• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Galaxy S4 camera issues (shutter lag, etc)

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
Hi folks,

Just bought my new Black Galaxy S4 (I9505) yesterday and enjoying every bit of it, but camera has been a great disappointment. I'm not sure why but the camera has some really bad lag. So much so, I have started thinking that S4 has some sort of issue with camera. I tried searching on the interent, and could not find any other complaints on S4's camera shutter.

Is there anyone else having the same issue? Let me explain the issue; when I take a picture on Auto mode (or any other mode), there is a lag between pressing the camera button and when the actual picture is taken. That is probably understandable due to auto focus (?), but most of the pictures come out blurry. Also, the frame I see in the view finder is not the same as the actual picture. I mean, the subject in the frame at the time of when I see the picture has been taken, does not come out the same when I look at the picture itself. I'm no camera expert so trying my best to explain it well. I have disabled every sort of fancy features in my camera, as well as the whole phone (air gesture, smart screen, etc) (although I'm sure that has nothing to do with the camera performance) but still the issue is still there.

Any suggestions on how to make it better. I take quite a lot of pictures and have been doing it on my S3 without any major complaints. In fact, I love SGS3 camera, and upgraded to S4 thinking it'll have a better camera, but that's not my experience till now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

artnada

May 27, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi folks,

Just bought my new Black Galaxy S4 (I9505) yesterday and enjoying every bit of it, but camera has been a great disappointment. I'm not sure why but the camera has some really bad lag. So much so, I have started thinking that S4 has some sort of issue with camera. I tried searching on the interent, and could not find any other complaints on S4's camera shutter.

Is there anyone else having the same issue? Let me explain the issue; when I take a picture on Auto mode (or any other mode), there is a lag between pressing the camera button and when the actual picture is taken. That is probably understandable due to auto focus (?), but most of the pictures come out blurry. Also, the frame I see in the view finder is not the same as the actual picture. I mean, the subject in the frame at the time of when I see the picture has been taken, does not come out the same when I look at the picture itself. I'm no camera expert so trying my best to explain it well. I have disabled every sort of fancy features in my camera, as well as the whole phone (air gesture, smart screen, etc) (although I'm sure that has nothing to do with the camera performance) but still the issue is still there.

Any suggestions on how to make it better. I take quite a lot of pictures and have been doing it on my S3 without any major complaints. In fact, I love SGS3 camera, and upgraded to S4 thinking it'll have a better camera, but that's not my experience till now.

Thanks!
Menu, settings, about, software update. See if you have an update. There was one last week and part of it was an upgrade of the camera software I think.

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
Menu, settings, about, software update. See if you have an update. There was one last week and part of it was an upgrade of the camera software I think.
Thanks for the reply! I did upgrade the software as soon as I connected my phone to wifi. I think that was the only update ever since S4 launched. Any other suggestions? I do believe that this is not a common issue, I read some camera reviews and everyone seems to be praising the shutter speed, so they must be talking about a different camera than what I have :(

Kriomag

Nov 22, 2011
Poznań
i have the same issue, i have newest software, just updated by ota. when i press sutter button i have to wait one second for picture is actually taken... so big lag, with s3 it was instant - zero shutter lag.

Reactions: wackyD and malikons

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
i have the same issue, i have newest software, just updated by ota. when i press sutter button i have to wait one second for picture is actually taken... so big lag, with s3 it was instant - zero shutter lag.
That's it! That is what I am experiencing. Not sure how to fix it. If you find anything, do let me know. I'm also looking around and trying different settings. My S3 had a super camera with no lags and pictures come out crisp, that's not what I'm getting with S4.

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
At least I am not alone. Thanks to everyone who replied. Can someone disable "auto night detection" in camera settings and see if it makes any difference? I tried changing this setting and do feel some difference but cannot tell for sure. I have seen that when you take a picture in dark and when auto night detection is enabled, shutter speed is a lot faster than usual.

I am hoping we'll find some answer within the existing phone/camera settings and dont have to hack the camera, or in worst case, change the phone.

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

ixon2001

Jul 15, 2010
Wigan
When focusing instead of letting the phone do it tap screen let it lock on then take the picture, I've had no problems using the camera on my phone pics have come out sharp.

But i do agree the camera software itself still needs abit of work doing yet, this will more likely get sorted out in future updates.

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
When focusing instead of letting the phone do it tap screen let it lock on then take the picture, I've had no problems using the camera on my phone pics have come out sharp.

But i do agree the camera software itself still needs abit of work doing yet, this will more likely get sorted out in future updates.
I see no difference between manual tapping and auto focus. The problem is still there. Thanks for the reply anyway.

gregpot2000

Jan 22, 2012
+1 after using my camera for the first real time out with friends yesterday, got some real mixed results, some ok, but a lot blurry, even in good lighting

malikons

Jul 20, 2008
Amsterdam
+1 after using my camera for the first real time out with friends yesterday, got some real mixed results, some ok, but a lot blurry, even in good lighting

Same here! I took quite a few pictures today outside in sunny weather and was very disappointed to see some blurry shots. Never had any such complaint from S3 camera. This is very disappointing. I hope samsung do something about it.

Khy50

May 25, 2012
London
Also, your hand has to be VERY still to take pictures that are in focus are not blurry. Rather disappointed as the software is absolutely awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

poweroutlet

Jul 28, 2010
This is not something that is going to get fixed with a software update, maybe improved but not fixed. Having a 13 MP camera using tiny lens and sensor will inherently cause a situation where it takes longer to gather a sufficient amount of light, hence longer exposure times and slower shutter speeds. This is the price to pay for being able to capture lots of detail out of a tiny camera. The S4's camera should not be used to capture moving targets.