• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Galaxy S10+ from Galaxy S5 Questions

Search This thread

arkane78

Jan 5, 2013
I'm a little late to the S10 party, but recently my trusty S5 started to really show it's age - so I decided to go for the S10+ (I'm still waiting for it to arrive).
It's a S10+ 512GB ceramic black (unlocked - international model - UK market).

I guess I have a couple of questions that I'm not entirely sure are 'relevant' these days - given the S5 is the newest phone I've ever had and it's on Android 6.

My S5 is rooted - I did this only to enable full app data backups using Titanium Backup. Anything else important is backed up using Smart Switch or other non-root solutions (although that's more habit than necessity).

So my first question is - how would I restore the app data from the S5 to the S10? I'm assuming that using Titanium Backup (and subsequently rooting my S10+ is the way to go) - but as I'm so out of touch with all this, I thought it best to ask others who'd know the answer :)

I plan to use Smart Switch to handle the majority of migration from my S5 to S10 (unless there's a better way) - but losing the app data from the S5 isn't something I'd like to deal with - I'd like to migrate and go, without having to reconfigure or set-up apps all over again if possible.

This brings me to rooting the S10+ - aside from Titanium Backup usage - is there any real need to root phones now? Does Android actually handle app data backups better than it did - or is this still an issue and having a 3rd party solution (and rooting the phone) still the way to go?

(I like to have backups of my phone, I don't use any kind of cloud based services - backups are done on the handset itself and transferred to PC usually)

*If* rooting the S10+ is the way to go (to allow me to restore my Titanium Backups and would allow me to continue backing up the app data locally) - then my next question is how I'd go about doing that - I've seen there's an app called Magicsk which can do this. I've used cf-auto-root for my S5 and this was a simple and straightforward process but I'm guessing things have moved on somewhat.

Any help or support would be greatly appreciated as I feel a little out of my depth (I last moved from an S3 to an S5 and had far less apps installed - so doing it all from scratch wasn't an issue).

I hope you all have a good week and stay safe out there :)

Vatt`ghern

Oct 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Rooting is not worth it anymore in my opinion, and you lose some functionality on a hardware level after you root (the efuse inside the phone blows up which changes the knox status). If you root only to do backups (which never really worked for me) it's not worth it all the more. I kinda regret rooting after some years. Unless you want to use LOS, which is also not worth it (with all due respect to people developing and using it, you are awesome). If I were you, I would just spend an additional hour or two to set things up, especially because the android version difference is kinda vast and migration might not be possible.

arkane78

Jan 5, 2013
Rooting is not worth it anymore in my opinion, and you lose some functionality on a hardware level after you root (the efuse inside the phone blows up which changes the knox status). If you root only to do backups (which never really worked for me) it's not worth it all the more. I kinda regret rooting after some years. Unless you want to use LOS, which is also not worth it (with all due respect to people developing and using it, you are awesome). If I were you, I would just spend an additional hour or two to set things up, especially because the android version difference is kinda vast and migration might not be possible.
Thanks for this - I did wonder - given the difference in Android version, whether setting up from scratch might be a better option. I guess I could look on it as an excuse to clean out anything I didn't actually need :)

arkane78

Jan 5, 2013
I wonder how others handle their app-data backups, or even if they back this up at all?
I'm assuming that app-data backups are still a bit of a mess without root?