Galaxy S5 Knox Reset (New Hope)

Search This thread

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
eraby6a2.jpg

It seems like there is a cure and its not impossible.. Does this mean that all that crap that people said about a physical eFuse blowing up was debunked... Meaning we have hope!!! ?????

BTW sorry i forgot to mention.. It's for the galaxy note 3..?

here's the link to the original thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2486346

Thanks in advance
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ponts

Dec 3, 2010
Can you post a link to the original thread? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Slicktune

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
someone have to test it and report it back to know :D
we hope that works

I downloaded the tar and checked it's contents.

It's for the Exynos Note 3. Both files are only for that variant. (N900)

No one should try to cross-flash them in another device, it will most likely brick your phone.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

skivnit

May 21, 2012

No one should try to cross-flash them in another device, it will most likely brick your phone.

I thought the exynos version doesn't have the fuse to trip Knox when rooting

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: kadircan9152

leviiis

Aug 5, 2013
It´s sounds great. I think it's only a matter of time until this is available for the S5. Suppose Knox is an e Fuse, Samsung will not have the time to dismantle all devices to see if the fuse is really defective, or the Knox counter was emulated.

I own myself an I9505 without Knox counter, but have never had a reason to have to return my phone. Now, I also own a G900F with Knox 0x1 (after flash) and I think if this phone was built just as good as my i9505, then the counter can be no matter to me. Consider, I have my S4 certainly flashed to 100 times.

My phones are sacred to me.

Sorry for my "english". :)

Reactions: Ripolin2 and mike28

threadstone

Apr 9, 2012
That would be great. I will buy the S5 too. I need root, but don't want to lose my warranty.

So that would be great if there is also such a tool for the S5 :)

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
So that's my question, is there really a physical fuse in there that blows when you trip the knox counter? I'm confused ?...

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Active_Matrix

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
No one can really say for sure, but from what I gather for Qualcomm it's an efuse (HW), for Exynos it's not entirely clear.

The reset that was leaked is for Exynos variant - but it's a bootloader only for the N900 (Note 3 Exynos) - it cannot be used in other devices, no matter if they are Exynos-based as well.

Reactions: mush_hussein

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
No one can really say for sure, but from what I gather for Qualcomm it's an efuse, for Exynos it's not entirely clear.

The reset that was leaked is for Exynos variant.

Wow, i was so close to rooting just now.. But after you said that... I dont think i can root yet... Idk.. J wanna rokt so bad, but im really scared to blow my efuse.. And nkt be able to recover even when they release a fix/reset... But from what i read they said that even if it's blown, the point of the reset is to make the software read 0x0 making the Samsung ppl think it's in its original state...untouched..(but really the efjse is blown) are you rooted and do you care for Warrenty?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: mush_hussein

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
So what do you say guys? Should i say f it and just f'ing do it?

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
So what do you say guys? Should i say f it and just f'ing do it?

Yes!

Anytime I have had to have my phone replaced due to a damaged charging port, broken screen ETC my carrier always ships me a new one first and then I send the broken one back. I've never ever had any issues with rooted phones any my insurance (unless you are talking about the samsung manufacturer warranty specifically?)

Reactions: Active_Matrix

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
Yes!

Anytime I have had to have my phone replaced due to a damaged charging port, broken screen ETC my carrier always ships me a new one first and then I send the broken one back. I've never ever had any issues with rooted phones any my insurance (unless you are talking about the samsung manufacturer warranty specifically?)

Thanks & no, im talking about the free 1yr T-Mobile warrenty when they send u the phone first in a box and then u put your old one in the replacement box and send it back to tmobile....does knox matter in that situation...honestly?
Thanks in advance!!?
Btw i rooted it... ? i couldnt take this lag...lol

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
Thanks & no, im talking about the free 1yr T-Mobile warrenty when they send u the phone first in a box and then u put your old one in the replacement box and send it back to tmobile....does knox matter in that situation...honestly?
Thanks in advance!!?
Btw i rooted it... ? i couldnt take this lag...lol

My carrier is T-Mobile too and I've had to get mine replaced a handful of times and I've never had any issues. Like I said, cracked screens, bad charger ports, and one time a bad radio - they "tested" the phone in the store and determined it was defective and ordered me a new one for next day delivery. None of these times have I had an issue so I doubt it matters..and really I cant imagine why it would matter for hardware issues?

Maybe Samsung is more strict with it but I would assume the phones get reflashed and refurbished to like new anyways so I doubt it matters..I think you made the right choice :D

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
My carrier is T-Mobile too and I've had to get mine replaced a handful of times and I've never had any issues. Like I said, cracked screens, bad charger ports, and one time a bad radio - they "tested" the phone in the store and determined it was defective and ordered me a new one for next day delivery. None of these times have I had an issue so I doubt it matters..and really I cant imagine why it would matter for hardware issues?

Maybe Samsung is more strict with it but I would assume the phones get reflashed and refurbished to like new anyways so I doubt it matters..I think you made the right choice :D
When u send it back tho did u have to pay something for the cracked screen (im asumming thats insurance..and not warrenty) and warrenty is usually physical... which one did u use?? ?

Thanks in advance!!

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
When u send it back tho did u have to pay something for the cracked screen (im asumming thats insurance..and not warrenty) and warrenty is usually physical... which one did u use?? ?

Thanks in advance!!

The cracked screens I had to pay a deductible for since that would be hard to argue it was a defect lol but the charger port and bad radios was replaced for free without any hassle at all.

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
The cracked screens I had to pay a deductible for since that would be hard to argue it was a defect lol but the charger port and bad radios was replaced for free without any hassle at all.

Wowzers... so bad charger ports and radios were thru free warrenty? And only the cracked screen was thru insurance (with deductable) correct?☺

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
Wowzers... so bad charger ports and radios were thru free warrenty? And only the cracked screen was thru insurance (with deductable) correct?☺

That is correct! I am slightly surprised the charging port issue got replaced for free as that is very easy to break as a end-user (I honestly don't know if I damaged the port or if it was just bad) but I don't see how the radio could be anything that someone could cause damage to themselves?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many are speaking of 'the S5'. It very depends on the type of SoC (Qualcomm or Exynos). Also when reading the thread there are many pointless assumptions without tech. background. Both bootchains are different. Also one q-fuse can theoretically re-set the state of another when programmed that way (odd / even).

Knox is a combination of bootloader / kernel implementation / Knox system apps and the 'flag'. There are different ways how Knox flag could be triggered.
    It depends on where I modify and what I modify and when I modify. AFAIK both kernels and the bootloader are digitally signed (recovery and OS). As soon as the digital signature of one of the kernel has changed Knox will be triggered, also when flashing an unsigned bootloader.
    Custom roms can be applied as long as the stock kernel remains untouched.

The primary control instance is the bootloader itself (flashing with Odin). Now we're having towel root. Nobody knows exactly how 'knox' knows when the kernel has changed. Is it the bootloader directly that verifies on any boot? Is there code that calculates the 'new' signature?

Hi there, may I introduce some mind boggling facts into your assumption as well?

I have the Canadian Note 3, and I am currently the OP of the N900W8 KNOX 0x0 guide.

I added an educated answer to why this is happening only for our devices on my thread, if you want to check it out.

I am on NA2 bootloader (Mexican leaked), Custom Recovery, Custom Kernel, Custom ROM - and KNOX is still at 0x0.

The fact that people have been using MOP to flash custom ROMs and keep KNOX at 0x0 shows that custom ROMs don't trigger the flag, and neither do modem flashes. It is all within the Recovery-Kernel TrustZone.

To answer your "Nobody knows exactly how 'knox' knows when the kernel has changed" with an educated theoretical answer - KNOX tests for Su/checks typical directories for Su and hence it starts crashing (but this doesn't mean that it would trip KNOX, it has just detected an unsafe environment in the userland) [Which is why people disable KNOX/uninstall KNOX on custom ROMs - disabling KNOX through SuperSU has no adverse effects towards the flag].

If you take a look at how KNOX functions, you will know what the so-called TrustZone is, which is typically why after the SECOND reboot after a normal root using Odin, your flag would be tripped on a normal device. Your phone goes into it's boot algorithm called "Secure Boot" which verifies the signatures on the bootloader, kernel and occasionally system software. As CF-Root is injected into a partition without any need of authentication or permissions, it will automatically boot after applying the "update", bypassing the check once, but after a reboot, poof goes your KNOX.

If I could dumb it down any further, when regarding Towelroot and not getting KNOX 0x1, it is because it is essentially a backdoor exploit using the signed Samsung kernel, which does not breach any of the TrustZone partition checks. A userland exploit, while gaining the help of the kernel (either through a backdoor or a buffer overflow) will not, and is unable to, destroy any higher level system structures such as the Kernel, ROM structure or Bootloader (as an office worker can't just fire their boss, they can still help and change ideas of their boss, but they can't make them *not* the boss (digitally UNsign him to trip KNOX)). However changing the officer in the company just by firing and hiring a new one, can easily corrupt the company by changing rules of the lower hierarchical members (Using Odin to inject Auto CF-Root). This is KNOX's main rule, written out for us to know.

All I can say is, after nearly a full year with my Canadian Note 3 and half a year with KNOX 0x0, this answer is the car and the driver relationship. The Car being the bootloader, and the driver being the kernel. As these are the two main things that KNOX loves tripping us on, I can safely assume that the bootloader is the key reason why people get tripped KNOXes.

Some useful information here on KNOX: http://www.samsung.com/my/business-..._whitepaper_An_Overview_of_Samsung_KNOX-0.pdf
    Problem is you guys are just having chit chats on this thread with no helpful development - hence it's under General, go find sh*t out yourself and don't ask to get spoonfed answers.

If you want to know what's happening, this is the bounty thread that just has bounties: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2486346

This is the useful thread you should try to understand 100% before just blatantly asking whether there's a fix or not: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2642207

This was our last hope: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2721505 (which contained the actual Qualcomm certificate signing tool to reset KNOX, if you guys have been following the right threads, you would have already gotten hands on this)
    Knox won't ever be cracked, ever. NSA approved.
    All that meas is that they already know how to crack it :angel:
    eraby6a2.jpg

It seems like there is a cure and its not impossible.. Does this mean that all that crap that people said about a physical eFuse blowing up was debunked... Meaning we have hope!!! ?????

BTW sorry i forgot to mention.. It's for the galaxy note 3..?

here's the link to the original thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2486346

Thanks in advance
    someone have to test it and report it back to know :D
    we hope that works