Galaxy S8 boot loop after trying to install an older version of Magisk

Search This thread

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
First, I should point out that I'm just a user, not a developer or hacker. I'm posting this because I don't know where else to ask for help.
This will most likely look like the post of an idiot. But, oh, well, I did manage to mess up my phone, which means I am an idiot. So here it goes: I had 16.0 installed and I tried to install 14.0 from TWRP recovery mode. Basically, Magisk hide wasn't working very well so I wanted to see if it worked with an older version. Now my phone is stuck in a boot loop. It just shows "Samsung Galaxy S8 powered by Android" then restarts. I can boot into TWRP and connect the phone to the PC to access the storage this way, but I can't boot into the OS. Is there any way I can fix this, preferably without losing my data?

I tried flashing the official uninstaller, but I get the message "Update process ended with ERROR: 1"

Here's what the log says about the uninstaller:

Mounting /system, /vendor
-Device platform: arm64
cp: can't stat '/dev/tmp/install/arm64/.': No such file or directory
! Cannot find /data/adb/magisk
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
I:Install took 1 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/Download/Magisk-uninstaller-20180429.zip'
Updating partition details...
I: Data backup size is 32943MB, free: 2620MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usb-otg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'vfat'
...done
I:Set page: 'flash_done'
I: operation_end - status=1

I looked at the contents of the zip on my computer, and it doesn't have an arm64 folder. So the uninstaller doesn't work on arm64 phones?

Update: I managed to uninstall Magisk using a compatible uninstaller, but the phone still doesn't boot into the OS.

Update 2: if I have to flash the stock ROM, I'm planning to do the next thing: back up my data partition to an external hard drive with TWRP. After I flash the ROM and wipe everything, I want to reinstall TWRP and restore that backup. Would this cause any issues?

Last edited:

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
Thanks. I've just left home and I'll be away for two days. I didn't take the S8 with me, so I won't be able to try any more fixes until Sunday. But I'll check then and update my post if there are any more issues.

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
In that case, restoring the stock boot image manually might work. If not, a complete restoration of your device's stock setup might be necessary.

Your device's forum is likely the best place to get further help.

I tried flashing the stock boot image and it still doesn't work. Stock restoration it is then.

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
In that case, restoring the stock boot image manually might work. If not, a complete restoration of your device's stock setup might be necessary.

Your device's forum is likely the best place to get further help.

One more question, though: I backed up my data partition to an external hard drive with TWRP. After I flash the stock ROM and wipe my data, I want to reinstall TWRP and restore that backup. Would this work or would it cause problems?

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
One more question, though: I backed up my data partition to an external hard drive with TWRP. After I flash the stock ROM and wipe my data, I want to reinstall TWRP and restore that backup. Would this work or would it cause problems?

If you get your device up and running after the wipe and reinstall, you could always try restoring the backup. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't you can just wipe /data again.

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
If you get your device up and running after the wipe and reinstall, you could always try restoring the backup. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't you can just wipe /data again.

Is there any other partition I should back up? That is, aside from the internal storage, which I've already taken care of.

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
Is there any other partition I should back up? That is, aside from the internal storage, which I've already taken care of.
Not if you're flashing back to stock anyways. Sounds like something is borked anyways so restoring anything might cause problems (including data). I would just start over. It's just data. Apps can be re installed. Contacts re sync.
I would start fresh, make sure it boots, make a full backup, then try restoring only data. Remember that /data may contain some of your old magisk stuff that may have added to the problem. So do that at your own risk. What data could be worth all that hassle?

Try to think of it like, if that phone got smashed, and you got a free replacement tomorrow. You'd survive right? Even without that data?
And definitely don't try to flash a magisk version that old over one that new one again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Didgeridoohan

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6

Good advice by @madbat99.

Personally I only ever keep TWRP backups of the devices I test stuff on. But then I do a full backup of the device to have an easy way to get back to the setup I want.

On my everyday device I only keep a backup of the internal storage and messages (Signal). It's so easy to restore apps and other stuff anyway, so I don't really bother...

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
Good advice by @madbat99.

Personally I only ever keep TWRP backups of the devices I test stuff on. But then I do a full backup of the device to have an easy way to get back to the setup I want.

On my everyday device I only keep a backup of the internal storage and messages (Signal). It's so easy to restore apps and other stuff anyway, so I don't really bother...

I did all that, but Magisk 19.1 still doesn't work. Some older versions work though. I tried Magisk 18.0, 18.0, 19.0 and 19.1. Only 18.0 and 18.1 worked. So I'm assuming there's a problem with the newer versions of Magisk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not if you're flashing back to stock anyways. Sounds like something is borked anyways so restoring anything might cause problems (including data). I would just start over. It's just data. Apps can be re installed. Contacts re sync.
    I would start fresh, make sure it boots, make a full backup, then try restoring only data. Remember that /data may contain some of your old magisk stuff that may have added to the problem. So do that at your own risk. What data could be worth all that hassle?

Try to think of it like, if that phone got smashed, and you got a free replacement tomorrow. You'd survive right? Even without that data?
    And definitely don't try to flash a magisk version that old over one that new one again.