• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Galaxy SII audio hardware analysis - now with detailled review.

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Update: Detailed audio review of the Galaxy S II now published on Anandtech:

Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Still this thread is an excellent source of info and the diversity of peoples feedback is well worth a read.

Original message:
Hi!

Some of you maybe followed early findings shared on twitter: partial unconfirmed informations and contradictory confirmations.

But now, Galaxy SII is out and a few people have if already!
I don't have one but maybe you can let me help you grab accurate informations from your devices, that we will share here on this thread with everyone.

Also, exploring a device is always a fun process, so.. lets do that :)

Last edited:

ziggazee

Jan 23, 2009
Cool, well il try my best to help u with wateva info u need. Not really tech saavy n this is my first android device, So

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

awesome-member

Dec 30, 2010
kent uk
the audio on sgs 2 is not at all but i still prefer sgs. they both have a bit different sound signature. i felt mids and highs better on sgs.i have only tested these on a daft punk flac so its my first impression.

THIS IS MY PERSONAL opinion.

awesome-member

Dec 30, 2010
kent uk
You really do hate SGS2 don't you? Crappy sound, crappy screen :/.

yeah its crappy. its the worst phone ever made.:p
but on a serious note the font does not look look as smooth as i thought it would. may be i expected too much of this device. what i am really pleased with device is that it does not have the blueish ting that we saw on first sgs. the audio on sgs2 is much better compared to the sgs stock. the FM in sgs2 has bass unlike the original sgs. yesterday evening i did notice a slight 'Hiss' sound when i was using few apps to connect to web but i tried to recreate the 'Hiss' sound again today but i couldn't(no hiss). the sgs 2 is has very good audio but its just i prefer sound signature from voodoo(you may prefer sgs2 its all down to individual ).
again its my FIRST impression

fallenguru

Apr 14, 2011
*bump*

I'd really like to know what the SGS2's audio specs are. The measured specs of the stock setup and the theoretical ones, i. e. those on the chip's datasheet, would both be very interesting.

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
*bump*

I'd really like to know what the SGS2's audio specs are. The measured specs of the stock setup and the theoretical ones, i. e. those on the chip's datasheet, would both be very interesting.

The chip in there is this one, with a standard ALSA driver:

Code:
<6>[    1.117629] ALSA device list:
<6>[    1.117642]   #0: C1-YMU823 (mc1n2)

I didn't find datasheet for it. It's probably a new design specifically done for Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Detailed audio review of the Galaxy S II now published on Anandtech:

Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Still this thread is an excellent source of info and the diversity of peoples feedback is well worth a read.

Original message:
    Hi!

Some of you maybe followed early findings shared on twitter: partial unconfirmed informations and contradictory confirmations.

But now, Galaxy SII is out and a few people have if already!
    I don't have one but maybe you can let me help you grab accurate informations from your devices, that we will share here on this thread with everyone.

Also, exploring a device is always a fun process, so.. lets do that :)
    As promised: here is my Galaxy S II detailed audio review :)
    I wrote it as I'd like to read it for a long time on other websites.

And its part of an insane in-depth review from Anandtech team. Awesome guys.

As writing review is really something new for me I need your feedback & critic: don't hesitate to be harsh or contradict me. Its a first and I want to make better text time!
    so any chance of a audio volume boost? as soon as a tweak settings with the equalizer app to increase the bass the volume gets so low.

I'm working at the moment on a new project to allow easier programming of low level audio hacks for much more devices than those supported in Voodoo Sound.
    I want Voodoo Sound to stay dedicated on audiophile-capable devices, but there's a high demand for other kind of boost or hacks.

I make no promise here, but its likely Galaxy S II headphone amp boost (analog!) may become one.
    Woohoo - it must be christmas. Just today someone posted the complete service manual of the SGS2 and it's a good one! Over 100 pages with even level 3 service instructions - down to chip and part level, basically schematics of the phone :).

Grab it, as long as it's up: 56542824-Samsung-GT-i9100-service-manual.pdf

P.S.: Ignore the post if it's already known.
    I'm upgrading to the latest KE7 and will tell you if the audio situation changed or not.

Well, as soon as my battery is full enough for Kies which is very demanding :D