Galaxy s6 overheating?

Search This thread
Jan 9, 2016
I just received my GS6 like 2 weeks ago and ive obviously been using it. My question is Is it ok for the right edge of the phone to get somewhat hot and for the CPU to reach 70°C? (Checked using CPU-Z, I know CPUs are supposed to get hot but this hot on a phone?) from using apps such as snapchat or listening to music and chatting or even the camera for a few minutes? Coming from the original Galaxy S, this doesnt seem okay to me.

EDIT: It only reached 70C only once. The other times it got to the 60s.

Last edited:

warface123

Jun 13, 2012
Miami
I just received my GS6 like 2 weeks ago and ive obviously been using it. My question is Is it ok for the right edge of the phone to get somewhat hot and for the CPU to reach 70°C? (Checked using CPU-Z, I know CPUs are supposed to get hot but this hot on a phone?) from using apps such as snapchat or listening to music and chatting or even the camera for a few minutes? Coming from the original Galaxy S, this doesnt seem okay to me.

EDIT: It only reached 70C only once. The other times it got to the 60s.
That's definitely not good, my max temp has been around 50~ish, if I was use I'd keep a close eye on it and if it continues like that go to the store you bought it and tell there's a fault with your phone.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2016
That's definitely not good, my max temp has been around 50~ish, if I was use I'd keep a close eye on it and if it continues like that go to the store you bought it and tell there's a fault with your phone.

Ughh, my battery temps are okay around the 30s, but my CPU is kinda bad.. The idle temps are around the 40s.

warface123

Jun 13, 2012
Miami
Ughh, my battery temps are okay around the 30s, but my CPU is kinda bad.. The idle temps are around the 40s.
Mine is around the 40s as well, it isn't necessarily bad or anything but 70s that's like overheating, idk what the max temperature is for the Galaxy S6 but I've got the feeling your coming close to it

Jan 9, 2016
Mine is around the 40s as well, it isn't necessarily bad or anything but 70s that's like overheating, idk what the max temperature is for the Galaxy S6 but I've got the feeling your coming close to it

I know right.. specially for a mobile device 70 is kinda pushing it. I'll use the device in safe mode and see if it overheats and report back.

Jan 9, 2016

Wasnt able to measure temperatures but it did feel pretty hot (the right edge where the power button is) after using the camera for a bit, uninstalled a few apps just in case and ran Geekbench 3 and here are my scores, and compared to other s6s its quite low
Single core: 1353
Multicore: 4383

warface123

Jun 13, 2012
Miami
Wasnt able to measure temperatures but it did feel pretty hot (the right edge where the power button is) after using the camera for a bit, uninstalled a few apps just in case and ran Geekbench 3 and here are my scores, and compared to other s6s its quite low
Single core: 1353
Multicore: 4383

My geekbench 3 scores are:
Single core: 1484
Multicore:5043

emmawilliam834

Jan 4, 2016
The easiest and most basic way to fix the Galaxy S6 overheating issue is to restart your Galaxy S6. Just switch off your Galaxy S6 phone. Wait for a few minutes and then turn it on again. It is quite possible that this small restart might fix the Galaxy S6 overheating issue.

Jan 9, 2016
The easiest and most basic way to fix the Galaxy S6 overheating issue is to restart your Galaxy S6. Just switch off your Galaxy S6 phone. Wait for a few minutes and then turn it on again. It is quite possible that this small restart might fix the Galaxy S6 overheating issue.

I have done that and well it's still the same.. Although i further tested and saw that my idle temps are around 35-38C

Jan 9, 2016
Depends on your room/surrounding temperature as well! In summer when it was like 33-35°C, my cpu never fell below 45C and battery always around 28-31C idle!
I think cpu starts throttling at 80C. Try Greenifying some apps as well!

Ive further tested and found out my idling temps are around 35C-38C which is good, phone is running okayish now but yes ill greenify some apps. Also are you from mauritius?

bahmonkeys

Sep 30, 2011
Install titanium app and freeze any random rogue apps. The CPU going to 70degs is not a bad thing usually the max temp would be over 100degs. Do you have the charger plugged in and you are using the phone, and you are getting those high temperatures while doing this? If so switch to a normal charger if you want to use your phone while it's plugged in. Fast charging while bring more power/heat to your phone so be aware of that