Galaxy S10 LED Notification Replacement

Search This thread

steelersmb

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the update. The only thing that I see that would be nice is to have the ability to create the swirl instead of a solid line.

akersch

Apr 8, 2019
Thanks for the update. The only thing that I see that would be nice is to have the ability to create the swirl instead of a solid line.

Unfortunately that's just not possible on the AOD. I have tried it in many different ways but because the AOD is meant to conserve battery, it does not show animations of that nature. I have seen gifs and other things on the AOD before, but it's a special thing that is specifically locked down for Samsung. In the newest version of Android, changing this setting is not possible. Google has decided that certain settings should no longer be accessible in order to help with privacy, instead of fixing the actual problem they just put a band aid on it and cut developers off at the knees.

I will keep trying and if I find a way to do it, I will of course add it to the app.

Reactions: SalamiQueen

steelersmb

Aug 10, 2010
Unfortunately that's just not possible on the AOD. I have tried it in many different ways but because the AOD is meant to conserve battery, it does not show animations of that nature. I have seen gifs and other things on the AOD before, but it's a special thing that is specifically locked down for Samsung. In the newest version of Android, changing this setting is not possible. Google has decided that certain settings should no longer be accessible in order to help with privacy, instead of fixing the actual problem they just put a band aid on it and cut developers off at the knees.

I will keep trying and if I find a way to do it, I will of course add it to the app.

Holey Light does this.

akersch

Apr 8, 2019
Holey Light does this.

Holey Light violates Google's terms of services and they are in direct violation of the Google and Samsung licensing agreements. There has already been a complaint submitted to Google in regard to this. You will also note that Holey Light has not been updated since April 25, probably because the developer was asked to stop. Holey Light has an open source git that shows how they are circumventing Google's restrictions, so while it is technically possible, it is not legally or ethically possible. So, for the time being, my app will not have animations on the AOD until such a time that I can find a way to do it legally, ethically, and in a battery-conscience way.

lockexxv

Jul 18, 2016
Spoke with you in the reviews section and you linked me here. The character limit there is rough going! :p

So, my bug report I was attempting to deliver over there was that when I download the app and install it and go through the setup, it goes smoothly and I get it setup to how I want and it works. However, if I go into any menu that "LED Me Know" uses for its functionality AFTER it's setup and working, it bungles up and permissions get wonky.

For example, the app was working fine but I had to go into the lock screen settings for a separate reason (to remove shortcut icons), and once I made my changes, the "LED Me Know" notifications weren't working anymore. When I went into the app, I noticed it changed my rectangle light from having round corners to sharp edge corners. I had to adjust the curve slider, and the settings didn't save (when I went back into the app after making the changes, it was like I never made the changes at all).

Another change was that I have all APPS toggled to "OFF" in the menu, and only have Messages and Phone to "On." So long as I don't make any changes in lock screen settings, or AOD settings, those will stay. However, it seems once you access any menus of the phone's default OS that is being used by "LED Me Know," then "LED Me Know" will uncheck everything (including Messages and Phone) in the list.

When these problems start happening, nothing seems to fix it. I can go in there and make changes, but they don't take. Restarting the phone or full power cycling the phone does nothing for any of these errors. I am using Galaxy S10+ and it's brand new (just got it a week ago today). I don't have any other apps installed that could interfere, but I -did- try using "Always On Edge," "Holey Light," and "Good Lock" with "EdgeLighting+" through Galaxy Store first. Those are completely uninstalled but I don't know if they left behind any "breadcrumbs" that would effect this somehow.

Also minor suggestion for the app: It doesn't show navigation buttons on the bottom when in the app (like home), which makes getting in and out of the app a bit cumbersome. Also if you added a "save settings" button to the app it might make a difference or something?

Hope it's clear, it's a bit difficult to explain. No matter the case, I still rate the app 5/5 stars because it does exactly what I need. It's a little hard on the battery, even with AOD set to hidden, but it's worth it. I absolutely have to have notifications because I just don't carry my phone around 24/7, and like to see it flashing if someone tried contacting me when I was away from it.

akersch

Apr 8, 2019
Spoke with you in the reviews section and you linked me here. The character limit there is rough going! :p

So, my bug report I was attempting to deliver over there was that when I download the app and install it and go through the setup, it goes smoothly and I get it setup to how I want and it works. However, if I go into any menu that "LED Me Know" uses for its functionality AFTER it's setup and working, it bungles up and permissions get wonky.

For example, the app was working fine but I had to go into the lock screen settings for a separate reason (to remove shortcut icons), and once I made my changes, the "LED Me Know" notifications weren't working anymore. When I went into the app, I noticed it changed my rectangle light from having round corners to sharp edge corners. I had to adjust the curve slider, and the settings didn't save (when I went back into the app after making the changes, it was like I never made the changes at all).

Another change was that I have all APPS toggled to "OFF" in the menu, and only have Messages and Phone to "On." So long as I don't make any changes in lock screen settings, or AOD settings, those will stay. However, it seems once you access any menus of the phone's default OS that is being used by "LED Me Know," then "LED Me Know" will uncheck everything (including Messages and Phone) in the list.

When these problems start happening, nothing seems to fix it. I can go in there and make changes, but they don't take. Restarting the phone or full power cycling the phone does nothing for any of these errors. I am using Galaxy S10+ and it's brand new (just got it a week ago today). I don't have any other apps installed that could interfere, but I -did- try using "Always On Edge," "Holey Light," and "Good Lock" with "EdgeLighting+" through Galaxy Store first. Those are completely uninstalled but I don't know if they left behind any "breadcrumbs" that would effect this somehow.

Also minor suggestion for the app: It doesn't show navigation buttons on the bottom when in the app (like home), which makes getting in and out of the app a bit cumbersome. Also if you added a "save settings" button to the app it might make a difference or something?

Hope it's clear, it's a bit difficult to explain. No matter the case, I still rate the app 5/5 stars because it does exactly what I need. It's a little hard on the battery, even with AOD set to hidden, but it's worth it. I absolutely have to have notifications because I just don't carry my phone around 24/7, and like to see it flashing if someone tried contacting me when I was away from it.

Wow, that is quite bizarre behavior, I will absolutely see if that happens on my own device (S10) later today. It could be something you have installed, or like you said, breadcrumb remnants of another app, but I will do my due diligence and see if it's a bug. I would recommend for now uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that fixes the issues, as you said nothing else seems to fix it right now.

The reason the app doesn't show the bottom navigation is because the app is built as a fullscreen app (like how a game or fullscreen video doesn't show the buttons, you have to swipe over to see them). This is because I want the preview setting to be able to display anywhere on the screen, just as it would be able to when the device is locked, and that can't happen if the app is not fullscreen.

A save settings button is not necessary as any time a setting is changed, it automatically saves, no need to click a button. However, I do have on my todo list to add a feature that allows you to export (and of course import) your settings so you can save them off, share them, send them to another device, or if you want to reinstall the app, so look for that feature soon!

I agree that the battery usage is not ideal and I'm always trying to optimize the app. Just like you said, I can't live without the LED so when I bought the S10 and discovered there was no hardware LED, I was quite upset. I'm glad you find as much usage from my app as I do, and please do continue sending me feedback, I'm very happy to consider any and all requests. Thanks again!

Reactions: lockexxv

lockexxv

Jul 18, 2016
I would recommend for now uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that fixes the issues, as you said nothing else seems to fix it right now.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is the only thing that fixes it, and it seems I have to do it multiple times a day if I am tinkering with settings. Today is a new bug, though. I shut my phone down (after LED Me Know had been working perfect since I posted here yesterday) to install a screen protector. When I booted it back up, the Always On Display was showing (I had it set to hidden through your app) and it wasn't the Edge Clock that I had selected (also as your app recommended), but the full clock... and you guessed it, LED Me Know is not showing notifications since I went back into it and set it back to Edge Clock. Time to reinstall again!

I wonder if there's an Android app that can search for remnants of uninstalled apps. I'd hate to have to factory reset and try again, but I'm getting to that point.

akersch

Apr 8, 2019
Uninstalling and reinstalling is the only thing that fixes it, and it seems I have to do it multiple times a day if I am tinkering with settings. Today is a new bug, though. I shut my phone down (after LED Me Know had been working perfect since I posted here yesterday) to install a screen protector. When I booted it back up, the Always On Display was showing (I had it set to hidden through your app) and it wasn't the Edge Clock that I had selected (also as your app recommended), but the full clock... and you guessed it, LED Me Know is not showing notifications since I went back into it and set it back to Edge Clock. Time to reinstall again!

I wonder if there's an Android app that can search for remnants of uninstalled apps. I'd hate to have to factory reset and try again, but I'm getting to that point.

Wow, yea i hate to say it but a factory reset might be necessary. I've never heard of any of these issues before and I restart my phone all the time. Definitely see what you can find and maybe there's another app screwing with it. As i mentioned in a previous post, Holey Light violates Google's terms of use so it's possible that even after uninstalling, it could still be changing settings behind the scenes. I'll also see what I can find out about cleaning up uninstalled apps but as far as I know, there's not much to be done unfortunately.

lockexxv

Jul 18, 2016
Wow, yea i hate to say it but a factory reset might be necessary. I've never heard of any of these issues before and I restart my phone all the time. Definitely see what you can find and maybe there's another app screwing with it. As i mentioned in a previous post, Holey Light violates Google's terms of use so it's possible that even after uninstalling, it could still be changing settings behind the scenes. I'll also see what I can find out about cleaning up uninstalled apps but as far as I know, there's not much to be done unfortunately.

Since I've only had the phone a week, a reset isn't bad right now. I remember how to change the things I want changed so I'll do that and report back later. :cool:

Last edited:

lockexxv

Jul 18, 2016
I hope you don't have a bigger issue with the phone like a lemon, but please do let me know if that works for you.

All back to how I had it, with LED Me Know installed. The only thing I noticed is that I had to adjust the settings for the ring around the camera several times. I'd get it perfect size, and back out, and then it'd be off a few pixels. So I'd go back, and do it again, and it would keep happening. It seems like it tries to "auto scale" the curve setting a bit with the rest of the sliders, and maybe that throws it off? Because my wife and I both have Galaxy S10's and I noticed the max curvature on her settings can only go to 42, while mine was 47. Then when I opened it back up, it was 43. Some strange behavior going on in that particular slider range.

That being said, the app seems to be working as intended the rest of the way now. Time will tell I suppose.

One thing with factory resetting this phone, is I noticed it reminded me to do a few things that I don't recall it doing last time, like updating Always On Display and updating Lockscreen. I don't recall ever seeing that auto update, and I definitely didn't think about manually updating those apps, so maybe those two apps were out of date? Either way, phone is nice and clean now and no traces of "Always On Edge," "Holey Light," or "Good Lock w/EdgeLighting+" so hopefully no more conflicts. As always, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the tremendous app. :) Definitely get those settings import/export features done, that would have saved a ton of time in this situation :p

akersch

Apr 8, 2019
All back to how I had it, with LED Me Know installed. The only thing I noticed is that I had to adjust the settings for the ring around the camera several times. I'd get it perfect size, and back out, and then it'd be off a few pixels. So I'd go back, and do it again, and it would keep happening. It seems like it tries to "auto scale" the curve setting a bit with the rest of the sliders, and maybe that throws it off? Because my wife and I both have Galaxy S10's and I noticed the max curvature on her settings can only go to 42, while mine was 47. Then when I opened it back up, it was 43. Some strange behavior going on in that particular slider range.

That being said, the app seems to be working as intended the rest of the way now. Time will tell I suppose.

One thing with factory resetting this phone, is I noticed it reminded me to do a few things that I don't recall it doing last time, like updating Always On Display and updating Lockscreen. I don't recall ever seeing that auto update, and I definitely didn't think about manually updating those apps, so maybe those two apps were out of date? Either way, phone is nice and clean now and no traces of "Always On Edge," "Holey Light," or "Good Lock w/EdgeLighting+" so hopefully no more conflicts. As always, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the tremendous app. :) Definitely get those settings import/export features done, that would have saved a ton of time in this situation :p

The radius value changes based on the values of the width and height. As for the moving, that's Samsung preventing burn-in. I would say make the ring a bit thicker, I have no problem with it moving around and my thickness is the default.

I'm glad you have it working now, please let me know what else you find and other ideas you have. I am still finalizing other languages right now and expect to have that out by Wednesday or Thursday. I think the import/export settings will be next and I understand your frustration, so I will continue working on the app diligently. As always, thanks for your support and feedback!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got tired of waiting for Samsung to issue an update to the Galaxy S10 series that uses the hole punch as the LED Notification light, so I made an app myself. It displays while the screen is OFF and you can customize the shape, size, and location of the notification LED. I am currently working on updating the app to support more features, customization options, and stabilization. Enjoy!

The latest update, v1.3, is currently rolling out. Please update the app when it is available for fixes to dismissing notifications, ignoring static notifications, and of course, charging! (charging customization features coming soon)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anker.ledmeknow

Features currently in development:
    - Charging style
    -> Color
    -> Animation
    -> Shape, size, location

- App-specific customization
    -> Enable/disable app
    -> App-specific notification color
    -> App-specific notification style (shape, size, location)

- General animation styles
    -> (Solid blinking (current))
    -> Timing customization (how often does it blink/spin/bounce, etc)
    -> Solid always (will risk burn-in, but was requested)
    -> Spinning
    -> Bouncing
    -> (etc)

- Deep-sleep mode -> may not work properly, will investigate

Bug fixes to be fixed:
    - AOD clock displays after a couple minutes, even if "Hide AOD" is enabled
    - Charging animation still displays when screen turns on
    - LED shows even after dismissing notification
    - Static notifications trigger LED
    Thank you for your app. Looks very cool. Does it include battery charging/full LED notification?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

It does now! :D Please update the app and see that when charging the LED will be red, followed by green for fully charged. Charging style (color, shape, animation, etc) are currently in development, stay tuned!
    The new version 1.4 rolling out now allows you to customize which apps show the notification LED, as well as customize each app's color. Enjoy!
    Very nice, hide AOD feature is a very good idea !
    I donate btw...

I set the "led" as a circle juste beside the notch, it's perfect!

I hope It will be possible the exclude some app, the LastPass persistent notification is annoying ...

Thank you so much for your support and generous donation!! I'm so glad you like my app.

The customization of which apps display is in development, right behind finishing the baseline led style and charging style/animation. I expect to get to the customization of which apps display (and in what way) by next weekend.

I'm truly working on this in every free moment I have so please bear with me as I complete tasks as quickly as I can, thanks!
    Great suggestion, I will post some pics and a short video later today, along with the apk.
    I will post some pics and a short video later today, along with the apk.
    Here is short video hope you solve this.

Yes, that issue came to my attention earlier today via a Google Play rating. I believe it is caused by the pixel density on the device. I developed the application with the highest screen resolution set to WQHD+ 3040X1440. I will update the app with a screen density check which should solve this issue. I will also be adding a customization feature that lets you adjust the exact location of the light. Thank you for your feedback!