I bought an iPhone 6+ again yesterday and am testing them both for camera quality. Preliminary result: it is very easy to get blurry pictures in lowlight with Apple hardware as well. I might follow up on this with a direct comparison later tomorrow.

electech13

Dec 17, 2011
For people who are facing issue in low light taking pics of *Kids* specially; Or want non-blurry shots from moving objects in lower light
Try Shot & More Mode

It reduces resolution to 8MP but it will take as good pic as an iPhone 6 in similar situation. Try and see :D
You will have a string of 8 pics per click and it is THE BEST to capture lovely kids' changing expression and movements
I and many have tried this and MUCH more.. Including sport mode, manual with high iso, etc, etc.. And can help a bit but still far from where it should be

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

I was hoping for that to happen with the Lollipop release. But afaik, none of the big manufacturers chose to implement the camera API in their first Lollipop releases. I worry that Samsung might use this new API features to promote the S6 and set it apart from the Note. At least for the first quarter of its release.

I bought an iPhone 6+ again yesterday and am testing them both for camera quality. Preliminary result: it is very easy to get blurry pictures in lowlight with Apple hardware as well. I might follow up on this with a direct comparison later tomorrow.
God I hope the official stock Sammy firmware for this has the api's to get around this or I just might ditch this phone... And I don't want to.. Love most everything else about it.. Have Nexus 6 too but use this more as I am so used to stylus and waiting for LP to get its few major flaws worked out before going full time LP.
I will be trying a S6 but doubt I'll keep as my daily.. My M8 is pretty sweet and the camera does just fine.. Had a one plus one for a month and that was really good too.. (I have good connection with dealer/distributor who gets me new phones at great prices to buy or sometimes to test for 2-8 weeks and give back or occasionally freebie demos or open boxes for return favours in pc tech work, etc... But this was one of the first phones in long time I dropped decent coin on to buy outright, actually most on any phone ever even at few hundred less then typical retail,making it a bit of a disappointment.)

Bottom line is most phones, even much older ones do general shooting in various conditions with practically little to no motion blur issue like this phone, heck my S3 I had for long time was MUCH better at this very thing then this phone and that's disappointing. Sure hope Sammy figures it out with LP!

midreestaj

Dec 7, 2008
I and many have tried this and MUCH more.. Including sport mode, manual with high iso, etc, etc.. And can help a bit but still far from where it should be

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Sure hope Sammy figures it out with LP!

I am well satisfied with this MOD shot & more as it fulfils my requirements removes blur and all. BTW camera is all the same in LP no changes in post processing as far as I have noticed. Sports mode is just not the right mode I have tested it specially for indoor environment for logical reasons

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
I can confirm that on the official 5.02 Samsung stock firmware, Lollipop Camera API has not been implemented. That's what I was referring to. No manufacturer has implemented the API so far.

What you should absolutely try on your phone: limit the pictures to 12 MP or even 8. I was never really able to shoot fast moving objects (tried cars passing by the kitchen windows) - even in broad daylight and sports mode.. I just tried it out again, and it works absolutely brilliant. I am completely stunned as to what this camera is actually capable of.

Reactions: midreestaj

midreestaj

Dec 7, 2008
What you should absolutely try on your phone: limit the pictures to 12 MP or even 8. I was never really able to shoot fast moving objects (tried cars passing by the kitchen windows) - even in broad daylight and sports mode.. I just tried it out again, and it works absolutely brilliant. I am completely stunned as to what this camera is actually capable of.
This...
On 8 MP blur is almost gone in low light even with moving persons, kids, objects etc. and that is the iPhone resolution actually what we are talking about. The details are almost on par with 16MP. You only loose the ability to crop

Sublation

Jan 5, 2013
I had spent many calls to support about it. Took it into a samsung store and doh, there were two plastic stickers on the lense. I had just taken the top one. The 2nd one was exactly the same size as the glass on the lens. And it was hard to get the edge up to pull it off.

no more blur.

I'm not saying that this is the problem everyone is having, but it's worth a double check.

electech13

Dec 17, 2011
I am well satisfied with this MOD shot & more as it fulfils my requirements removes blur and all. BTW camera is all the same in LP no changes in post processing as far as I have noticed. Sports mode is just not the right mode I have tested it specially for indoor environment for logical reasons
Shot and more mode will sometimes catch a picture that is ok but certainly doesn't solve the shutter issue. In most cases I get 8 blurries instead of one or I get a picture or two that may be ok.

Btw what model are you using because the firmware will be different is Exynos vs. Snapdragon, etc. Even though I doubt they will implement full api access in any LP releases it is possible.
I can confirm that on the official 5.02 Samsung stock firmware, Lollipop Camera API has not been implemented. That's what I was referring to. No manufacturer has implemented the API so far.

Stock LP firmware you are talking about has to be European and for Exynos models I assume, correct?
The NA Snapdragon variants could be different. Not likely but I'm hoping and I'm not sure if that has been confirmed yet but you're probably still going to be right and it won't.

So does this mean that we will probably never get proper manual controls or access to faster shutter ever? If so that is a major downer.

vprasad1

Jul 28, 2010
Google Nexus 10
Acer Iconia A500
Try Shot & More Mode

Where did you guys find Shot & More mode? Was that an Android 4.4.4 thing or is it available somewhere in Lollipop 5.0.1? In the Galaxy App Store all I see are:
Sports Shot
Surround Shot
Food Shot
Sound & Shot
Animated Photo
Sequence Shot

Default install only includes
Auto
Rear-cam Self
Panorama
Dual Camera

Are there any competitor phones that don't experience "motion blur"?

Also, can the mods clear the thread of the broad daylight "hur dur works for me" photo posts that aren't relevant to this thread?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If it was not already painfully obvious to any of us with children, the movement of subjects using both the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge camera results in CONSTANT blurry photos.

Yes, we have all tried sports mode. And we know about the rapid image capture trick which takes a bunch of photos we don't want, to get a single shot. We also know that the video can take an impressive 4K, and you can grab .png files from the video that are frozen. But, seriously, who does this?

This thread is meant to point out a serious flaw in the firmware of the Samsung OIS 16mp camera on the Galaxy Note 4 and Edge and Samsung knows it. We need to demand an update that handles the far to wide open Fstop that Samsung is using for normally lit environments, and give us a night mode selection for those shots we can manually turn on and off. I am tired of my kids looking like a blurry mess because they looked in a slightly different direction during every shot. It's not like I am complaining because they are running around the room created blurred images. This is far more common than it should be.

Anyone want to post their blurry pics of fully lit rooms, I will be joining you when I have a chance to upload them.

Cmon Samsung, fix the camera on your $800+ phone. Really sad since when their is zero movement in the image, the quality is pretty fantastic.

EDIT: If anyone can get any subject frozen in motion, please let me know. There may be some defective camera in these phones, but I have not seen any still shots in sports mode of any people caught in movement yet. None.
    I don't know about you but they are coming up very clear to me. This chick was going fast too.
    9e9c2e07a27c6e5c198202aca6f71a23.jpg
    I agree with your assessment. Also how can we speed up the shutter speed taking a picture with flash? I press the button and seconds later it takes the picture by then I've lost the shot.
    Sorry man I have to say I disagree. Every phone I have had, has been bad up until now. I was on HTC then jumped to samsung gs3 then gs4. This has been an issue for so long with all phones. In fact most people I know with Icrap phone will ask me to take the picture instead cuz they can't stand their camera on the iphone. This has been the first time I am satisfied with the camera. Just 3 days ago my daughter had a Christmas show at school and every picture was crystal clear even with all the kids moving. Yesterday too I took my daughters to a chris.as festival and the kids were playing in the fake snow. Again crystal clear. To add to that my wife was using her gs3 and could not get the shots. In fact she was aittle mad at me because I have a phone that takes good pictures and she doesn't. We also need to remember one this this is a cell phone to a thousand dollar nikon that is built to only take pictures. In the end this is a phone it is to answer and make calls and for it to take the picture that it does is amazing. They are almost better than my nikon and that thing is huge. Just my 2 centz.

5c3ac26844634c64cb90092d8073d590.jpg

A d these kids were moving and squirming all over the place.
    I disagree that there's a problem with the camera in the note 4. It's just the nature of an auto setting.

The low aperture allows for a higher shutter speed. Thus less motion blur.
    However, in low light situations with a fixed aperture, the iso will rise and shutter speed will drop naturally in an auto setting like on our phones.

And to the pper talking about shutter delay, when you use the flash on a cell phone it will always take a little longer. It sucks and I noticed the note 4 does have a slightly longer delay with the flash being used than some other phones.

If you want total control over all lighting situations and thus little to no motion blur, buy a dslr and some good lenses. You can't expect perfection from a cell phone.

EDIT: sorry, saw you were talking about normal lighting conditions after I posted. I haven't noticed a problem with this with mine in good lighting. My bad!

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app