General Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G (SM-G9980) | TGY/BRI/CHC | Discussions, Firmware, Updates, etc.

Search This thread

mpore14

Jul 25, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
did it wipe your data? just the CSC file only right?
So, my understanding is that when you download TGY or BRI through Frija, it will give you the exact same one. At one point, I even compared the md5 of the two files and they are exactly the same.

I flashed TGY from Frija and installed everything - BL, AP, CP, CSC - used non-home CSC.
This wiped my data and factory reset.

Now, a month or so later, I wanted to go back to BRI. I downloaded BRI from Frija and flashed the same way with TGY. After all the data wipe and factory reset, the CSC remained at TGY and has remained ever since. I tried to do this another couple of times succeeding months but didn't change back to BRI.

theartialmartist

Feb 7, 2011
So, my understanding is that when you download TGY or BRI through Frija, it will give you the exact same one. At one point, I even compared the md5 of the two files and they are exactly the same.

I flashed TGY from Frija and installed everything - BL, AP, CP, CSC - used non-home CSC.
This wiped my data and factory reset.

Now, a month or so later, I wanted to go back to BRI. I downloaded BRI from Frija and flashed the same way with TGY. After all the data wipe and factory reset, the CSC remained at TGY and has remained ever since. I tried to do this another couple of times succeeding months but didn't change back to BRI.
What in the Kentucky Fried F..rija...can someone demystify this for everyone?

theartialmartist

Feb 7, 2011
Did it cost anything
No he's not talking about the paid method, this is the supposed odin method. I can't for the life of me understand how people are saying they freely switch between BRI and TGY - i just want 5G and volte options so i can properly turn them off and stop the IMS service wakelocks and 1% an hour battery drain.

Has anyone tried the U1 firmware? is there a risk of bricking the phone trying this on the OneUI 4.1 May update?

Reactions: bodomfan

bodomfan

Mar 9, 2011
Swansea
No he's not talking about the paid method, this is the supposed odin method. I can't for the life of me understand how people are saying they freely switch between BRI and TGY - i just want 5G and volte options so i can properly turn them off and stop the IMS service wakelocks and 1% an hour battery drain.

Has anyone tried the U1 firmware? is there a risk of bricking the phone trying this on the OneUI 4.1 May update?
Same here but don't know how to get it

theartialmartist

Feb 7, 2011
Mine is a Taiwan model
to answer my own question here, again, since nobody ever seems to come back and post their solutions,

The TGY and BRI firmwares are in fact identical, but Odin flashing to the China firmware (CHC?) and back to BRI/TGY forces TGY/TGY/TGY/BRI on the phone (or maybe its because my sim card was inserted this time?) - this still didn't give me 5G connectivity because Taiwan probably added 5g long ago and the posts recommending the TGY change pre-dated 5G there. And since the process factory wiped me anyway i went ahead and installed TWRP for snapdragon, no issues.

Still no 5G on my SM-G9910 using AT&T, I'm calling those ferks back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bodomfan

bodomfan

Mar 9, 2011
Swansea
to answer my own question here, again, since nobody ever seems to come back and post their solutions,

The TGY and BRI firmwares are in fact identical, but Odin flashing to the China firmware (CHC?) and back to BRI/TGY forces TGY/TGY/TGY/BRI on the phone (or maybe its because my sim card was inserted this time?) - this still didn't give me 5G connectivity because Taiwan probably added 5g long ago and the posts recommending the TGY change pre-dated 5G there. And since the process factory wiped me anyway i went ahead and installed TWRP for snapdragon, no issues.

Still no 5G on my SM-G9910 using AT&T, I'm calling those ferks back tomorrow.
So twrp works well? I'm using sm-g9980 but yeah you are right there's not much difference between the firmware

rubaja

Jul 18, 2010
Hello everyone...
So after updating my S21 ultra with the May 11 update - the 5G band hotspot has been disabled.
Is there a way to unlock it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    June patch out. CVF1. 897.31 MB. Nothing exciting, I guess.
    Update pushing out now boys
    Will we see an update before July 1st on Friday 😂😂 I need it as my camera freezes sometimes and sometimes a video on YouTube freezes the sound continues but the video is frozen , they're the only 2 bugs I have,even after a factory reset and clean installed everything
    So far, my only problem has been echoing for wifi calling. It seems another person has this problem but I haven't found this to be the case with other people.
    I don't have the camra freezes and Youtube video freezes since this update. Could this be another app in the background? I also assume you're using the latest version of youtube.
    Also, if you can be bothered, use Expert Raw. For me, it seems like it takes the better photo than the stock camera app.
    Performance seems improved and battery is a little better
    At least updates will be on time lol
    True... Atleast Apple doesn't do partiality while releasing the updates.
    Some exynos versions getting it i think
    all versions have received the update as usual excluding our g9980 son of internet explorer
    Reading in Reddit about all the bugs in UI4 it may be an advantage that we are last. Perhaps some more bugs will get ironed out..
    If I haven't received the ****ty update today, I'll flash the USA XAA snapdragon version even if my phone dead 😭.
    If I've successfully did it I'll revert, but if not I'll put my dead phone into my A** 😅
    Good luck mate... give it another day.. if this is ur daily driver, dont lose warranty just for the heck of it... its a very very expensive piece of machinery :(

Sad that a different nations regulations prevent u from receiving critical security patches!!
    Quick question, does anybody know if we can move away from the TGY/BRI CSC to any other Snapdragon variant??

And still have a working rom?

The intervention of china/hongkong carriers is scary to an entent that this is not the only update being purposefully delayed..

Any advice from anyone who knows how to permanently move away to a different country rom is highly appreciated
    If I haven't received the ****ty update today, I'll flash the USA XAA snapdragon version even if my phone dead 😭.
    If I've successfully did it I'll revert, but if not I'll put my dead phone into my A** 😅
    BETA 5 added today to the usual folder