Galaxy S IV, New Mali GPU.

Search This thread

Bowsa2511

Jul 30, 2010
After being embarrassed by the iPhone's PowerVX SGX543 GPU, I do hope Samsung regains the crown in performance and see this with the new MALI GPUs slated for the Galaxy S Line.

What's probably going to be used in the Galaxy S III?

The Mali T604

The Mali-T604 was announced last year and it's the first implementation of ARM's new Midgard architecture. The T604 appears to be ARM's first unified shader architecture. Each T604 core is a combination of two arithmetic pipes and one texture pipe, although the width and capabilities of each are unknown. Like the Mali-400, the Mali-T604 will be available in 1 - 4 core configurations. The first T604 based SoCs will be available in the second half of 2012 on 28/32nm silicon. ARM is promising up to 68 GFLOPS of compute from T604 (presumably that's for a 4-core configuration at high clocks.

But that's not the Juicy part.. what I'm excited for is the GALAXY S IV!!! (If we're all still alive by that time)

It boasts the MALI-T658 GPU!

The T658 is a second generation Midgard implementation with twice the arithmetic pipes per core compared to the T604. ARM also enables up to 8-core configurations with T658. We'll see the first T658 implementations on 28/32nm sometime in 2013. It's unclear what other architectural changes have been made compared to the T604, but at bare minimum we can hope for a doubling of execution resources. ARM is promising up to a 10x increase in performance compared to "mainstream" Mali-400 implementations (perhaps single-core Mali-400).

Did you see that? 8 freaking cores!

One can just imagine what tech we have by then.

Probably the following:

• Super Amoled + HD
  • 1.5 ghz Quad-core
  • Octo-core GPU

My God.

Last edited: