• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Galaxy S4 Value Edition (GT-I9515) (jfvelte) Root, Recovery and ROMs

Search This thread

niki.grifondoro0

Aug 25, 2015
As this post is not updated, I thought to write this new one with recent information.

Root:
Use ChainFire AutoRoot from here. Working for KitKat and above.

Recovery:
TWRP 2.8.7.0 and 3.0.0: Link
CWM: The version for i9505 works well, but I didn't test all functions. Link
Philz Touch: I didn't found any working version with touch, but can be used with physical buttons. Link

ROMs:
General information:
ROMs for other S4 models doesn't work (here for details)
For Touchwiz-based ROMs you can use the kernel in this thread.
ROMs currently in development stage:
Note: CyanogenMod based ROMs may suspend development until LineageOS starts official builds
CyanogenMod 14.1: Unofficial, Testing, Android 7.1.1, thread on xda-developers
Dirty Unicorns 10.5: Unofficial, Stable, Android 6.0.1, thread on xda-developers
CyanogenMod 13.0: Unofficial, Stable, Android 6.0, thread on xda-developers, thread on CyanogenMod forum. Very stable, usable as daily driver. Root included, but chainfire SuperSU cause bootloop.
SlimLP: Unofficial, beta, Android 5.1.1, thread on xda-developers

ROMs no longer supported:
ResurrectionRemix 5.7.3: Official, Stable, Android 6.0.1, thread on xda-developers
CyanogenMod 12.1: Unofficial, Stable, Android 5.1.1, thread on xda-developers, thread on CyanogenMod Forum
CyanogenMod 11: Unofficial, Nightly, Android 4.4.4, thread on xda-developers
MIUI: Unofficial, Android 4.4, thread on xda-developers

MultiBoot:
Works fine, be sure to have around 2-3 Gb free in the insternal storage or external SD card, to make it work.
Make a backup to avoid problems.
Link to thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

Not directly related to this phone:
Xposed:
Not working on stock rom (bootloop). Works fine on other ROMs
Android 5.0/5.1/6.0 (Official)
Android 5.1 (Unofficial)

QuickBoot:
For CyanogenMod and CyanogenMod based ROMs (Lollipop only). Thread on xda-developers
"power off" works, but when try resuming the phone reboot (maybe my ROM problem). Anyway the alarm will resume the phone correctly.
When updating ROM you have to delete /system/priv-app/QuickBoot folder and /data/property/persist.sys.quickboot_ongoing and reinstall to avoid bootloop.

Last edited:

Paulo Cabral

Dec 30, 2013
Rio de Janeiro
Great work. Thanks very helpfull

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Tapatalk

The ROM SlimLp is excellent, I recommend. Brazil 9515l

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

The ROM SlimLp is excellent, I recommend. Brazil 9515l

https://plus.google.com/communities/102532721139283823393
Who has the version 9515l enter this community that has good support and a developer for 9515l version

wiibomb

Oct 4, 2015
I've been trying to root my GT-i9515 5.0.1 with the CF-Auto-Root from Chainfire, but it gets stuck and the bar never advances more since the very start. is it confirmed the Chainfire rooting works for 5.0.1 on GT-i9515?

niki.grifondoro0

Aug 25, 2015
Yes it's confirmed. Did you use the correct version (I9515)? Try to download again. Maybe there was an error when downloading.
What version of Odin did you try? I remember that 3.10 wasn't working for me. Try 3.09.
Did you install the correct driver for the phone? If not, download kies and install it. It contains driver for all the recent Samsung phone.

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Tapatalk

Y

yazirarafath

I want to root my i9515 and remove all the unwanted, pre-installed apps.

Baseband : I9515XXU1BOG3
Build : LRX22C.I9515XXU1BOG3

Please someone help me!

niki.grifondoro0

Aug 25, 2015
I want to root my i9515 and remove all the unwanted, pre-installed apps.

Baseband : I9515XXU1BOG3
Build : LRX22C.I9515XXU1BOG3

Please someone help me!

How to ROOT:
Download odin from here http://odindownload.com/download/Odin_v3.09.zip and extract the content in a folder
Put the phone in download mode (turn off and the on by pressing vol down + home +power)
confirm the message with vol up
connect the phone to your computer
start odin and and check if the phone is recognised
select the downloaded autoroot tar.md5 file from the first post in the pda (or AP) field.
click start and wait
If the phone reboot and you see the chainfire logo on the background with some text, you succesfully rooted your phone. If nothing happens check if phone driver are currently installed and redo the procedure
The download an app manager app (like Titanium Backup) and remove the app that you don't want

earth75

Apr 6, 2012
Paris
I have the ROM on my SD card, but I fail to flash TWRP...
Here is what i do :
Start the phone in DL mode
Select the TWRP tar from OP in the AP field.
Odin says "Pass!"
WHen the phone restarts, i get the Stock recovery.

What do I get wrong...

Last edited:

niki.grifondoro0

Aug 25, 2015
In odin, disable (uncheck) auto reboot, flash twrp, then shutdown phone by pressing power button for about 10 seconds, then power on in recovery (vol up + home + power)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9515 utilizzando Tapatalk

niki.grifondoro0

Aug 25, 2015
Could you please update the download links for the custom recoveries. I need to check the Philz cause I need to have a password to avoid someone accessing it. I think Philz has these feature.
Link updated, anyway, as this is the version for the normal gt-i9505, you will have to use volumes button to insert password/pin.
Also this doesn't really protect your recovery, because anyone can flash another recovery (CWM or TWRP) and bypass the pin/password

MrBrowseGierza

Sep 17, 2014
Metro Manila
www.kwentology.com
Link updated, anyway, as this is the version for the normal gt-i9505, you will have to use volumes button to insert password/pin.
Also this doesn't really protect your recovery, because anyone can flash another recovery (CWM or TWRP) and bypass the pin/password

Thanks, well I think you already tried to use all these recoveries. Twrp, cwm, and philz I guess it is my best opportunity to ask you what is the best among the 3. Specially for my i9515 your personal opinion is highly appreciated.

Top Liked Posts