Galaxy S Dead (not like the other ones)

Search This thread

Scag

Jul 24, 2010
Hi all guy's,
i have a realy strange problem , i tried to find a solution on this forum and on the net but i didn't find nothing :(
Today i was trying to change firmware by Odin (it was not my first time) , i used not my home pc ( like i did many time) but another one, opned odin, load the firmware , plugged in the galaxy in download mode and i clicked on start (obiviusly odin showed my galaxy s) but program stuck and on galaxy screen there wasn't the progress bar as usually. After five minutes i unplugged the phone and i rebooted it, on screen there was the computer and the phone with the yellow esclmation point.
i unplugged the battery and than i putted the galaxy s in download mode (vol down+ power+ home button), than i rebooted the pc, i deleted all the tons samsung modem drvier installed on windows xp (i think this was the problem of the bad flash on odin) , opend again odin, plugged the phone on the pc but nothing happned, the pc didn't recognized the phone (not like the others) , i connected the phone to usb to the computer and nothing happned how if i wouldn't connect nothing on pc. Obiviusly Odin didn't recognized the phone and kies also. I went on another pc , i installed kies , than odin, and i connected my phone and i had the same truble, when i conect my phone to the computers is like if i don't connect nothing, becouse nothing happen on computer. My galaxy go in download mode but the computer's don't recognize it!

rbanaco

Aug 9, 2010
did you try another usb cable? maybe your cable is damage... just covering solutions...

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
I don't think your galaxy is dead, as long as you can access the download mode you should be ok.

Try with different usb ports/cables/computers.

But it sounds most likely that your drivers aren't installed properly. You shouldn't have uninstalled them in the first place if they were working lol (it's unlikely the driver caused bad flash, it either works or it doesnt!)

scorpower

Aug 28, 2008
plug it in the computer without the battery or simcard or memorycard, do it in windows and not in Odin. Then try to connect to Odin.

Roy Ngan

Jun 27, 2010
Hi all guy's,
i have a realy strange problem , i tried to find a solution on this forum and on the net but i didn't find nothing :(
Today i was trying to change firmware by Odin (it was not my first time) , i used not my home pc ( like i did many time) but another one, opned odin, load the firmware , plugged in the galaxy in download mode and i clicked on start (obiviusly odin showed my galaxy s) but program stuck and on galaxy screen there wasn't the progress bar as usually. After five minutes i unplugged the phone and i rebooted it, on screen there was the computer and the phone with the yellow esclmation point.
i unplugged the battery and than i putted the galaxy s in download mode (vol down+ power+ home button), than i rebooted the pc, i deleted all the tons samsung modem drvier installed on windows xp (i think this was the problem of the bad flash on odin) , opend again odin, plugged the phone on the pc but nothing happned, the pc didn't recognized the phone (not like the others) , i connected the phone to usb to the computer and nothing happned how if i wouldn't connect nothing on pc. Obiviusly Odin didn't recognized the phone and kies also. I went on another pc , i installed kies , than odin, and i connected my phone and i had the same truble, when i conect my phone to the computers is like if i don't connect nothing, becouse nothing happen on computer. My galaxy go in download mode but the computer's don't recognize it!

I think you saw this wonderful picture
images

Welcome to SGS Bricked Club (unofficial) :D

Your phone is not dead, just bricked.

Do this
1. Re-install all your Kies to get SGS USB driver (you shouldn't have uninstall it in the first place)
2. Switch your phone to download mode
3. On Odin, select 512 pit (ONLY), and checked "Re-partition" option
4. Connect your phone and USB (remember, download mode first > Odin > USB Connect)
5. Click Start on Odin
6. Wait until Odin turn green with "SUCCESS"
7. Click Reset on Odin
8. flash what ever firmware you want, accordingly

Last edited:

SquidgyB

Oct 19, 2008
Newbury
Without trying to be too optimistic, as well as not being too much of a downer, I've had that particular "phone ! computer" screen a few times and not had any problems flashing with Odin later. Usually takes a couple of PC and phone reboots but like someone said, as long as you can get to the recovery (android at work) screen one way or another, you *should* be fine.

frankzan

Jan 13, 2009
I've got that problem also many times and have seen the "phone-to-pc" screen, too. Take a look into your Device Manager under modem before you plug in the phone. After you plugged in the phone is there a modem displayed? My Problem is that Windows change the Driver through CDMA Modem for Samsung and with that Driver odin doesn't work. I've managed that problem by changing the machine or the port for a new driver select.

PatcheZ

May 6, 2008
frak!!! krap! i think my phone is krapped out.
although i can get to download mode, i can not get to recovery mode
when you flash official firmware, are you supposed to flash with re-partition checked, the pit and the pda file all at once?
cuz i get stuck on...
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
the phone's screen turns off... and remains 'off'

if only pit and pda file are used, it gets stuck on...
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs
<ID:0/004> dbdata.rfs
with the screen turns all green... and freezes

Last edited:

PatcheZ

May 6, 2008
great.... sometimes from recovery it would goes blue or pink screen and freeze.
anyone got any tips or ideas?

dumb... after 6 hours of fiddling... the one thing i didn't do was try on a different usb input.

however, i still can not explain the green, blue, or pink freeze screens

ps. thanks roy, your help and concern helped me profoundly (seriously)

Last edited:

Roy Ngan

Jun 27, 2010
frak!!! krap! i think my phone is krapped out.
although i can get to download mode, i can not get to recovery mode
when you flash official firmware, are you supposed to flash with re-partition checked, the pit and the pda file all at once?
cuz i get stuck on...
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
the phone's screen turns off... and remains 'off'

if only pit and pda file are used, it gets stuck on...
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs
<ID:0/004> dbdata.rfs
with the screen turns all green... and freezes
sorry to hear this mate, I personally never experience this.

Mind share your Odin setup for flashing?

Scag

Jul 24, 2010
ok guy's some of you didn't focus my problem (maybe becouse of my crap english) anyway the problem wasn't how to go in download mode but the problem was another one, once i was in download mode the computer didn't recognize the phone, it was like if i wouldn't put nothing in the usb, and well it wasn't a usb clabel, usb port, driver or some other things but it was soemthing fuked up with my phone.
The following procedure is not needed if you have some problem with driver but only if your computer defintly don't show nothing when u plug the phone in download mode after a bad flash.
Turn off the phone and unplug the battery, connect the phone to the computer, wait a minute than click the 3 keys for put the phone in download mode (vol down+home+power) and plug in the battery. Your computer should recognize soemthing and u will be able with the correct driver and Odin program to flash the phone again. Your phone should be usb connected all the time or the procedure don't work.

I have another bug now :( and i don't know if it's related to the firmware(i tried on jm6 and jm7) or there is something wrong with my phone usb.
When i turn on my phone randomly don't work the sound selection on the menu and when i tap the number on the phone keyboard. If i plug in the phone on the pc i'm not able to use kies or other things like mass storage but on the phone start the music player (like if i would plug in the headphone) and the bug get fix.
When the bug come if i not plug in the phone on the computer the ringtone work if i get a call but n the phone there is the handsfree option activate.
I don't know what to do and i hope u understand my problem even if my english sux hard :p
Thanks for your attenction

EDIT: guy's the bug is not related to the firmware (i didn't have it first of yesterday), i tried now the jg5 and i still to have the same problem as on the jm6 and jm7 , sometimes randomly the button sounds don't work when i'm in the menu or when i'm making a telephon number even if the option is enable in the menu. for fix it how i write up herei need plug in the phone cable on the computer or turn off and than turn in again till it get fix.

Last edited:

zenopetrea

Mar 20, 2009
Madrid
hI,
i BRING UP A NEW PROBLEM THAT I AM MY SELF INTO.
As many of you i used odin to flash my room but this time i used an odin called "I897UCJI6-OCD-REV02-Low",everithing looks fine after flashing but is not,in phone info shows that my model is samsung SGH-i897,and every time i try to charge or connect via usb the phone turns off,doesn't go in download or recovery mode, basically is dead couse i cannot change nothing and the phone buttons does not have the same function.
How can i go back to galaxy s?
PLEASE,HELPPPP!
DETAILES OF ROOM ARE:
PDA: I897UCJI6
PHONE: I897UCJI6
CSC: I897ATTJF6
FIRMWARE VERSION 2.2
KERNEL VERSION : 2.6.32.9 - JETAEK.LEE@SEP- 11 #1
FROYO.UCJI6

Last edited:

compuse

Oct 21, 2008
You haven't got a captivate then?

the proper ROM wouldn't be on this forum but the captivate's one, but when guessing you're actually in possession of a i9000m; why not a i9000 rom from the i9000 section?

cos a i897 is a galaxy captivate, doesn't seems wrong when you have one? =/

dupel

Jun 2, 2010
London
hI,
As many of you i used odin to flash my room but this time i used an odin called "I897UCJI6-OCD-REV02-Low",everithing looks fine after flashing but is not,in phone info shows that my model is samsung SGH-i897,and every time i try to charge or connect via usb the phone turns off,doesn't go in download or recovery mode, basically is dead couse i cannot change nothing and the phone buttons does not have the same function.
PLEASE,HELPPPP!
DETAILES OF ROOM ARE:
FIRMWARE VERSION 2.2
FROYO.UCJI6

And once again epic fail.

Your phone is bricked now, go and exchange it.

zenopetrea

Mar 20, 2009
Madrid
Thanks guys,
What is bad is,that every time i try to connect with usb or charger the phone turns off and nothing shows on the screen,once i remove the cable the phone turns on normaly.Maybe i can still go in download mode by changing the configuration of the buttons,couse cativante has 4 buttons and galaxy 3,the think is that home button has no function and back touch button become home thats way i cannot go into download mode no home button.If nothing will work i gues i have to follow Jonsat's advice.I still have hope that someone nows and shares with as.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

Iacopo91

Mar 22, 2010
hI,
PLEASE,HELPPPP!
DETAILES OF ROOM ARE:
FIRMWARE VERSION 2.2
FROYO.UCJI6

Man, i have an idea:

1) Download z4root from market, root ur phone;
2) Download Rom Manager and flash recovery;
3) Download a Rom in which u have the extend power menu;
4) Flash Rom;
5) Boot into Rom and enter in the extend power menu;
6) From the extended power menu press "Reboot into download mode";
7) Flash from Odin.

PS: if your power menu button doesn't go well u should download from the market apps that emulate the power button menu!
:D:D

I know it's a crazy idea but in my opinion you should try!

kocj

Apr 17, 2009
ok guy's some of you didn't focus my problem (maybe becouse of my crap english) anyway the problem wasn't how to go in download mode but the problem was another one, once i was in download mode the computer didn't recognize the phone, it was like if i wouldn't put nothing in the usb, and well it wasn't a usb clabel, usb port, driver or some other things but it was soemthing fuked up with my phone.
The following procedure is not needed if you have some problem with driver but only if your computer defintly don't show nothing when u plug the phone in download mode after a bad flash.
Turn off the phone and unplug the battery, connect the phone to the computer, wait a minute than click the 3 keys for put the phone in download mode (vol down+home+power) and plug in the battery. Your computer should recognize soemthing and u will be able with the correct driver and Odin program to flash the phone again. Your phone should be usb connected all the time or the procedure don't work.

I have exactly the same problem, the pc recognize the phone just as unkown device.

Witch driver do I need to get Odin to work?

Thanks in advance

PCdumb

Jan 18, 2011
I need some help here. My phone went dead during charging yesterday..... it was fine one moment and last check was at 80%. Then about 10 min later when I wanted to unplu & use... it was not responding at all. Noticed that the phone was rather warm as well.

I've been running "Insane" kernel for a week with overclock to 1200 and under volt about -75 across the board. Did I fry the chip???

Phone is not respondingf at all. Doesn't charge, cannot boot, cannot do into download or recovery mode, PC does not even see it when plugged in, pulled battery & re-insert does not help.

What other options do I have??? Last resort is to bring back to the service centre, but I'm afraid that they will not give warranty for it if checked that I have an "Insane" kernel.

Advise & feedback please. Any other areas to check?