Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4S

Search This thread

bholloway

Jan 26, 2009
I ordered an iPhone 4s because my contract was up with AT&T, but I'm thinking of selling it. I'm using an iPhone 4 right now and I really see very little reason to upgrade except for Siri.

I actually did read an interesting article on morningstar about why the apple stock will increase in the long run, even though people aren't initially impressed with the iPhone. Basically it just said that historically apple has come under criticism for releasing products that the public wasn't initially interested in. For instance when the first ipad came out, I remember there being a lot of talk about how expensive the iPad was and how no one would ever buy one because a laptop made more sense. Look at how the iPad is doing now.

While I'm fairly indifferent on the cell phones I use, I do agree that apple tends to bring out products that revolutionize what the consumer needs instead of what they necessarily want to have. Only time will tell if that's the case with siri, but from what I've seen so far it's pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how far it advances.

hungry81

Apr 23, 2009
Originally Posted by DPMAce Even though I would never get an iphone, I can still appreciate it, just like I can appreciate Steve Jobs.

If there wasn't an iphone, there wouldn't be the s2, or the HD2 I'm using now.

iphone set the standard, and samsung is trying very hard to beat it, or at least emulate it hehe.

And because of the s2, and all the other high quality androids, the price of the iphone has come down, to where even someone lower middle class can afford one somehow. And I believe the specs are alot better on this newest iphone than they would have been if there weren't any top android phones.

So I don't see why the fanboyism is so strong, when competition drives down price, and increases quality. Aren't we all consumers on this forum?
biggrin.gif

His point is rediculous in that even if apple had not released the iPhone smartphones would still exist. Whether or not the phones would be better or worse without apple Is pure opinion and speculation. Yeah I'm happy with my hd2 as it is today. That does not mean I would be unhappy with my device in whatever hypothetical universe apple hadn't scammed people into believing its crap. All the features in apple devices were being used in others before apple came along.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
His point is rediculous in that even if apple had not released the iPhone smartphones would still exist. Whether or not the phones would be better or worse without apple Is pure opinion and speculation. Yeah I'm happy with my hd2 as it is today. That does not mean I would be unhappy with my device in whatever hypothetical universe apple hadn't scammed people into believing its crap. All the features in apple devices were being used in others before apple came along.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA Premium App
That's an illogical argument. Only one device is what Apple brought all those features together into. And the mobile capacitive display was not being used prior to the iPhone. Not only that, but myself and everyone around me and all I knew were glad to finally have a decent phone. The crap we had been enduring until the iPhone was horrible. I don't know how it was in other parts of the world, but here in America, the rich and powerful feed us full of pure ****e and squeeze us dry of every drop of money for it. Thanks to Apple and Steve Jobs, we no longer have to suffer that. Because of Apple, the rest of the industry had to get off their lazy butts and actually put out decent products. HTC included.

AnasNazeer

Oct 6, 2010
Karachi
my father was thinking of getting the sgs 2 but it was costly , but he said he would buy it over the iphone4 (4s still not here and prob. would cost an arm and leg)

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
That's an illogical argument. Only one device is what Apple brought all those features together into. And the mobile capacitive display was not being used prior to the iPhone. Not only that, but myself and everyone around me and all I knew were glad to finally have a decent phone. The crap we had been enduring until the iPhone was horrible. I don't know how it was in other parts of the world, but here in America, the rich and powerful feed us full of pure ****e and squeeze us dry of every drop of money for it. Thanks to Apple and Steve Jobs, we no longer have to suffer that. Because of Apple, the rest of the industry had to get off their lazy butts and actually put out decent products. HTC included.

Prada phone was capacitive before the iphone.

DPMAce

Feb 12, 2011
Cleveland

my point exactly. I remember before the iphone, almost every smart phone required you to buy their proprietary headphones just to listen to music.

Trev186

Jul 16, 2010
I agree the iPhone is a great phone. I just don't like apple trying to erradicate the platform I prefer. I am sure the fanboy arguments would die if that were the case.

In other news I upgraded my Evo 3d to a S2 today :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

spirikitik

Jun 3, 2011
S2 is great but in 3 months there will be a new model coming and your S2 will be old school, on iPhone you are guranteed 1yr of no new model release so bang for the buck?

Trev186

Jul 16, 2010
S2 is great but in 3 months there will be a new model coming and your S2 will be old school, on iPhone you are guranteed 1yr of no new model release so bang for the buck?

I don't care about the money I want the specs. Did I mention I upgraded from an evo 3d to a s2 ...the evo 3d already has more specs then the iPhone.

IPhone can't do a lot of things I do with my phone so it would be a waste of my time.

Also the rate carriers restrict the influx of new phones the S2 should hold me over for a year. It was announced in FEB and did not get released here until freaking September .....

And spec wise the iPhone 4s released old school

Gusar321

May 5, 2011
And the mobile capacitive display was not being used prior to the iPhone.
One, it was. But you conveniently keep forgetting that this little thing called LG Prada existed.
Two, there's nothing magical about capacitive. The Nokia N770/N800/N810 have a finger-touch interface despite their screens being resistive. Not to mention the Neonode N1m, with it's "swipe-to-unlock" gesture.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Aaaand, here we go again... So what if a new model will be out? S2 won't suddenly become a worse phone because of it. It'll still be just as good a phone as it is today. This is some really weird mentality that's going on around here lately. I would actually see "one year of no new model" as a minus, not a plus.
Though I'm starting to get it... You people don't see the phone as a tool that makes a few things in life a bit easier. You see it as something to use as posturing. Or, if I'm direct, as penis enlargement.

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Great points!
I chose the s2 over the iphone because with the iphone you have to wait an eternity for anything new to come out and there is no comparison when it comes to customizing your phone. Android for the win!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Skv012a

Jun 19, 2008
MD
Sony Xperia 5 IV

But who said you'd WANT the new model? All in all, everything they added in S2, at least personally, is the peak of what I'd want in a portable fun thingy. Say like 1.6ghz or some new 2.0ghz dual core cpu? Who cares? You already carry a DUAL-friggin-CORE device that's thinner than your wallet.

I say, take the Apple approach to better products, sit back, and enjoy.

Trev186

Jul 16, 2010
But who said you'd WANT the new model? All in all, everything they added in S2, at least personally, is the peak of what I'd want in a portable fun thingy. Say like 1.6ghz or some new 2.0ghz dual core cpu? Who cares? You already carry a DUAL-friggin-CORE device that's thinner than your wallet.

I say, take the Apple approach to better products, sit back, and enjoy.

If a phone came out clocked at 2 ghz per core and a new emulator came out that needed more power to run I would buy it.

Either that or more internal memory or double the ram.

Although since Sdxc works on android ill just wait on memory until my 64 GB sdxc card is replaced by a 128 GB one

Dxtra

May 27, 2010
iPhone fanboys go away. ModMyI is still open for discussion. LoL . That's like me arguing with a youngen that thinks and swear up and down that Kias cars are better then lets say Nissan, acura or anything of a higher class. The iPhone is a good phone just not for me, boring, same freaking minor hardware update ones a year, that tiny screen drives me insane when I look at it could care less if it has a thousand pixel too freaking small. You iPhone fanboys just don't understand the words FREEDOM, CHOICES, COMPETITION. Siri what a flap. The majority of iPhone user I know use it to crack jokes. I want a smart CPU not a freaking comedian. BTW tell me one thing I couldn't do with my GSII that iPhone does? NONE. I respect people's opinion and decision. But come on with these lame excuses on why iPhone its the sh!t. WRONG!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

jjesusfreak01

Oct 24, 2011
I pulled my new S2 out yesterday at work and I was asked how I liked my new iPhone...not sure how to respond to that. They then proceeded to complain about the iOS5 update killing all of their contacts and causing various other problems.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both phones are great in their own way. You can't really compare them. It all comes down to the OS. I have some friends that love the iPhone. I can throw specs at them all day long, but they'll just say that they prefer iOS.
    On the other hand they can tell me how great everything works, how deeply intergrated everything is and how they never ever have a problem with it. And I'll just smile at them and tell them I prefer Android.

Hardware really does't make an argument in this discussion.
    No offence to the OP but YET ANOTHER damn iPhone thread on XDA there must be at least 10 already doing the rounds on the various forums:confused:

In a nutshell as ive already said i will never purchase anything Apple related regardless of the specs while they are "closed" and not open source.

Hmmm…..
    Again some people bash out against Iphone and say hallelujah to the SG2. I don’t, to neither side.
    But my personal view is that Apple has created a product that attracts tens of millions of people. And I believe that the majority of the buyers of the Iphone just want a telephone simple in use, and to show to the outside world that they are trendy.
    Not everyone phone users are interested in flashing and tweaking, like us reading XDA. If people want to by a quite expensive Iphone, let them do so. I have been doing it and maybe I will do it again someday, but not the 4S.

Right now there is two SG2 and one TAB 10.1 in our family. And I’m not impressed by the build quality of none of them. On the SG2’s, random boots, loose home button. And the TAB with Newtons rings that has to be put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, as a temporary fix. Never have I been using the freezer for anything other than food and ice cubes, before now.
    Well, they have been sent for repair today, and I hope the TAB shelf in the freezer can be used for other things when I get it back.

So why did I buy Samsung you ask? Well, I bought these units within 45 days and I didn’t know it would be so many problems with 3/ 3 Samsung products. But I give Samsung a chance and hope they will be okay when I get them back.

Some years ago, in a social event, I met the national sales director of a Japanese car company. After a few drinks he started bashing out on the quality of the cars on his biggest competitors.
    One other person asked this sales director if he regularly test drive these competitors’ cars? The sales director hesitated a few seconds before he answered ‘Yes of course!’ . But no one believed his answer, and I think almost everyone present didn’t feel he was credible.

And neither do I, when people are bashing out on products that never have been in their hands.
    I'll just leave this here...

don't even remember how that started.

At a guess, you entered the thread? :p